Moving a machine

HI all! I am a strange situation - but not really. 

I have a machine that needs to be moved about five feet due to a the need or a non-GFI outlet. No problem right? Well for me, perhaps wrong! 

I made the decision to not move my own machines, at least not for now. The machine in question is a Royal 12-select rvcc804-13. I do have a pallet jack but this particular machine does not leave room for a pallet jack.

I do not have a dolly, perhaps I should just consider getting one for times like these?

Not sure if anyone has a solution for me that doesn't involve me having to go buy a appliance dolly. 

My other solution of course is to offer a vending machine mover guy $20 to do it, and tell him just whenever he's in the area to stop in and take care of it (2 minutes of work for $20). 

Firstly, you would be wise to pay him $20 to help you if he was willing to do it for $20.  I can't imagine a mover taking $20 for that unless he was literally down the street but it would be a very good $20 spent.  Having said that, here's how you move the machine....

You MUST have a helper and it is in everyone's best interest to unload the machine and unplug it first.  You will ALSO need some 4x4 wood blocks deep enough to go under the machine.

It takes a bit of practice to get it right, but one person is the "pusher" and the other is kind of the "puller".  The puller needs to put his foot FIRMLY against the bottom of the machine so that his toes are on the machine and his heel is on the ground.  This is to prevent the machine from sliding.  You can't be half-assed about this.  He's also going to take on much of the weight as it tips but it shouldn't be much weight since it's just going far enough for the blocks to go under.  The puller must also hold onto the machine, probably either at the very top, so that it doesn't go back toward the pusher before the block goes under.  The pusher needs to give a REALLY good strong push (you may have to pull the machine out to get enough leverage for both people to do this).  Once you got the machine up, the "pusher" can try to push the block under with his foot, or a 3rd person can do that as long as they PUSH the block under, don't put any limbs between the block and the machine or you'll get seriously hurt.  If the machine is on a surface with plenty grip, then the "puller" can probably put the block under while the "pusher" keeps the machine slightly tilted (just enough for the 4x4).  Once you've done that, the easy part is done.  Now you must do the other side which will be harder since you'll have more weight leaning toward you to push against.  It may require both of you to push the machine enough to get another block under the other side.  Now you can use the pallet jack.

To do this in reverse, you have to be extra careful when you take the last block off so the machine doesn't suddenly slide and land on someone's foot or into a wall or anything else.  That's why you really need someone to hold the machine with their foot on the ground (on the opposite side of where the last block is; the side where the first block has already been removed; the side the machine is tipped TOWARD).  That step is VERY important.

If the floor is of no concern, you can simply slide the entire machine 5 feet over.  It just takes a lot of grunt work.  If the floor is important, then it's difficult to do any of this without some sort of scratching at the very end, especially if you're going into a tight corner.  If you have plenty of room to work with, however, then you'll really need to sit it down a few feet away from where you actually want it and scoot it the rest of the way.  A mover might use something like carpet to slide the machine over some more.  My movers usually just take as much weight as they can off the legs that are going to slide by slightly tilting one side at a time until it's in place.

It takes a lot of learning to get the technique right, but it can be done with two novice people.  However, if you don't feel comfortable, I would spend $20 ANY DAY to have someone move the machine 5 feet for me.

Get some carpet squares or "sliders". Tilt one side and put sliders on the front foot and one on the back. Repeat process on the other side. Slide it over to its new location. Don't try this with the machine full of product. The less product the better and preferably empty. Remember too that leverage is your friend when moving equipment. 

Just now, AngryChris said:

It's not time-sensitive. So it would literally be can you drop in sometime in the next two weeks and do this - I think $20 is close to fair. Not to mention I have a particular mover that I gave a healthy and easy serving of cash gravy to the other day. 

Firstly, you would be wise to pay him $20 to help you if he was willing to do it for $20.  I can't imagine a mover taking $20 for that unless he was literally down the street but it would be a very good $20 spent.  Having said that, here's how you move the machine....

You MUST have a helper and it is in everyone's best interest to unload the machine and unplug it first.  You will ALSO need some 4x4 wood blocks deep enough to go under the machine.

It takes a bit of practice to get it right, but one person is the "pusher" and the other is kind of the "puller".  The puller needs to put his foot FIRMLY against the bottom of the machine so that his toes are on the machine and his heel is on the ground.  This is to prevent the machine from sliding.  You can't be half-assed about this.  He's also going to take on much of the weight as it tips but it shouldn't be much weight since it's just going far enough for the blocks to go under.  The puller must also hold onto the machine, probably either at the very top, so that it doesn't go back toward the pusher before the block goes under.  The pusher needs to give a REALLY good strong push (you may have to pull the machine out to get enough leverage for both people to do this).  Once you got the machine up, the "pusher" can try to push the block under with his foot, or a 3rd person can do that as long as they PUSH the block under, don't put any limbs between the block and the machine or you'll get seriously hurt.  If the machine is on a surface with plenty grip, then the "puller" can probably put the block under while the "pusher" keeps the machine slightly tilted (just enough for the 4x4).  Once you've done that, the easy part is done.  Now you must do the other side which will be harder since you'll have more weight leaning toward you to push against.  It may require both of you to push the machine enough to get another block under the other side.  Now you can use the pallet jack.

To do this in reverse, you have to be extra careful when you take the last block off so the machine doesn't suddenly slide and land on someone's foot or into a wall or anything else.  That's why you really need someone to hold the machine with their foot on the ground (on the opposite side of where the last block is; the side where the first block has already been removed; the side the machine is tipped TOWARD).  That step is VERY important.

