Vendnet = Biggest Ripoff in World?

A lot of vending repair places ship things in priority mail.  Most of the parts are at least the size of a small box.  It's very possible that you paid more for shipping than the parts themselves.  Vendnet is USI's website and, although things can be pricey, I wouldn't call them a ripoff necessarily.

32 minutes ago, Anacapa Vending said:

Did you have them do express delivery? 

Try and find a local vending machine retailer.  Support your local economy. 

I asked about shipping and he just said I would get a tracking number in mail. I didn't specifcy! I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about it. If it wasn't express mailed it better be a 14-k gold-encrusted envelope! 

I'm still going to request they make it right, without calling I feel bamboozled

I can't speak for them but it's common practice that things are shipped priority.  I shop from two different sources regularly and the parts are almost always shipped in priority boxes and I get them within a two or three days, sometimes one day depending on what time I called in the order.  If you don't specify how to mail, they'll ship it the "default" way.  Not defending them, but it is the norm.  On the plus side, you get your parts fast and you can fix your machines quick.

When I order parts, I try to order several parts at a time so I get my money's worth in shipping.  D&S vending is my primary source and they almost always ship it fast unless I specify something else.  To be honest, when you're buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff, the $25'ish shipping doesn't really mean much.  Since youve just started out recently (as far as I know), you'll obviously be more sensitive to shipping costs and things like that.  I'm really trying to tell you not to feel so upset about it.  If you let something as simple as that get on your nerves, you'll get burnt out real quick.  It is possible that a mistake was made in some way but I recently paid $5 for a couple bolts for my car and it cost me $12 for shipping of these 4 bolts.  They aren't huge bolts either.

1 hour ago, AngryChris said:

I can't speak for them but it's common practice that things are shipped priority.  I shop from two different sources regularly and the parts are almost always shipped in priority boxes and I get them within a two or three days, sometimes one day depending on what time I called in the order.  If you don't specify how to mail, they'll ship it the "default" way.  Not defending them, but it is the norm.  On the plus side, you get your parts fast and you can fix your machines quick.

When I order parts, I try to order several parts at a time so I get my money's worth in shipping.  D&S vending is my primary source and they almost always ship it fast unless I specify something else.  To be honest, when you're buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff, the $25'ish shipping doesn't really mean much.  Since youve just started out recently (as far as I know), you'll obviously be more sensitive to shipping costs and things like that.  I'm really trying to tell you not to feel so upset about it.  If you let something as simple as that get on your nerves, you'll get burnt out real quick.  It is possible that a mistake was made in some way but I recently paid $5 for a couple bolts for my car and it cost me $12 for shipping of these 4 bolts.  They aren't huge bolts either.

Thanks AngryChris. I won't let it get to me, however I have learned a lesson! As for your suggestion, I only needed one but I ordered 5 just so I could have some extra on-hand for the future!

Vendnet usually ships UPS. UPS isn't cheap. You also need to figure in the cost of the shipping materials and labor. Any manufacturer that sells parts will probably have charged close to the same and I know of one that would have been more. Honestly, everyone is allowed to make a profit on what they do. Your frieght would have been the sme for that size package if it was a $1000 part if it was the same size. It is part of the cost of doing business. What Angry Chris does is the way it should be done. Or you could have spent an hour going to your local hardware store and searched for the parts and saved money and wasted time.

My reply was going to be exactly what Bill's is.  When you order as much stuff as we do you find out that nothing from the manufacturers is shipped for less than $15 now if sent via UPS or the more expensive FedEx.  They all have major shipping accounts and the big two shippers are the most efficient and dependable shippers.  When I order it comes in UPS or FedEx but I always try to ship Priority Mail myself because it's cheaper for the customer.  I can assure you though that UPS and FedEx are much easier for the manufacturers to deal with so this won't change for them.  It's a cost of doing business for you and and an expense on your P&L.  Don't sweat the small stuff - though it's annoying.

I believe that those who don't know, think vending is a easy, get rich quick, highway.  We've all been where you are at right now, it's called "the school of hard knocks."  You're learning, so learn.  Don't make the same mistakes over and over, and please don't publish every little injustice that comes your way.  It's hard, and long work, and not for those who are crybabies.  Just saying.

I know when I'm ordering parts, it's typically because I have a machine down or not working properly, so I need those parts yesterday. I also try to shop around to get the best price with shipping. 

I believe that those who don't know, think vending is a easy, get rich quick, highway.  We've all been where you are at right now, it's called "the school of hard knocks."  You're learning, so learn.  Don't make the same mistakes over and over, and please don't publish every little injustice that comes your way.  It's hard, and long work, and not for those who are crybabies.  Just saying.

Who are you calling crybaby?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

To anybody who thinks vending is an easy, get rich quick highway to success.  And then realizes that it's an effort of long hours and hard work, who then complains about minor, and irritating lessons learned along the way.  Why?

I've kept parts off machines I know I will never use! But I have parts when friends or know vendors need that strange part you will not find on a website.

When I order parts it a multiple of different items for different machines, because of shipping. Plus with some places you must order over $25 worth of parts.

