That machine is supposed to be MDB so if you have an MDB coin mech then you connect the card reader to the machine first then the validator to the card reader then the coin mech to the validator.  That should be all you need to do to get a card reader to work.  If it doesn't then as already said, check with Vendnet on a newer eprom.

I'm no expert by far, but this is my fourth card reader install.  The other three were fine.  This one is a Lance branded machine.  From 1999, but even so was more advanced than the generic version of the same model.  It has mdb and DEX, yet the reader states "Vendor not ready".  The others were just "Offline, please wait" until they were up and running.  I was under the impression that mdb was really all you needed as it was interfacing with the dollar bill validator and coin mech.

I was asked if I had enabled cashless on the machine, but have no idea why that would be necessary.  I have a card reader on an older AP that works without issue.  I just don't have DEX on that one yet.  My Royal drink machines have card readers and DEX standard and worked just fine with the same card reader.  

So, I guess I will take advice and call Vendnet.  

Thanks for the input.

I've never had to activate a cashless option on the board of a usi machine, however that is a necessity in Nationals. So it wouldn't surprise me.
That being said, the problem you describe is likely the result of an incompatible eprom which might need to be upgraded if available.
You'll find this same problem with many soda machines including 501e's and Vendo 721's.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'll bet you dollars to donuts if it has a green control board ( gvc 1 i believe) the software needs to be updated. I just had this happen last week.

You can get a refurbished board from vendnet for around $140.

Whatever you do don't let them sell you their programmer. It only works 50% of the time and it was all out war to get them to return it when it didn't work :o

• 7 months later...
On 6/26/2017 at 2:29 PM, dwc31015 said:

Apparently it is SM6 as it is MDB.  I was told there was no board to accept card readers for this machine.

I was recently told you can upgrade the board on the SM6.  It is also possible to replace that board with an inone board which would give you everything you needed board-wise.

Yes.  It required an upgraded board and new keypad.  Works fine now.  I am grateful to InOne for making these boards.  I pick up older equipment for peanuts and upgrade them for far less than new/newer equipment.

Working on old USI 3076 machines now that will have the same capabilities.

• 3 years later...
On 2/7/2018 at 1:40 PM, dwc31015 said:

Yes.  It required an upgraded board and new keypad.  Works fine now.  I am grateful to InOne for making these boards.  I pick up older equipment for peanuts and upgrade them for far less than new/newer equipment.

Working on old USI 3076 machines now that will have the same capabilities.

Did you ever get that USI 3076 capable?