Do trade schools follow federal guidelines?

I highly doubt it. The point of having guidelines in schools was to prevent kids from having a choice of "bad" stuff. In trade schools, practically everyone is an adult. Personally, I wouldn't ever worry about it. I doubt a legal adult is going to ever call someone and complain that other adults are buying sugary snacks out of vending machines.

There are some Trade schools that allow 11th and 12th graders in and there are some across the country specifically for high school students.  But, it all boils down to someone complaining.

The guidelines are grades K-12 and any food/drink item that is sold from midnight to 30 minutes after students are dismissed and intended for immediate consumption must meet the guidelines.

One thing I thought was odd was 12 oz Gatorade G2's are fine but 20oz G2's are not.  O and the guidelines are different from k-4, 5-8, and 9-12.  I think that's how its broken down (middle school starts either 5 or 6).  I only worried about the 9-12 guidelines.

If it is a "Private" trade school, NO for sure.  As long as a school doesn't receive Public Funding (Tax money from the Gov't), they do not have to comply.  If it is a Public (State Run) trade school, then it may depend on if high school kids attend or if it is just for adults.  Ask the school, they should know.  If they DON'T know, more than likely they do not have to conform.  Trust me, a State run school will know, because they won't want to risk losing any funding.  I would think for the most part, you are safe with assuming NO.  :) 

Archived