Help! Need experienced opinions on potential route!

I just found a route for sale around the corner from me. It's $15000 for 10 machines in 7 established locations. The guy said it grosses 20k a year and it takes one day to service per week. I need opinions on if I should buy it or not! I'm 17 and new to the business also. What should I ask of him to present and should I negotiate?

Office- 1 Coke 1 snack

Call center- 1 Coke 1 snack

Club house- 1 side by side

Airport- 1 combo

Wholesale- 1 coke

Private club- 1 Coke 1 snack

Dormitory- 1 snack

Well, it's not horrible, but only about $165 per machine per month average.  It may be a good starter route for you if you can afford it.  Depending on the age and condition of the equipment and if you can see some verification of his sales, my personal call might be to offer him 10,000 to 12,000 if the machines are all his and in good condition.  He may want more if he is including a lot of inventory, that would be your call on the value (quantity, quality, and remaining shelf life all play into that).   If the drink machines are loaned from Coke that would reduce the value, and you would also have to determine if you could take over his Coke account or open your own.  Other factors would be if any extra equipment was included (hand trucks, storage shelves, coin counters, vehicles) and don't forget the change bank cash (buy his change banks or be prepared to bring your own).  If you are prepared to offer cash he will probably be willing to drop his price some.  Also, why is he selling?  Is this his entire vending business or is he just selling off his worst accounts? 

Archived