About to start hiring employees....What are your thoughts?

karen99

I currently have a charity honor box business with over 1,200 accounts and am wanting to go into multiple different states across the country where my company would establish the routes and do all of the locating. This would obviously involve bringing in employees (or subcontractors) who would be running routes, refilling boxes, counting and depositing money and picking up candy (that my company purchases online at Sam's club.) They would be doing all of this out of their own home. I've also got extensive records showing the averages of what these boxes do so my company will have a real good indication of any of our route operators who are stealing money. We'll just fire those people and get replacements when the situation arises. We would probably also require that a certain amount of money from these people (say $1,500 to $2,000) be put into escrow before they're hired should these people ever decide to "run out" on us. 

My question is what way do you think it would work best to bring new employees (or subcontractors) into our company? Do you think it would work best to pay these people a salary and just expect them to run the routes on time and not steal too much money from us? Or should my company be paying these people a percentage of the profits, and if so, what percentage do you think would be fair to the route operator? 

I don't know why people would be willing to put that amount into escrow when they could buy over 200 boxes with that amount if not more.

Averages are averages and there can be quite a range of collections from what I've experienced so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use averages as a basis for firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, karen99 said:

I currently have a charity honor box business with over 1,200 accounts and am wanting to go into multiple different states across the country where my company would establish the routes and do all of the locating. This would obviously involve bringing in employees (or subcontractors) who would be running routes, refilling boxes, counting and depositing money and picking up candy (that my company purchases online at Sam's club.) They would be doing all of this out of their own home. I've also got extensive records showing the averages of what these boxes do so my company will have a real good indication of any of our route operators who are stealing money. We'll just fire those people and get replacements when the situation arises. We would probably also require that a certain amount of money from these people (say $1,500 to $2,000) be put into escrow before they're hired should these people ever decide to "run out" on us. 

My question is what way do you think it would work best to bring new employees (or subcontractors) into our company? Do you think it would work best to pay these people a salary and just expect them to run the routes on time and not steal too much money from us? Or should my company be paying these people a percentage of the profits, and if so, what percentage do you think would be fair to the route operator? 

The key is to hire right.  Your not going to get people to pay money in escrow. What do they get out of it? I pay my driver hourly. 

If you have that many boxes,  know the average that is in them,  then you should be able to hire someone and know with in 10-20% what they will deposit. 

Are you having them fill 20 boxes and carry those in the Beni be while driving? 

Inrelated, are you just putting boxes at any location,  or just a specific few? 

2 hours ago, rodney69 said:

The key is to hire right.  Your not going to get people to pay money in escrow. What do they get out of it? I pay my driver hourly. 

If you have that many boxes,  know the average that is in them,  then you should be able to hire someone and know with in 10-20% what they will deposit. 

Are you having them fill 20 boxes and carry those in the Beni be while driving? 

Inrelated, are you just putting boxes at any location,  or just a specific few? 

Can you please explain the last 2 questions you asked there? What is a "Beni be"??

11 hours ago, karen99 said:

Can you please explain the last 2 questions you asked there? What is a "Beni be"??

Where you're putting boxes also determines how much fluctuation there is in seasons. That's why I ask that. 

On the first of 2 questions, I don't take 20 boxes for my driver to carry in hopes they don't spill. When we have new locations, he dumps mints and money in one bag, then I count it that night to see what shrink is. After a couple services I just have him dump the left over mints from one location into another box and add to them. He puts the money in one bag with all the rest. 

I want him to be done as fast as possible. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, karen99 said:

Are you talking about Mint honor boxes or the Full-size Snack tray honor boxes (candy bars, chips, cookies, etc.)?  I have a large operation with several employees and may have some insight.

4 hours ago, flintflash said:

Are you talking about Mint honor boxes or the Full-size Snack tray honor boxes (candy bars, chips, cookies, etc.)?  I have a large operation with several employees and may have some insight.

Flintflash, I have the charity vending "mint boxes." Please give whatever feedback and knowledge you can, I'm taking all of this in and thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey karen!  I know you had posted in both forums ;Honor Snacks and Vending (and I think I did most of my responding in the Vending Forum), but I was curious as to how the "employee" situation is going and what you decided to do?  Hope all is well. :) 

Archived