T-lock stuck

I have an AP snack machine that has the 1/4 turn T-lock. I can turn the key to the tube lock... but the T-lock will not pop out.

I was in a hurry previously, and the T-lock would not turn the full 1/4 turn. So in order to lock the door, I forced it clockwise until it locked shut. Big mistake!!

....Now it won't open.

I tried a similar machine that was already open. I put pressure on the lock and noticed that the T-lock on it would not pop out either. It seems that pressure causes intense friction.... so It would take a great deal of pulling on the key to get the T-lock to pop out.

Anyone else encounter this? Any suggestions? I have tried plyers, a hammer, and WD-40.

I'll give it a shot.  I have several machines that have some lock issues for various reasons, and almost all of those issues were either already there when I acquired the machines OR the result of being moved and no longer being level... or just vandalism.

If there is a lot of friction on the lock, then the BEST advice I can give you is to smack the lock as you pull on the lock, but don't pull so hard that you might break the key.  I have a couple machines (USI's are notorious for this) that get hung up.  I simply put the key in and turn it until I know it is unlocked and start giving the t-handle several whacks with my fist until it breaks free.  This is a very common practice with me.

As for the cause, I can only speculate but much of what happens is that either the machine is not level and the door is sagging or the door is bent some other way and it is not seating properly.  With many USI and AP machines, I often have to lift up on the door and/or put pressure near the top-right corner of the machine to make sure the door is completely seated against the cabinet before I turn the t-handle to lock it.  With some USI machines, the harness going to the bottom of the cabinet tend to get wedged between the door and the cabinet itself, making it harder to close than it already is in some cases.

So.. my advice to you is to unlock it and give it a couple whacks with your fist (with the soft side opposite of your thumb.  Don't use your knuckles lol).  I need a few locks worked on but I am proud to say that I have NEVER had to replace a lock (except a tri-teq lock) in over 6 years.  It's not a huge accomplishment, but vendors cause probably 95% of lock-related issues by slamming doors too hard or overtightening them.

Finally got it unstuck!

I put the key in and tied a bungee cord to it, and pulled as tight as I could without breaking the key off. Then used pliers to wiggle it loose enough where I could get a screw driver under the T-handle to pry it loose.

Archived