New to bulk questions about Texas regulations

JL DISTRIBUTING

Hello folks just purchased my first machine and also have secured a location.i visited my city office today to find out about permits they said $15 per machine.Which is fine I only plan on doing 25 cent bulk candy,are there any requirements I need to do thru the state.The state comptroller website said 60 dollars annually per vending machine plus $200 for coin operated license.I am trying not too overthink all of the confusion any help from someone who sells in Texas would be greatly appreciated.

Just got off the phone with the state comptroller I am ok no licence needed,but need the 15 dollar permit per machine from the city I am in.I just secured 2 new locations a mechanic shop and a transmission shop so it's coming together.Thanks for any advice and encouragement.

That really is high for a bulk vending machine. I would make positively sure they are not charging you for an amusement or full line type of machine by mistake. I would make it clear that it is a GUMBALL type of candy machine. $15 bucks annually per machine will add up quick. If you had 200 machines on the street that would automatically be 3k off of your bottom line right off the bat every year.

Yeah make sure to mention "bulk vending". I know oklahoma requires $5 per head, so a 5 head rack would cost $25 per year. $15 a head, sounds like they dont understand what u mean. Heres another thought: look around the area for other toy racks in grocery stores or walmart, and see if they have any permit stickers.

Good news,since the state of Texas doesn't charge a fee to operate bulk 25,or 50 cent machines.The city based their fee permit on 1/4 of what the state does so there will be no fee per machine for me.That makes this process a lot easier as I am trying to build my business.

• 1 year later...

This thread has also been very helpful as a Texan first entering this industry.

Question 1: Is anyone bulk vending (gumballs etc) in Austin? Did you find that you needed the supposed Austin permit?

According to this it appears so:  http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Health/Environmental/Food/vendingmachinepermitapp_2_14_13.pdf

Question 2: What is the best way to cover my 'assets'?  LLC instead of DBA; or DBA with some kind of insurance? How are y'all, technical term, covering y'all's assets?

Many thanks

Archived