Vending 2 Gumballs

Kevinator

Does anyone vend 2 gumballs at a time? If so what kind of gumball wheel would you use.

Will  additional sales offset the additional cost? I did some simple math and if you use 2 22mm gumballs compared to 1 24mm gumball it looks as if it cost about 5% more in product. 2 19mm would be about 1% more in product cost, but they would probably be too small.

You can but most don't. You can get 2-for-1 wheels for Northwestern and Oak Vista/Acorn styled machines, but most of those are going to be old stock at this point.

If you're looking to do smaller gumballs, I'd recommend just getting the smaller mini-gumballs or chickle style gum and run it through a candy wheel.

Why would you want to give 2 gumballs? Say your a dad, 2 kids, both kids want gum now dad is going to reach into his pocket without even thinking and pull out 2 quarters but if he sees your machine giving 2 gumballs he only has to spend 1 quarter... you just shot yourself in the foot

On 7/2/2017 at 7:20 AM, Kevinator said:

Does anyone vend 2 gumballs at a time? If so what kind of gumball wheel would you use.

Will  additional sales offset the additional cost? I did some simple math and if you use 2 22mm gumballs compared to 1 24mm gumball it looks as if it cost about 5% more in product. 2 19mm would be about 1% more in product cost, but they would probably be too small.

I use a double wheel when someone sits on me. As far as cost goes your paying .024 (Sam's) cents per gumball so if you double that you are still doing just fine on your margin.

4 hours ago, parrotthead said:

Again WHY I can remember paying a quarter for a gumball 20 years ago, now you want to give 2 for a quarter

As I said above, when a competitor plops a gumball machine next to mine I use them because most people will opt for 2 gumballs for .25 instead of my competitor's 1 gumball for .25. I will usually get the majority of gumball business at that location and it only costs me about 2.5 cents extra per vend so I am still making 20 cents per vend which is acceptable to me.

1 hour ago, gumball guy said:

As I said above, when a competitor plops a gumball machine next to mine I use them because most people will opt for 2 gumballs for .25 instead of my competitor's 1 gumball for .25. I will usually get the majority of gumball business at that location and it only costs me about 2.5 cents extra per vend so I am still making 20 cents per vend which is acceptable to me.

I can see that

If it is a normal retail / restaurant type location with kids as part of the traffic I would add Emoti gum from A&A to the DB 850 assorted mix at one out of 3 or 4. Your cost will go from 9+% to 12% but you will have a unique product with a lot less increase in expense.  

The kids that really want the Emoti will end up spending a couple quarters with each visit....same tried and true concept of the 'loss leader' in a general cheap toy mix.

We don't do charity, but if we did I sure would at least test this strategy (for those locations with competition offering assorted gum).

I just thought I would get Vendors opinion. A guy has some machines for sale and some vend 2 gumballs and he said those machines do better than the ones that vend 1.  

A 24mm gumball is 2.5 cents and 2 22mm gumballs are 4.0 cents, would sales make up for the additional product cost. 

I thought I would ask, maybe the guy is telling the truth, maybe he is blowing smoke.

I also use the 2 for .25 gumball wheels when there is competition in a location. The wheels are fairly cheap and I keep 6 or so for the Northwesterns and Oak style machines.

I do not use them if I am the only vendor in a location.  

On 7/4/2017 at 9:41 AM, BorderJerry said:

If it is a normal retail / restaurant type location with kids as part of the traffic I would add Emoti gum from A&A to the DB 850 assorted mix at one out of 3 or 4. Your cost will go from 9+% to 12% but you will have a unique product with a lot less increase in expense.  

The kids that really want the Emoti will end up spending a couple quarters with each visit....same tried and true concept of the 'loss leader' in a general cheap toy mix.

We don't do charity, but if we did I sure would at least test this strategy (for those locations with competition offering assorted gum).

What is Emoti gum?

This is like going back to the Dime capsule.  Costs will continue to rise and as you grow the more costs you will incur.  We had 25 cent gumballs in the 1970's.

We do very well with 2for25.  Not only for locations that have other machines but also in locations that are slow.  Switch to 2for25 and you will be pleasantly surprised what happens.  There are a lot of value seekers out there that buy because it is a great perceived value.  Also there are a lot of parents that only have one quarter that typically wouldn't go out of their way to get more change to buy for both kids. 

At any rate, it works.  Always keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try new things and retry old tricks.  We use 1080ct gum for most of them but you can use 850ct just to see if it works for you.  

We keep the NOrthwestern wheels in stock for $3.00.

We have the Oak too for $3.00 or for $5.00 the conversion plugs come with it so you can choose to use it as a regular wheel or 2for25.  You can't go wrong that way.

Minimum of 3 per order.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, heritagevending said:

We do very well with 2for25.  Not only for locations that have other machines but also in locations that are slow.  Switch to 2for25 and you will be pleasantly surprised what happens.  There are a lot of value seekers out there that buy because it is a great perceived value.  Also there are a lot of parents that only have one quarter that typically wouldn't go out of their way to get more change to buy for both kids. 

At any rate, it works.  Always keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try new things and retry old tricks.  We use 1080ct gum for most of them but you can use 850ct just to see if it works for you.  

We keep the NOrthwestern wheels in stock for $3.00.

We have the Oak too for $3.00 or for $5.00 the conversion plugs come with it so you can choose to use it as a regular wheel or 2for25.  You can't go wrong that way.

Minimum of 3 per order.

I sent you a pm

Archived