Route driver performance

We currently have 3 routes and our drivers are averaging 16 to 18 machines per day for service. I am curious as to how that compares to others on the board. We are in a densely populated area just south of Washington dc. Thanks for any info you can share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That's about the number that I had my guys doing back in the 90's using route tickets and picking products off their trucks. They did full line stuff including food and coffee and their days ranged from 8 -12 hours depending on the schedule.  If this is how you do it then that average is not out of line.  If you are using remote data and they don't go in to inventory the machines but just pick and stock from data or if you pre-kit then they should be able to do much more than that.  Besides, if all three are averaging 16-18 independently of each other then that is probably the best they can do in the hours they work.  I doubt they would be colluding with each other, but you are in the Washington, DC area, so.....:P

Drivers load their own and most of them go home in their trucks so in the morning they go straight to work. We use the Hackney bay trucks so they load quickly. Their drinks are also pulled for them and are waiting on pallets. 

IMG_20160811_143846_hdr_zpsapagzs0x.jpg

Yes, we do still go in and inventory the account, then pick off our trucks and fill. I have one driver who has been with me for 10 years that knocks out 18 to 22 machines per day, but the newer guys struggle with 16 machines sometimes and end up working too many hours and get burnt out.

That would be due to

1. Not training them all in the same most efficient service methods including identical truck setups

2. Less motivated route drivers

3. More spread out accounts

4. More time consuming machines on their routes

If not #1 then I'd bet on #2, especially if they are people from the ME or X generations.  If your top driver is just a more driven individual then you might not get anyone else up to his speed.  But make sure the top guy isn't taking any short cuts like filling coin mechs, rotating dates, merchandising correctly, properly cleaning coffee machines, taking care of refunds, etc.  Expect and Inspect.

I agree, now that you guys have chimed in. I was a little worried that we were underperforming at first, but it seems we aren't too bad after all. I guess you never know until you ask.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, vavendor said:

Yes, we do still go in and inventory the account, then pick off our trucks and fill. I have one driver who has been with me for 10 years that knocks out 18 to 22 machines per day, but the newer guys struggle with 16 machines sometimes and end up working too many hours and get burnt out.

My drivers service 18-24 machines, without prekitting, just like yours.  One route has 30 machines on it and is completed.  How do you pay your drivers?  Hourly or commission?  My drivers are straight commission and can (and will) handle a large route.  I have found that hourly drivers will make fewer stops take much longer, just to put in the hours and work less.  You may want to ride along once in a while, just to make sure they are not "milking" the time.  And as AZVendor mentioned,  it's all about the training.  Maybe have them ride along with your ACE driver to get a good feel on how a route should be serviced.

2 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I recently did about 22 machines in 9 hours and collected $1200. I had already loaded the day before. I think 20 machines at over 1200 is good.

That makes your average collections $55 per machine which is half of optimum. Either your machines are small or you over service them. The sweet spot is working a machine when it's 65% empty. If there is a high number of sold outs, then you need to double up on what's selling and take out what is not selling. Sold outs should be 8% or less

Flint, I pay a daily salary, though I definitely see the advantage of commission. What is a good starting point if I switch to commission based pay as far as percentage.

My drivers earn a straight 10% of money collected.  Of course, now with cardreaders, I have some extra math involved.  I pay every two weeks, tally up the daily routes for the two-week period and pay 10%.  My drivers are making between $35,000 and $45,000 annually.  I'd be interested in what others pay their drivers.  :) 

My driver averages 18 machines a day without any hustle, prekitting his own drinks when he gets in at 6am. Snacks are prekitted by my part timer. He can do 20 or 22 if he needs to.

I pay a base + 3% commission. It seems to be incentive enough to keep him actively trying to increase sales.

We pay a daily rate of $120 to $150 depending on how long you have been with us. I can see how they become complacent without incentive to sell more. I am going to try a commission based structure starting June 1st and see what the results are.    

I'm just adding my opinionon commission here, but I'm against commission unless it is used as a bonus system. The exception is when you run a very good operation. If your routes are spread out far enough, there are a lot of slow accounts, there are a lot of snack-only accounts, some accounts are priced too low, etc... under those circumstances, you'll find drivers getting frustrated that they might work just as hard and fast as their co worker but they get paid less.  I like a performance-based reward system in addition to a base hourly rate.

My truck has no AC. The humidity levels get fairly high here. It drained me out today. I used to be responsible for two college campuses (snack only), a "large" account with 4 glassfronts and 4 snacks across 4 floors, several slow acccounts, and only one good account where I collected several hundred dollars out of one bank of machines. I drove about 120 miles each day and had no AC back then either. When I know I'm slaving to earn the same as the guy who can knock out 10 accounts in 6 hours becausehe has a much better route, and I have no AC, I'm beyond disgruntled. 

I'm looking into a new truck. I'm tired of not having AC. I'm tired of a hot cab and hot cargo area. I need a break between stops even if I'm still driving. Commission is probably very good when routes are all good, but not when you have to put way more time in to collect the same check.

P.S. when I took off for vacation, they sent two guys to do my route so they could "get done early." I think they got done in 6 hours vs. My 9 hours, and they loaded the night before. 

Just a clarification, but the route I referred to was from 8-10 years ago.  I'm probably faster now than I was back then, but the point was that I know what it's like to have a less-than-desirable route.  Today, with the right accounts, I KNOW I can easily do a $200/week account in 45 minutes.  That means, including load time, I could EASILY do $2,000 in sales in 10 hours if I pushed myself hard enough and if I had my truck setup for such a demanding route... and prices here are probably a little lower than many other metropolitan areas in the country.  That would be an amazing route and I do know my speed is there.  Getting a large route like that would be almost impossible in my area though.

Archived