Calling competitors?

petersvending

Anyone else call their competitors regularly or just to find out what is going on? To buy or sell? Anyone ever trade? Here is 2 machines of my competitors. The lady says they are both very old people. Maybe they will want to sell out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a74d714cccc6711191b990e7e1dad541.jpg

It just so happens I called the owner of the Northwesterns in the photo, he just so happens to be an old man who unfortunately is now disabled, poor man, and he can not service his machines any more. He has 150 machines, 60 located and the rest are in his barn, most of them brand new still in boxes! I do not know what he is asking but I will be going to see him this weekend or next! Maybe I can strike a deal of some kind to get all of his locations and machines! Woot! I am hoping he doesnt assume I have unending amounts of cash laying around! XD

Sounds good, some people are willing to work out payment plans too. I've tried calling a few of my competitors before, mainly to let them know they had an empty machine, I get mixed receptions, but sounds like it worked out great for you, hope it works out. 

1 hour ago, Team Money Vending said:

I have tried contacting a few competitors to trade or purchase their equipment / location and they never answer. I question for you those with larger routes; Do you guys get many phone calls? Are you worried about getting a call asking you to pull your machines?

Thanks,

Very good question! I dont have anything near a large route but my guess would be that most large bulk vendors do not worry much. I think most business owners see it as a convenience for customers and something else they do not have to provide to a customer. Just my thoughts. I also would like the answer to this question as well.

I've been called a few times to pick up machines. Just part of the business. Usually is due to the wrong person giving permission or upper-level management coming in and giving it the boot. I think I've been booted more in-person though. I'll go in to service and the location just tells me that I have to remove it for the same reasons as above. 

I would say to just make sure youre nice to him when u go see him. Just remember that he is a fellow vendor, just like any one of us on the forum, and not just an "opportunity to expand". Im buying a partial route from an older gentleman and his wife. Theyve been vending for over 20 years and i think sometimes he just needs to vent. He just had his family dollar contracts bought out by NEN and hes been having to pull machines for the past few months and hes pissed. Our conversations are never quick and easy, but theyre usually full of great insights for someone just starting out like me (in second year anyway). Sometimes the best stories are from when they started vending and why.

Archived