Tubular Locks Getting Drilled - How to discourage..

fhamann

Hi gang,

Every now and then, one of my machines gets broken into or damaged by someone who drills out the tubular lock.  What is the best brand of tubular lock that will discourage drill outs?  Is it better to have a cheap lock so that the thief finishes the job, instead of half way drilling out an expensive (strong) lock that will take me a long time to finish the job the thief started?  What do you suggest?

regards,
Frank Hamann

Orange, CA

Cheap locks are easy to drill. Thieves like easy locks to drill or pop. Medeco and duo locks are extremely hard to drill and almost impossible to pull. Professionals will pass them up. Crackheads will destroy your vendor.   

No lock covers. Waste of money. Use a Medeco or duo plug lock and then an American or Medeco side puck lock they will keep walking. Outside vendors are always targets and no matter what you do they will try.  

19 hours ago, rmorris1953 said:

Outside vendors are always targets and no matter what you do they will try.  

I don't think I have any machines located outside for this very reason.  I know it would be worth my while if a location made a ton of money, but I can't imagine too much locations ever producing that much.  If the location won't do better than 15k/year, I don't think I would be happy putting a machine outside simply because of the elements.

Depending on the location it may be worth it. I have a few walking trail rest stops and parks. They make an absolute killing (refilled 4 to 5 times a week). For that amount of sales i don't mind placing a solid used machine and dealing with the odd vandalism. I do not put readers on them but I do add telemetry to know when to get there before machine has to much cash in it.

I have an outdoor go kart spot that does about $1,000 a week just out of a royal 650 every July and august. Same thing, just stay on top of it. 

The great thing about public locations is you can charge alot more per item than in a fixed plant/office location. I get 2.50 For Gatorade at those locations and $4 for monster. $1.50 For water (my cost is .15). 

Archived