Hi all! My fiancé and I are new to this business and are currently in the works of selecting our first machines. We are doing "healthy vending machines" and are looking for the most reliable drink and food combo machines to start with. Right now we have our eyes on the Selectivend Commander Combo Machine. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance! 

Please search for healthy vending on this forum and do some reading.

The TLDR is that healthy vending sucks, most healthy vending business opportunities are scams, and combos are no good. 

No one buys healthy products out of vending machines, at least not in the northeast. So unless you selling honeybuns, peanut m&ms, and chili cheese doritos you are in for a painfully expensive experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I own 8 healthy vending machines. I bought them from a former HUMAN healthy vending franchisee who wanted out, not because the route was doing poorly. They are all Jofemar combo machines, from Spain (but have offices in Miami.) My locations are all YMCAs and schools and are the exclusive snack and (and all but 1) drink choices at the location.
I like to call my products 'healthier' as I am not selling all fruits and vegetables, but snacks with whole grains, less sugar and fat, no HFCS, etc. Sales are good but I believe you have to find the right location. Kids in school are still going to be hungry, so long as my snacks are tasty they will buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the jofemar machines might be the exception to the don't by foreign. I am not anti healthy, it works well in schools and I guess ymcas where the competition is restricted. You just wouldn't want to put one next to a machine full of snickers, utz potato chips, and doritos.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:33 AM, Corvus Corax said:

No one buys healthy products out of vending machines, at least not in the northeast. So unless you selling honeybuns, peanut m&ms, and chili cheese doritos you are in for a painfully expensive experience.

Nor in the southeast!!

Let's add the northwest to this. I've tried healthy items and the sales data always kicks them out of the machines.

I can't even get them to buy peanuts or smartpop. They kill the Reese peanut butter cups though.

When I was significantly smaller, I struggled to sell lays, fritos, and cheetos.  I would buy a variety pack just for the fritos and cheetos (to have a variety) and buy an entire box of cheddar and sour cream ruffles and doritos, in addition to pretzels and cheez-its.  No matter what I tried, I still threw most of the cheetos out.  As of now, I go through quite a few of everything.  I buy about 3 boxes of Herr's bbq chips every other week or so, and that's not even a huge seller.  I go through about 3-4 boxes of cheez-its every week.  But hey, there's nothing wrong with not carrying them for a while, or at least not stock them in places where they won't buy them.

3 minutes ago, Georgia bulldog said:

Healthy eating in Georgia is a snicker bar and a diet coke .

When you say "diet coke", does that mean an actual diet coke specifically or do you have to specify what kind of diet coke it is?

Diet Pepsi seems to outsell Diet Coke. Uts weird, all of a sudden I am selling a ton of Sprite and Dr. Pepper, but the Mt. Dew isn't moving as fast as it used to. I am also moving a fair amount of Ginger Ale.

Believe it or not, our best selling chip items are Cheez-its and Bugles.  Yes, BUGLES!  They used to be an "in-and-out" rotation item for us, but about 5 years ago, they somehow blossomed into a staple item for us.  We sell on average about 48 cases a week, and that's through vending machines and honor snack trays. Original is our best flavor, though on occasion I'll run  Nacho.  Go figure!  Gardettos also sell well for us, and for some reason, most accounts will consider it a "Healthy Item" (not sure why?). :) 

2 hours ago, flintflash said:

Believe it or not, our best selling chip items are Cheez-its and Bugles.  Yes, BUGLES!  They used to be an "in-and-out" rotation item for us, but about 5 years ago, they somehow blossomed into a staple item for us.  We sell on average about 48 cases a week, and that's through vending machines and honor snack trays. Original is our best flavor, though on occasion I'll run  Nacho.  Go figure!  Gardettos also sell well for us, and for some reason, most accounts will consider it a "Healthy Item" (not sure why?). :) 

Haha its funny that you mention Gardettos as having a healthy slant. Whenever I am craving something salty but want to lean healthy with my choose, I choose Gardettos. I know well enough that they aren't actually healthy, but its impulse for me! Maybe something about the packaging? Regardless, its good to know others feel the same way! Might be a way to give the image of stocking healthy product without actually offering a low seller.

1 hour ago, cblomqui said:

Haha its funny that you mention Gardettos as having a healthy slant. Whenever I am craving something salty but want to lean healthy with my choose, I choose Gardettos. I know well enough that they aren't actually healthy, but its impulse for me! Maybe something about the packaging? Regardless, its good to know others feel the same way! Might be a way to give the image of stocking healthy product without actually offering a low seller.

Exactly!  Somehow we've been able to do it, and the funny thing is; it's the customers that gave us Gardettos as a "healthy" option to put in the machine.  I figure, as long as they thinks it's healthy, I'll do it.  This led to other  "healthy" requests from other customers being filled with Gardettos and they liked the option as well.  As long as the world thinks they're a "Healthy" choice, I'm going to keep accomodating....LOL!  I have several others that asked for Rice Krispies Treats as a Healthy option"  I thought, "Seriously?!"  But again, they think it's healthy, so I'm not going to argue with them...LOL! :) 

Archived