Base for Dixie Narco 601E

Kinch

Hello,  I am putting a DN601E next to a heavily trafficked truck scale at a grain and corn storage facility.  I am putting it outside on the north side of the scale house facing the scale.  Unfortunately the north side is not paved, but is packed road mix.  Is there anything handy I could or should use as a base for the machine?   I have thought of a couple things.  Possibly 4, 12" x 12" but 1 1/2" landscape pavers, one on each corner.  Or possibly a sheet of hardi backer concrete board.  This is what is used as a flooring underlayment for tile.  Any other ideas from you experienced guys on here?   Should I place a pad like that or can I just put it on the gravel?

Thank you

I think you would be crazy to install a soda machine on a wood or gravel base!

What happens in a few years if the wood rots away and the machine falls over and crushes 7 year old little Johnnie. Do you think his parents will sue you? Would you be able to live with yourself?

What happens in a few years if the  rain washes away gravel and the machine falls over and crushes 7 year old little Johnnie. Do you think his parents will sue you? Would you be able to live with yourself?

I say make a nice concrete pad 5 bags is less than $25.00

Walta

No it's not like that.  It's packed road mix and against a building.   Very solid surface.  It will be under constant observation by the managers of the scale.  It's in an enclosed 100 acre facility that is filled with heavy equipment moving past 5 days a week all day.    Besides If it's not rock solid I won't do it.  

With packed gravel and heavy equipment that will be a lot of dust. You might want to think about an external filter for the compressor. Either that or clean the fins on every service. Pavers crack pretty easily if uneven. Maybe a 1/8 inch plate steel. If it is hard pack it should be pretty stable, you just want something to keep the feet from sinking in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am worried about the dust.  Initially I thought about one of those fiberglass pads that you sometimes see central air conditioning units at homes sitting on.  We also have a lot of dust storms to go with the heavy equipment.  I was wondering if I should put something say between the two boards, (or steel plates) to minimize the loose dust under the machine.  Hardi backer?  The cement under layment they use for tiles.  Just a thought.  I have a sheet of it on the ground in front of my lawn mower shed that has been walked and driven on for years.  Seems like fairly tough stuff.  

You don't need an air filter under the machine because there is no airflow there.  If you have an air hose or water hose near the machine you can just blow or rinse out the condenser periodically.  If those aren't available then you could put a piece of air filter material in front of the condenser but don't allow it to get too dirty or you'll kill your compressor.

For a filter find a furnace filter size in Walmart or Home Depot that is a little bigger than the opening. Bend some sheet metal strip in an s shape or you can rivet two angle pieces together. Make sure it is deep enough to hold two filters stacked. You put the angle pieces in a u shape so you can slide the filters in from the top or side, whichever works better. When you change them you pull the outer most and throw it away, move the inner to the outer, and put the new one on the inner. I've never done this for a vending machine, but we made a ton of them for equipment in Iraq and Kuwait. You might be able to hold the pieces on with strip magnets. We just used pop rivets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That validator is going to be a problem.  We used a cut out plastic flap around the validator.  The customer would lift up the flap, put in the bill and then the flap dropped down keeping most of the dust-out.  We put a small weight on the flap to be sure it covered the area. We used them in lots of industrial accounts too, it keeps those darn things working between service.  You will need to clean them each visit.  

If the machine is next to a building you can purchase those rails from Vendors Exchange that mounts on the wall and holds the machine steady. They are made so people can't shake or move the machine but should work here too.  We used the standoff brackets at Vendors Exchange.  Two of them should hold it right where you want it to stay.

Why not use a plastic pallet that either Pepsi or Coke uses to deliver their product. Cokes are 40 inches square while the Pepsi ones are about 48 x 40 inches. Both are about 6 inches tall. Just be sure to attach the machine to the skid.

The 4000 has too many small, weak parts and MEI doesn't support it any longer.  They can still be repaired but sometimes used parts have to be put on them.  The weakest parts are the c/r lever, the bottom pieces of the coin tubes and the acceptor sorting gates.  They work fine in indoor locations but outdoor locations will just wear them out from the dirt.

Archived