The power of positivity

Today I had a guy call me who just took over management of one of my accounts. He was extremely aggressive on the phone and demanded many things, I treated all his words with respect and an un-elevated voice. Amongst his demands was a commission.

I told him to give me some time to give my response to his commands on paper. I sent him a response that was not submissive, but not dominant either.

His response in a nutshell: I respect the way you handled this entire situation and keep your profits, and you can add a snack machine!!

***WAH - BAM!!!!!***

Sometimes as in this case someone new comes in and they try to show their power wherever they can and they feel like the vendor is an easy target .
You definitely did the right thing by standing your ground without escalating the situation as was proven by the end results .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Randymire said:

Sometimes as in this case someone new comes in and they try to show their power wherever they can and they feel like the vendor is an easy target .
You definitely did the right thing by standing your ground without escalating the situation as was proven by the end results .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escalation = Me losing a good account, and him buying his own machine and doing his own vending (which would not be a good use of his time in this situation). 

He also wanted to buy my machine and said it wasn't for sale because it's an amazing machine. A Wittern 3500 - I told him $2000 if he wanted it!

Just now, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

Escalation = Me losing a good account, and him buying his own machine and doing his own vending (which would not be a good use of his time in this situation). 

He also wanted to buy my machine and said it wasn't for sale because it's an amazing machine. A Wittern 3500 - I told him $2000 if he wanted it!

I think $2000 is still cheap considering I know this machine, and it offers guaranteed peace-of-mind and is very user-friendly. 

Status update: The guy came back with a list of items I have never even heard of, or that I don't carry. He had about 15 items on his list like this. I'm a small route, but I have ALL the basics. Nothing he said was basic, lol, literally nothing. I don't think Costco or Sam's sells even 10% of the stuff he wants! 

I'm going to have to tell him in a nice way that I'm not interested anymore - nobody will be. The account is too small for a big company, and NO small company is going to carry even half of the stuff he wants!! 

Just now, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

Status update: The guy came back with a list of items I have never even heard of, or that I don't carry. He had about 15 items on his list like this. I'm a small route, but I have ALL the basics. Nothing he said was basic, lol, literally nothing. I don't think Costco or Sam's sells even 10% of the stuff he wants! 

I'm going to have to tell him in a nice way that I'm not interested anymore - nobody will be. The account is too small for a big company, and NO small company is going to carry even half of the stuff he wants!! 

Anyone have an alternative way to address the situation that might still result in it being reasonable for me? If he wants even half the items on his list, I will be pulling that machine! I think he will regret servicing his own machine the first time he realizes how many stores he'll have to visit to fulfill his grocery list!

I think I would find some way to tell him that it was your business and you are going to run it how you see fit. Also, that you set the menu and will gladly test a couple new items at a time, but if the sales don't warrant them, then they're gone. If he's still unreasonable, pulling your machine is probably your only solution, unfortunately. 

I answered this differently on another post of yours, but offer to sell him the machines.  You're right. Almost no large company will set foot in this place and almost no small company carries that stuff. Your job isn't to cure obesity, end hunger, or to make people more active at work. Your job is to make a profit by providing snacks and beverages in a convenient manner. 

Archived