Good luck in your ventures of vending. It's a school of hard knocks!

1 hour ago, CajunCandy said:

I've kept parts off machines I know I will never use! But I have parts when friends or know vendors need that strange part you will not find on a website.

When I order parts it a multiple of different items for different machines, because of shipping. Plus with some places you must order over $25 worth of parts.

Ah yes, I can just see it now,  boxes and boxes of mud encrusted crap even AZ (our resident hoarder) wouldn't want.  All packed under your mom's house. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10 hours ago, wegroup said:

To anybody who thinks vending is an easy, get rich quick highway to success.  And then realizes that it's an effort of long hours and hard work, who then complains about minor, and irritating lessons learned along the way.  Why?

Turning a positive conversation into negative. Thumbs up! 

I don't know a lot about vending, but other than that you have no idea what you are talking about if your vague comments are directed at me, you're very assumptive! 

For the record: I talked to Vendnet today and everything was "righted". The guy was very understanding, and apparently UPS is the guilty party! 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

I asked about shipping and he just said I would get a tracking number in mail. I didn't specifcy! I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about it. If it wasn't express mailed it better be a 14-k gold-encrusted envelope! 

I'm still going to request they make it right, without calling I feel bamboozled

So with regards to the last line, Vendnet came through big-time! 

6 hours ago, CajunCandy said:

Some people I've talked to recommend this and some don't (one guy explicitly said "don't buy machines for parts". I think ultimately if you have the space it's a good idea to keep around some spare parts machines, especially if you can get them for a good deal?

19 hours ago, Technivend said:

Vendnet usually ships UPS. UPS isn't cheap. You also need to figure in the cost of the shipping materials and labor. Any manufacturer that sells parts will probably have charged close to the same and I know of one that would have been more. Honestly, everyone is allowed to make a profit on what they do. Your frieght would have been the sme for that size package if it was a $1000 part if it was the same size. It is part of the cost of doing business. What Angry Chris does is the way it should be done. Or you could have spent an hour going to your local hardware store and searched for the parts and saved money and wasted time.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I went to Ace hardware first and got the closest size(s), but had some difficulty installing it. I just decided to order the 100% correct part from Vendnet.

Please excuse my directness.  As an older man, I often forget about the younger, more gentle youth of today.  There is no excuse for rudeness, nor causing conflict on this great informational forum.  However, it is discouraging to look at posts such as, "how do I remove this screw?" "what part is this?" "where do I buy a water slide?" without being somewhat direct.  So please, accept my apology, and as you said earlier, "you (meaning me) have no idea what you are talking about,"  and good luck with your endeavors. 

Apology accepted :/

After several business ventures I get the school of hard knocks, I see what you're saying and I'll try to be more subservient as a younger man next time.

The stereotype of a millennial doesn't fit me, there's a hard-working reason behind why I could quit my job and afford to buy a route rather than starting with a couple machines.

On that note, I bought small so I could learn and grow! Whereas some "dumb" people might go all-in right away..?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You're doing fine.  Don't let old farts bother you man.  This forum is too valuable to have a grudge.  Personally, I only know of two people who really rub me the wrong way on this forum and I know at least one guy knows it but the other guy is a complete moron anyway.  Regardless, I won't let someone else get me all pissed off when this forum has probably been the most helpful thing to my business as far as learning repairs goes.  I don't know if I count as a millennial at the ripe-old age of 32, but I did start as a driver at the age of 21 and got into business for myself at the age of 25.  I may or may not look like it from my posts, but I am relatively young compared to quite a few people here.

I'm not telling you how to live your life, but little things in this business (or any business probably, but vending is what I know) can seriously piss you off if you can't control yourself.  You got upset with vendnet over a shipping charge.  Yes, it was later corrected, but it got you ticked off.  A man made a comment on the forum and you got ticked off.  If you take my advice for anything, try to not let the little things bother you.  Most of us here have dealt with TERRIBLE days where you just want someone to approach you with even a ridiculously low offer just so you can accept it and walk away.  Some real crap happens sometimes and you NEED to be able to just let it go.  No level of ego or pride is worth losing a good account in my opinion.  Yes, I will kiss a good customer's golpher if it means making good money, at least while I am on location.

How you live your life is your choice, but you'll be so miserable in this business if you let even little things such as a snarky forum comment or a $15 shipping charge get your heart rate up.  It gets much worse than that.

The first rule of business is “if the customers can’t or will not pay for all costs plus a fair profit, we must go out of this business”

There are lots of ways to lose money in the shipping department.

1 Shipping even small parts in envelopes is risky business. Yes the postage costs are lower than boxes but the trade off is will the sorting machines rip open the envelope and allow the parts to escape. Who pays for the lost parts? Who gets to deal with the PO customer that gets the empty envelope?

2 If you do not have smart focused people in the shipping department expensive mistakes get made and good people do not work cheap. How many minutes of labor do you think Vendnet has in entering, picking, boxing and shipping your $20 transaction?  

My guess is they lost money on this transaction.

Walta

Archived