If the floor is of no concern, you can simply slide the entire machine 5 feet over.  It just takes a lot of grunt work.  If the floor is important, then it's difficult to do any of this without some sort of scratching at the very end, especially if you're going into a tight corner.  If you have plenty of room to work with, however, then you'll really need to sit it down a few feet away from where you actually want it and scoot it the rest of the way.  A mover might use something like carpet to slide the machine over some more.  My movers usually just take as much weight as they can off the legs that are going to slide by slightly tilting one side at a time until it's in place.

It takes a lot of learning to get the technique right, but it can be done with two novice people.  However, if you don't feel comfortable, I would spend $20 ANY DAY to have someone move the machine 5 feet for me.

It's always nice to have some equipment, just so you can move stuff around in storage sometimes.  AN 804 is a big piece of work, taller than most machines, so vertical clearance is an issue.  I have come to prefer a short and narrow pallet jack for most moves, but since you don't have one, here is a suggestion for this move.

Pick up a set of 4 heavy duty furniture sliders at home depot, they have large plastic and foam ones rated for 1,000 pounds.  Also get a 2x4 or 4x4 about 36 inches long.  

Download the machine to take some weight off and make it less top heavy.

get a helper.

Carefully tip the machine from one side and if needed use the board to support it while you put sliders under the feet on that side.  I use a loop of duct tape to keep the sliders (foam side up, smooth side down) in place on the bottom of the feet until the machine is back on the ground. 

Tip the machine up to remove the board if you used it.  Repeat the procedure on the other side.  The machine should now be able to slide a short distance on a level floor without damage. 

I think $20 is fair for 2 minutes too.  The question is, is it really a 2-minute job.  Even if the mover is 2 blocks away, the whole thing could easily take 15 minutes.  I think you're wishful with the whole 2-minute thing.  If he only charges $20, you're getting one hell of a deal!

I think $20 is fair for 2 minutes too.  The question is, is it really a 2-minute job.  Even if the mover is 2 blocks away, the whole thing could easily take 15 minutes.  I think you're wishful with the whole 2-minute thing.  If he only charges $20, you're getting one hell of a deal!

Two minutes of labor. 15 Mninutes to get in and out... anyhow, I'll try to get it done for $20!

Lol.  You should get into the moving business.  I bet you wouldn't do this for $20!!  Good luck though.

Well if $50 is the rate for moving a machine from point a to point b, spending (minimum 45-60 mins?) and also usually dealing with some kind of not-easy-situation along the way... In my head $20 seems close to fair!

In your head, yes. But in paper,  The mover is looking at his fuel usage, his helper's wage (if he has one), the wear and tear on his vehicle and tools, and his overhead  (insurance,  taxes, etc..).  

I'm just saying.. if he does it for $20, keep him! Just make sure he's insured.

In your head, yes. But in paper,  The mover is looking at his fuel usage, his helper's wage (if he has one), the wear and tear on his vehicle and tools, and his overhead  (insurance,  taxes, etc..).  

I'm just saying.. if he does it for $20, keep him! Just make sure he's insured.

I'll let you know! Great insight about being insured! I think he is because he seems well-known, but I will certainly ask!

Just now, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

However - there is always a minimum... $20 might be below it ha

I can say my minimum is $50 for something within the city limits. I figure by the time I go to the shop and get my equipment, get to location, see where the machine is and where it's going and actually move the machine, I've got some time invested and should be paid for it. 

3 minutes ago, Jchunn28 said:

I can say my minimum is $50 for something within the city limits. I figure by the time I go to the shop and get my equipment, get to location, see where the machine is and where it's going and actually move the machine, I've got some time invested and should be paid for it. 

Not sure if this changes anything, but this guy is always equipped and on the road. 

It could change it. All you can do is ask, they will either say yes or no. I know I can get a machine moved locally if the place it is going to has a dock for next to nothing (usually a tip or a few drinks for the driver) using the trucking company I worked for previously. 

I have 2 routes I have to service and moving my machines when necessary, I will move for other companies when I have the time just to make a little extra money. 

I won't show up for less than the $65 I charge for a service call and your mover shouldn't either.  And you'll pay that $65 to move it back too. This is not just a 2 minute deal. You need to pay for the driving time and fuel to get there (none of this "when you're in the area stuff" - you need an appointment), the fact that he has the proper equipment to do the job, the experience he has to do the job, the insurance he better have before he walks into your customer's location, the constant risk of injury, and on and on.  This is also not a matter of just sliding it because the machine has to be empty just to safely tip it over.  I know, I know, it doesn't have to be empty but I tell people it has to be down to below the motor cover for good weight transfer and, of course, I still get people who will say it's that low but either lie or leave one or two columns higher because they weren't prepared to take out that much product.  Then you have to do the moving without damaging the floor or walls.  

Don't be a cheapskate and I hope whoever does the work for you isn't one either.

I work at the school where my machines are located.  When I need to move  a machine, I recruit some of the football players.  They make quick work of it.  I do, however, unload the product first and we have a pallet jack.

Having moved a machine with an old appliance hand truck, and I just moved a DN5000 with an Anderson dolly, I would say owning the right equipment is a godsend. I tried to get off cheap at first picking up old dollies off Craigslist. But working by myself and having a few near death experiences, $500 for a dolly started to look like a cheap investment in comparison. I know sliding a machine 5 feet along a floor won't kill you, but tipping and lifting by yourself can get you hurt fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On 6/1/2017 at 7:17 PM, darkinthepark said:

I work at the school where my machines are located.  When I need to move  a machine, I recruit some of the football players.  They make quick work of it.  I do, however, unload the product first and we have a pallet jack.

lol

Archived