Cleaning and Locks?

petersvending

I got these 2 machines locally for $100, hopefully I did not pay too much, if I did, I am still a newbie. I will learn eventually!

There is not greater lesson then one that affects the wallet!

What is the best way to clean these, get them looking new again? Can I paint this metal and the mechs? Can mechs be painted? Where can I get parts? Looks like the mechs are metal. 

What kind of machine is this? I cant find a make anywhere. 

Where can I get locks? Is there a trick to getting in them without breaking the lock? Thanks for any help. 

machine1.jpg

machine2.jpg

That's a 1800 vending triple machine. I've never heard of anyone successfully painting a mech, and honestly i've never tried painting the rest, though i'm sure it can be done. I have painted the bases and poles with regular rustoleum spray paint.

Best way to get that lock out would be to drill it out, locks smiths aren't very cheap, and tubular locks require a special tool and some skill to pick on your own. Also look slike you have three gumball wheels, so you'll need candy wheels unless you only plan on vending gumballs or bouncy balls. 

..And no that's a decent price, i've gotten some brand new ones and some older ones anywhere between $40-$100. I don't buy them anymore, but If I did, $60 is about the most i'd spend. 

I have seen where people say 1800s are good machines. Thank you for your input, very much appreciated! 

What is the best way to clean? What cleaning agent should I use on the metal specifically? How to clean the rest properly? I thought about spray painting the base and machine green. 

Where can I get locks? Link? 

Thank you!!!

Dish soap will work just fine for the whole machine, just make sure to rinse the canister out completely. Also, avoid getting the springs wet to avoid possible rust. 

If you're only looking for 4 locks for those 2 machines, you can find some on ebay. Or go to laigroup.com. They carry them as well. 

Here's a Silent Sales Force I got for $20.  They are not highly rated but it was cheap.  I painted the lids and mechs with krylon gilded gold paint from Walmart for $3.83 a can.  Worked well.  We'll see how it holds up.   I have it at an auto body shop.

2017-06-09_11-31-57

Last night we spent 4 hours sanding, cleaning and painting this 1800s machine! The whole family was involved! This is the after picture! My kids helped too! I have another machine and I will share the progress photos! I am a computer/it guy by trade so doing anything like this is totally foreign to me! Feels good! 96c9b1d1d2776136ef981da2b868af28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, petersvending said:

Last night we spent 4 hours sanding, cleaning and painting this 1800s machine! The whole family was involved! This is the after picture! My kids helped too! I have another machine and I will share the progress photos! I am a computer/it guy by trade so doing anything like this is totally foreign to me! Feels good! 96c9b1d1d2776136ef981da2b868af28.jpg

Did you "paint" the coin mechs? We have never tried that. We get a bottle of awesome cleaner from dollar general and use a nylon brush to clean them. They come out like new

Did you "paint" the coin mechs? We have never tried that. We get a bottle of awesome cleaner from dollar general and use a nylon brush to clean them. They come out like new

Yes! However we taped all the important working parts and the actual coin mech area, as to not get paint on them to 'gunk' it all up! We used the sander lightly on the mech! Thanks to the folks in this forum for the ideas! Mind you there are imperfections, I was a little close so we had some running but the krylon is really nice! Looks good too! Ill take some more pics in a few days. Only problem now is, I need to find some locks for this machine. I am clueless. Gonna try to call laigroup.com and see if they can help me. Any help would be appreciated.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:09 AM, vendtex said:

Looks nice. Is there a tray to go with it?

Yes there is one single tray at the bottom that slides out the back. This week or weekend we will be sanding and painting the other machine. Thanks for everyones help, positive comments and encouragement!

On 6/12/2017 at 11:57 AM, AMD Snacks said:

Looks good! Let us know how it holds up after some use, I might paint some of my old 1800's I got laying around. 

Yes I will! I used what one user suggested and used Krylon on this machine and am very impressed with its ability to cover the machine, easily. It works really well with plastic! 

Now my concern is ordering the correct lock for these machines. The guy at laigroup.com tried to explain to me how the lock is measured and how to tell them what size tubular lock I would need to replace these with. I still do not understand. How do I know what part of the lock to 'measure'? Is there a youtube video or link where someone can show/teach me this? I have several machines I am going to look at this weekend, look like old vendstars and I am getting them for a great price that I cant pass it up, in great condition as well so I am very enthused. Soon I am going to have a lot of machines but no where to put them, location wise. I luckily have lots of room at my home. I have 1 location right now waiting for the 3 head, which I will swap out with a single head when my beaver comes in.  

Archived