Process for getting into coffee...

This seems a ways away for me, but I have had people ask, and am wondering about...

How to get into coffee? I think I would stay away from coffee vending machines, but would do coffee... I'm all ears for your guys' thoughts on coffee... I did read some older posts that made me quite scared about coffee vending machines... I think I'd be interested in putting a normal coffee brewer and supplying the materials...?

There's coffee vending and there is Office Coffee Service which can be batch brewers (pourovers, automatics or airpots) or single cup brewers which can be free to the user or can have coinage in them for charging for products.  The least expensive way to do coffee is with batch brewers where you basically loan the equipment and charge for the products used.  This is traditional OCS.  Single cup brewers do a limited number of products and are very expensive machines.  Coffee vending is between those two in expense and was the preferred way to do coffee for me because it's what I used for years, though I also did OCS so some extent.  Until you are well experienced in this business you might want to stay away from coffee if you can - it's a whole other animal.

AZ summed it up GREAT!  I have to agree, maybe hold off on the coffee service for now.  I know you are getting started, and MAN you have been hitting the ground running!  EXCELLENT!  But OCS is a different beast and requires a WHOLE slew of different concerns.  You will need an invoicing procedure and NOW run Accounts Payable on your books.  Some OCS companies only sell at point of service, so you would need to look into accepting checks or possibly a Cashless system like Square.  OCS customers call in for service more than vending, so your scheduling may need to be more flexible.  You need to be able to wash the bowls(pots), and learn how to repair/work on brewers.  If you do plumbed-in brewers, you'll need to learn how to run water lines....etc, etc.  You get the point!  There is SO MUCH more to learn with office coffee, not to mention the extra inventory you will need to carry and warehouse.  Don't overwhelm yourself.  Keep your focus on your vending and keep excelling at that.  Once you settle into a groove and have vending totally under control, then look to expand your services.  But too much right away can burn you out QUICK and run you ragged!  You're ROCKIN' right now!   Keep that going!  Just my 2 cents. :)

anI agree with everything said so far but after watching you go, I mean rock the work, this might be a good place for you to go.  We had a lot of office coffee accounts doing well over a $1000 a month.  We finally brought on a full-time coffee guy.  Once you get going you will come across some nice full line accounts wanting stand alone coffee machines or else.  Those are ugly.  But if you want to get large blue collar accounts that comes with the territory.

On the other hand Office coffee is simple.  First buy a bunch of Bun burners, for every burner out you need 7 glass coffee pots. Yep 3 red ring (decafe) and 4 black ring (reg.).  On the burners, you will either get normal pour overs (they fill a pot with water and fill the tank themselves) or probably more often than not they will want in line systems.  Plumbing the line isn't hard but if you can't do it, you will need a plumber.  Never do it if you are in a high-rise.  The building maintenance will do it.

When you service take replacement pots, two black pots and 2 red to replace , take the dirty pots back to the shop or home to put in the dishwasher.  You will carry a box with fitted places to put the pots for coming and going.  Charge for creamers, cups, sugars, etc.  Stirrers are always free.  We normally doubled our money on each product.

There is extra paperwork, this is a business.  If you ever go for a bank loan or line of credit they want to see your books.  Pay your taxes (there won't much of anything for your federal because your depreciation will eat it up)  Just pick up a Dome book (Staples) to complete each week or month.  At tax time just hand that baby to your accountant.  Or do books online.  Keep receipts.  If you haven't gotten your vendors license yet, do it.  Some vendors don't it to prevent paying sales tax. Again do it.  Vendors think they just pay the sales tax as they go at the warehouse.  Not worth the risk.  If the State catches you they will get your records from the warehouse then by looking at how much product purchased over time (they will go back 10 years) they determine how much the product would have brought in, based on the amount of you charge.  They do give you credit for tax paid at the store but then they bill you for the adjusted balance put a big fine on you and put liens on everything you own.  So just do the right thing.  Be a real business. 

My two cents which I am sharing because you seem like a guy wanting to just do the work and build a solid foundation to grow.  Of course, you don't have to do all of this in your first few years but you might want to start now. When you need a box truck or more equipment it will feel great to have the bank say, "Pick out what you need and have them call me."

B

Archived