Smart Snacks List

Kinch

I'm sure many of you have machines in schools.  Could you direct me to a good list of acceptable Smart snack school acceptable products?  I am researching the subject and have come up with several descriptions of what combination of ingredients are required, but I would like a list of products and brand names.

Thank you

58de4d5c40360_smartsnackp2.thumb.jpg.ec31044250d82f3b4345bafd883df15e.jpg58de4cf3a67ef_smartsnackp1.thumb.jpg.d531977b885376f4d54fff0483f4688a.jpg

My school sent out a list and we could purchase items through the district food services for our classrooms.  I found better prices on some things but here is the list.  There is also a federal calculator. But school districts can make the list more strict if they choose

https://www.healthiergeneration.org/take_action/schools/snacks_and_beverages/smart_snacks/alliance_product_calculator/

A little off topic, but many people in the education sector are power-hungry jerks that seriously believe that they are saving kids by taking away their choices. Don't get me wrong,  children make bad decisions all the time, but they'll still get sugary stuff one way or another. Rant over.

I don't think the government should tell anyone what they can and cannot consume as food.  I work in law enforcement at a large school that has 100's of refugees.  Every kid that has two nickels to rub together goes to a fast food joint for lunch, (unhealthy food, dangerous teen driving etc).  The vending machines which are on commission now get a fraction of the business, and the cafeteria is basically filled with refugees who throw MASSIVE quantities of food away.  Not to mention it's bound to create a division between the classes of kids that have to stay and eat and ones that have enough money to leave.

I have taken photos of rows of garbage cans filled with uneaten school cafeteria pizza.  Whole wheat crust and fat free cheese.  Still plenty of fat kids walking around too I notice.

I have 3 sons.  All play football, basketball, and baseball year round.  Their mother makes huge sack lunches for them every day.  That seems the best solution to me.  They get enough of the food they like and they're not driving around town buying cheap stuff at a convenience store during school.

Is this where I say, "rant over"? :)

Back to the topic..if you are looking for healthy programs with supportive docu's you can go to NAMA.  Here is a link:  http://www.fitpick.org/nwc/

Depending on what State you are in they probably have the list at your State Capitol Nutrition Department.  In California, they have it on file in 
Sacremento and you can submit items that you feel should be on the list so it is updated frequently.

The law in Ca states no items can be sold a half hour before school starts and ends.  So vendors put in machines with 40% healthy (to keep teachers etc happy) and the balance traditional but they do not turn them on until a half hour after school.  In CA the healthy items are starting to sell.

Archived