Vendo can Coke Machine won't accept coins

Hi all....  

I have an older Vendo can Coke machine with a TRC 6800H coin mech.  After multiple diagnostic runs, and suggestions from more than one person, including a repair facility I replaced the coin mech.  My problem is still present.  When I power the unit up the only thing that happens is that the bill validator cycles and the exact change only lamp comes on for a few seconds.  The coin mech makes NO sounds at all and  will not accept coins.

I replaced the mech with a unit that was refurbished in late 2016.  The mech DOES have power, as I can cycle the the coins out of the mech by using the 3 switches.  

When inserting coins they go thru the ramps in the mech and straight into the coin return.  The solenoids in the mech do not do anything.  There is also a red led on in the mech. The mech I replaced also had the red led on and was labeled as "blocker"

I am completely LOST!  I have been fighting this for 6 weeks off and on.

Just for information everything was working perfectly, so I unplugged the pop machine and cleaned the entire machine with air from my compressor, the next day when I tried to test vend it so I could deliver it and put it into service that's when the problem began.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated !

Rich

Moonlight Munchies

That's a tough situation.  The problem appears to clearly be coin-mech related.  Aside from a faulty validator or harness causing problems, the only real thing that comes to mind is a stuck coin return lever on the machine that's pressing down on the top of the coin mech effectively making it return change constantly. 

Now.. you've made things a bit confusing in your post.  When you say "... I can cycle the coins out of the mech by using the 3 switches..." followed by "When inserting coins, they go through the ramps in the mech and straight into the coin return.  The solenoids in the mech do not do anything..."  I am confused as to what you are saying.  When you say the 3 switches work, I am assuming you are talking about the nickel, dime, quarter switches on the front of the coin mech.  But when you say the solenoids do nothing, are you referring to the payouts at the bottom of the mechanism?  In other words, are you saying the mech does give change, even currently, when you use the switches?  Have you tried using dollar bills (assuming the machine has a validator in it)?  If the machine takes bills and immediately gives change, then it's highly likely that your coin return lever is pressing down on the mechanism.  If the machine simply rejects all coins, but the payouts work, then either the coin return lever is pressing down, there is a coin jam that's keeping the top of the coin mech open (which effectively does the exact same thing as pushing down on the coin return lever), or your coin mech is faulty.  The ONLY other thing I can think of is that there is a damaged harness somewhere between the coin mechanism and the relay.  It's very unlikely though.

So... the easiest thing to check is to make sure the top of the coin mechanism is not "open" even slightly as this makes the coin mechanism reject all coins (by design).  If it is the lever (from the machine's side), then it would have caused the problem with the previous mech too.

THANK YOU for the reply!

Sorry for the rambling..

Let me try try to clear things a little.

The coin return lever is not touching the mech, actually I can swing the coin much mounting plate away and insert coins into the mech without putting them in the slot on the outside and it has the exact same result.  I can use the switches on the front of the mech to payout coins.  The bill validator does not work and has not since I have owned the machine.  The machine was working perfectly until I cleaned it by blowing compressed air around everything.  Basically blowing the dust out and cleaning the condenser and compressor area.

I was able to buy soda and vending it from every selection except 1, and that one has a bad solenoid.

I do have one person telling me that it could be the credit relay.  I guess my next step is to check all of the connections AGAIN.  And check continuity thru all of the plugs in the harnesses.

I have never tried to do the right thing by cleaning all,of the dirt and dust away, and cause myself so much trouble.

Also when you insert coins the mech makes no sounds at all, when it was working properly and I inserted coins the mech would make a clicking sound (the on-board relays sending the coins into the mech and not out of the coin return)

It also makes no sound at all when powering the machine on, or plugging the coin mech in.

Check all your motor switches.  It sounds like there is an open circuit.  One switch arm should be in the notch of the cam and one on the high side of the cam on every motor. Then make sure all connectors are fully seated on the switches and that all the side terminals of the switches (common terminal) are captured.   If these are okay then look at your socket for the coin mech plug and make sure that no wires have pushed out of the socket.  Lastly, or firstly because it's easiest to do, unplug the validator power that is probably plugged into the coin mech socket first and plug the coin mech in by itself.  If you have a validator harness like this it could be bad and not allowing a good connection to the coin mech.  You can also try removing and reinstalling the vend credit relay to make sure it has a good connection.

So I just finished checking every connection that I could find.  I can manually activate every selection to vend by tripping the lever on the solenoid at each selection and still when I plug in the mech, there is no sound and the exact change light comes on for about 5 seconds and then goes off.  I do have change in the mech.  But still will not accept any coins, they all go right thru into the coin return.

I have even set the coin mech to no value to see if it will free vend but that doesn't do anything either.

Arghhhhh!!  So frustrated!

ANOTHER UPDATE!  I went thru the entire tuning process and the machine accepts coins and gives change, but will not vend.  This DOES sound like a credit relay, if I put the correct amount in then the machine starts rejecting extra coins until I unplug the coin mech and plug back in.  This tells me that it then clears the sale and is ready for the next sale.

Does THIS sound logical?

Still could be changer, relay, or a motor switch. My money has a wire pushed out of the socket where the changer plugs in. Pay particular attention to pins 3 and 7. The pins are numbered on the male changer plug.

Do what this guy did except use a momentary switch instead of a selection button. This will eliminate the changer. If the machine works, the problem is the changer. If not, it's the relay or a motor switch. With the relay and changer plugged in, push on all of the wires under each socket. I have seen pins push out even though they look fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0VxLvv-WU

From your description of tripping levers on motor solenoids then you have what's called a 'lowering shelf' machine.  That version of Vendo is junk and not serviceable.  It was Vendos early design before the Univendor design came out.  I would junk it and get a more modern machine that will be more reliable for you.  This is probably bad motor switches which is very hard to find without changing them one at a time.

I'm pretty proficient in wiring both 12v and 110v.  I made a jumper harness and did as the video showed, except just plugged the terminal momentarily instead of wiring a switch, no difference.

For the record I DID get a little tickle from the jumper terminal when I accidentally touched it while plugging it in.  LOL

1 hour ago, AZVendor said:

From your description of tripping levers on motor solenoids then you have what's called a 'lowering shelf' machine.  That version of Vendo is junk and not serviceable.  It was Vendos early design before the Univendor design came out.  I would junk it and get a more modern machine that will be more reliable for you.  This is probably bad motor switches which is very hard to find without changing them one at a time.

Unfortunately just junking it without trying a few of the easier fixes is not going to happen.  I've made progress and I'm leaning toward a credit relay now.

Archived