Coin Storage

Hi all,.

Anyone have a good suggestion for housing large amount of coins before they get counted and sorted. ideally looking for something with a lock, doesn't need to be high security but something to keep them secure in the open. i basically want Tupperware with a lock type thing!

I'm not sure I understand your question... you want to know about coin containers to use in your office but you want them to be locking containers?  Small enough to be carried off even if locked?  Basically, our collections stay in the individual bags until counted, and the bags stay in the safe....

I'm not sure I understand your question... you want to know about coin containers to use in your office but you want them to be locking containers?  Small enough to be carried off even if locked?  Basically, our collections stay in the individual bags until counted, and the bags stay in the safe....

yes basically I need something to dump lots of coins in and lock it up after it's been taken out of the individual bags. I keep those out of the safe so just want to somewhat secure them. if the same container was transportable , I could sort, count and put the bags back in it and bring to bank. I basically need a rolling lock box (like you would wheel on a plane).

I'm a little confused as well. It depends on what you think is a large amount of coins. Larger operators using large coin counters have the coins put in large bags big enough to hold a turkey.  When they get full, you take them off and take them to the bank, but they are very heavy...

Smaller operators like myself simply put them in whatever works and then I take the bulk quantity (about enough to fill a 12-pack of cans) to the bank so their machine can count it since I have that luxury.

If you want to lock up huge bags with several thousand dollars, you should just use a safe. If you are looking for a way to TRANSPORT the coins, then I don't have an answer for you except using luggage. Large quantities of coins are heavy and can break many things. I would use a 2 wheeler to take it to the bank regardless. 

I guess it's confusing because it's difficult to determine whether you want to transport it, store it, and whether it's a small quantity or large quantity. 

I get the feeling that a 5 gallon bucket would suit you fine as long as it doesn't have huge $ signs all over. Just put a bunch of debris over the coins and something kind of heavy. Most people won't bother with it.

I handle quite a bit of change every month with bulk vending and charity canisters. I would say easily over $7k a month(all of which isn't mine....I wish). I have to sort and count the charity money, so I just dump it into 5-gallon buckets. That along with my dolly and I roll into my bank with the coin machine and deposit it. 

3 hours ago, vender4321 said:

Hi all,.

Anyone have a good suggestion for housing large amount of coins before they get counted and sorted. ideally looking for something with a lock, doesn't need to be high security but something to keep them secure in the open. i basically want Tupperware with a lock type thing!

Yep, we used to put it in a beverage machine in the shop or your garage.  For some reason people don't expect a big bag of coin at the bottom of the drink machine.  if you have an old machine you can pull out the columns and you will have a very nice safe.  Be sure to put good locks on it.  Only you have the key.

sorry if I wasn't too clear. I would say I have about 6k work of coins of month and I really just want a large container with a lock on it. I am ok with it sitting outside the safe but I want something to keep it closed as not to invite someone to skim.

Why on earth would you sit on that much money?  It doesn't do you any good if it end up being stolen.  It's probably no secret that you are in vending so no matter where the money is, in your vehicle, your office or your home, you are susceptible to burglary.  Heck, in this day and age you're always susceptible to burglary.  Just take it to the bank.  This goes along the line of vendors who allow their oft serviced machines to collect a month's worth of coin with bills just stuffed in the coin box.  Sooner or later someone is going to hit that machine and find a gold mine.  You're all playing with fire and if you don't have time to go to the bank then maybe you're in the wrong business.  It amazes me what vendors will think is safe to them and what parts of their business doesn't seem to have much importance.

You should have a roll top safe in your vehicle and a safe or at minimum an alarmed counting room in your home or office.  Remember, your insurance doesn't cover loss of cash. 

Why on earth would you sit on that much money?  It doesn't do you any good if it end up being stolen.  It's probably no secret that you are in vending so no matter where the money is, in your vehicle, your office or your home, you are susceptible to burglary.  Heck, in this day and age you're always susceptible to burglary.  Just take it to the bank.  This goes along the line of vendors who allow their oft serviced machines to collect a month's worth of coin with bills just stuffed in the coin box.  Sooner or later someone is going to hit that machine and find a gold mine.  You're all playing with fire and if you don't have time to go to the bank then maybe you're in the wrong business.  It amazes me what vendors will think is safe to them and what parts of their business doesn't seem to have much importance.

You should have a roll top safe in your vehicle and a safe or at minimum an alarmed counting room in your home or office.  Remember, your insurance doesn't cover loss of cash. 

slow down a bit! I go to the bank at least twice a week and I said I have about 6k worth of coins a month which you asked for context of how much coins. camera, locked rooms and the money is in different facilities. I have a very easy system set up the the bank, no rolling, drops ...etc. so at any give. point I can have a couple thousand in coins just not transported and all I am looking for is a truck with a lock really for some loose coin that don't fit well in the 2000lbs safe I have lol..... I have to found some good candidates now that I have asked around. I am very much on top of every aspect of my biz!

I think you may have not realized that me and AZVendor are two different people.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but I have a very difficult time understanding exactly what you're trying to say in most of your posts.  It seems that you don't take the time to write proper sentences.  I want to help, but you make it difficult to understand what you're trying to say.  

I think you may have not realized that me and AZVendor are two different people.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but I have a very difficult time understanding exactly what you're trying to say in most of your posts.  It seems that you don't take the time to write proper sentences.  I want to help, but you make it difficult to understand what you're trying to say.  

No worries, I will be clearer going forward.

I am just going to purchase a trunk (with a lock) on wheels for easy storage of loose or bagged coins. I didn't mean to start a entire discussion on security and the baking side, although I never mind hearing everyonew process out. All I wanted to know is if someone had a container or trunk that did the trick for some particular reason given the fact we all have varying amounts of change (both loose and rolled) and the need to get it to the bank.

And I know you are 2 different people! I may have pointed a response in error. If I did, my apologies.

I'm not offended by any responses.  I guess we are all confused because most of us deposit the money ASAP.  I mean, it's good if you can hang onto some cash for a while (because you don't need it right away) but I like to get it to the bank.  I usually never have more than 2k in loose coins but that's primarily because 1k in loose coins is pretty heavy... 2k in loose coins really needs a 2-wheeler.  6k in loose coins is not something to just carry around lol.  Personally, I think your best bet is to get it to the bank long before it's at 6k... but that's entirely my opinion and you can do whatever you want.  I also don't know about a locking trunk because I don't drive anything with a "trunk."  I either use the boxtruck to transport the money or my car.  Either way, I am going straight to the bank and it never sits in there.  I don't think most of us deal with your particular situation lol.

I wait until I have 4 bags full of coins.  (You can deposit up to 4 bags on one deposit sheet with my bank)  I throw them in my trunk and try to find a parking spot in the door.  At 50lbs a bag, it is a workout, as I just carry them in one by one.  I have thought about getting a little cart or something but I figure the day I do that is the day I am starting to get old.  I just keep the bags in my office desk, out of the way.  I'm going to the bank tomorrow matter of fact.  I do try and only go to the bank once a week, if not once every two weeks.

Archived