Oak jam for M&I

AMD Snacks

I've got a location that moves quite a bit of MI that I have an oak 450 set up in. One of the only times I've had any issues with an oak was this location. The first time, It was hard to turn, not vending right, and a lot of MI dust was coming out. I take it apart and find a gob of mushed together MI at the bottom and almost looked semi melted. It's way indoors no where near a window, so I wasn't sure what was going on. Also the brush housing was missing some springs. 

Fast forward a few months, and it finally did the exact same thing yesterday. The first time I thought it might be that it was sitting in the car too long as it was being located with about 5 other machines that day and it was kinda warm. This time I know it wasn't hot, it's a very air conditioned restaurant, and it's in a little room with other vending machines. 

My final thinking is, that a 450 filled to the brim with MI is simply too much weight for the wheel to turn smoothly, and jammed it up. Otherwise i'm not sure i'm scratching my head. Last time I replaced the whole wheel housing. This time I replaced the entire head. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences? 

Ps it's a double with PMM on the other side, no issues to date on them. No issues with my other MI oak 450's either. 

That's a possible solution. For now i'm just not filling it all the way up. I've never had to use a baffle for candy before, tho i've never had jams before either. You had to ever try that?

I haven't had that issue, but I don't really have any locations that go through so much MI that I have to fill to the brim. I'm thinking that is the problem though. When you grab a bag of MI that was in the case for awhile, they tend to be clumped up and packed down pretty good.

I have a location with a 20" NW tart we sell mi and  ht, I use a bafbaffle on those. 

A 450 is pretty good size to be filled on either of those.  

If you have to use a baffel, call oak and get quick collect bases for it.  It'll service like a nw 60 don the baffel doesn't fall over. 

If it's a restaurant,  they may use hot water to mop or even a hose on the floor depending on type of floor they have.  I have several that do that and the condensation causes them to get sticky.  

• 1 month later...

Well, after the third time of this mysterious jamming, I asked the employees what they thought might be happening. Turns out it's just the location. Certain times of day the wood oven heats the place up pretty good and my MI are just melting. Ohwell time for skittles I suppose. 

I've got PMM, and aside from slight cracking it does fine. Really if I didn't see it first hand I wouldn't have thought that it was hot enough to melt the MI, but after three times, three different oak heads, it's hard to think it's anything else. Also i've been loading some other oak 450's to the brim just to experiment, and none of them have had that issue. 

be careful with skittles also.

just spent over a half hour yesterday stripping out a sticky mess from melted skittles. just not a/c'd no where near the sun, What happens more with skittles is looks fine outside but when it hits the moving parts where they get so soft they just get gooey and everything starts to stick.

FWIW

Archived