Cleaning plastic?

Starcat

ok, so my oak 450's are scratched, and i am trying to get them out and look new. i tried buying some buffer but that did absolutely nothing.. what are you guys using to get scratches out of the plastic and make it look new?

also, i tried to sand the tops and re paint it.. no luck. im going to litterally have to paint strip it and start fresh.

If regular ol' soap and water doesn't due the trick, some have mentioned headlight cleaner. I've tried it, it sort of works for me. I honestly just buy new globes from oak or ebay. But you might try the headlight cleaner kits. I've also tried aircraft stripper and paint thinner, and it doesn't always make things easier either due to the powder coating. Usually I do a light sanding and several coats of paint. If I'm really trying to be fancy, I take it and get it sandblasted and powder coated. A bit more in cost, but they do great work and it'll last for years and years. 

AMD, are we talking about globes or the body of the machines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globes for the soap and water, and possibly headlight cleaner. The bodies for the powder coating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Determined said:

I personally would only purchase new globes if there broken or extremely scratched. I've bought new globes and you will soon realize they scratch easily. 

I agree wit this, they also break easily if you're not careful, esp. if they're oaks. I'm a little OCD about my machines though, and like them to look almost new, which isn't necessarily the most profitable outlook. I do see a lot of other guys with cloudly looking machines, and they seem to still be making money. So I can't say what i'm doing is right, but I personally just can't do it. 

I've spent time trying to restore globes or at least make then look better. In the end, they only looked marginally better and I wasted time and effort. I'm like AMD as well, I like my machines to look new or close to it, especially when I deliver to a new location. I'd rather just spend the $8 on a new globe. If it's a solid location, it will pay for itself quickly.

Archived