Cloverhill Bakery

57thTom

The Cloverhill Bakery was raided by immigration officials. Apparently a large portion of employees were illegal immigrants. Production has taken a big hit.  Not only affects Cloverhill products but they also baked famished for other brands(Mrs. Freshley) and they are also affected. Not sure how long it will take to recover. 

11 hours ago, cvending said:

The Cloverhill Bakery was raided by immigration officials. Apparently a large portion of employees were illegal immigrants. Production has taken a big hit.  Not only affects Cloverhill products but they also baked famished for other brands(Mrs. Freshley) and they are also affected. Not sure how long it will take to recover. 

This is correct.  INS came in to investigate and there were some 800+ employees that left.  My understanding is that they have been scrambling to hire and as of last week, supposedly had replaced most of their workforce.  However, as of yet, they have not been able to get production back up to where it was and all distributors have been getting cut.  I was lucky last week and managed to get my order filled, but then was cut everything this week. This could be a MESS for a while.  Mrs. Freshley is impacted only with their danishes.  Their cupcakes, pies, snowballs, dreamies, etc. are all just fine and available.  Be VERY CAREFUL if you purchase any Cloverhill from Sam's.  Their dates are extremely short.  Just my 2 cents. :)

Flintflash is correct about Mrs Freshleys per my rep at Vistar, they are up and running and trying to fill in the gaps on Cloverhill items.   Starting to see short dates and smaller displays on CH items at my local Sam's, so presuming they are running out of frozen inventory.  Going to try and use up what I have since summer is usually slower on pastry anyway, and get some sub items from Vistar...

We got shorted our Mrs. Freshley Cheese Claws and Cinamon danish today from Vistar. Cloverhill bakes all the danish type pastries for different brands. That is why Mrs. Freshley will also be in short supply everywhere.  

4 hours ago, 57thTom said:

I've been a baker. I think it will take a while to replace experienced people.

I don't know much about baking... but I would venture to say that the primary shoes to fill are just laborers that follow instructions such as mix batches, pack products in boxes, and shipping.  I can't imagine anything less than giant ovens being fed by long conveyor belts while the majority of people are just keeping the ingredients coming in and filling boxes.  What do I know though.

19 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Cloverhill dates should have more to do with the specific club based on how long they have been sitting on the shelf thawed.  I usually get 3-4 weeks. 

Generally, we get the same 3-4 week shelf life, but I was referring to right now with the shortage.  Sam's is running out their inventory and the many of the Sam's locations are putting shorter life product on their shelves just to have product to sell.  

Every Sam's that I have gone to here in Michigan (about 5 different stores) have had Cloverhill Big Texas Cinn. Roll and Jumbo Honey Buns with 1-2 week shelf life.  Pecan Twirls and Crumb Cakes are the only Cloverhill items we've found with any substantial shelf life to be worth running (Pecan Twirls normally have a longer shelf life anyway).  Just giving everyone an extra "hey, be sure to check your dates" before purchasing.  

Yes, Mrs. Freshley's is part of Flowers.  VSO is limited on what they have also (at least they were this week).  I know Vistar has cut me the last couple weeks, but I have been able to get Freshley's.  This is such a crazy mess.  Let me know if you have any luck with VSO.  

We got our regu;lar order from VSO today but were shorted all danish items. This will be a mess for a while. When the INS bus got filled at the bakery, they left and said they would be back. Bus filled to capacity. Those remaining behind left on their own and are afriad to return for fear of being gathered up on the next raid.

On a side note, I hear that the Mrs Freshley Honey Buns and Texas Cin Rolls are available. We don't use them so I can say if that is true.

VSO requires a 10-13 day lead on ordering. We need to order by 10AM Monday for delivery on the Thursday of the following week. Vistar has a huge freezer and keeps much on hand. 

Another reason I support high fines for companies that hire undocumented workers. If the fines get high enough, they will stop hiring under the table. The undocumented workers are also abused by landlords, I've seen it first hand around chicken processing plants. 

2 hours ago, cvending said:

On a side note, I hear that the Mrs Freshley Honey Buns and Texas Cin Rolls are available. We don't use them so I can say if that is true.

We haven't had trouble getting jumbo honey buns, Texas cin rolls, donuts, cupcakes and a few others in recent weeks, but everything else is a mess. We were told to not even attempt to order Cloverhill until further notice

Archived