Tapatalk App

The Mage

Should we try to keep the Tapatalk App  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like us to keep the app, or should we eliminate it from our system.

• Keep it
    • I dislike it, do not use it, or do not care if it is eliminated

This poll is closed to new votes

I have spent months trying to deal with an issue with Tapatalk. More recently it stopped working, and support has been slow and unhelpful. I am seriously thinking of just eliminating this headache from VENDiscuss. But I don't want to cause a problem if it was benefitting people, so I put up this poll to help me decide if I should keep expending my time and energy on this problem, or just eliminate it from our site.

This is a survey, not a vote. 

I have considered alternatives, and haven’t found anything significant. Some are modified versions of Tapatalk, and others have issues or fees.

Leave your comments below.

24 minutes ago, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

I REALLY like the Tapatalk app and it works wonders for me as a newbie if I am on-site dealing with an unfamiliar problem. 

I have solved many unfamiliar problems on-site by surfing through the taptalk app!

How does it help over the mobile site?

I figured people some people may not be aware of some of the benefits of the site, and how it can be navigated on a mobile device, so I put the following together.

Quick Menu.png

The left icon will show all the unread content. There is also an option to filter all the content, for example, any content you started or posted in. The right icon opens a sidebar. A collapsed version of the full sidebar.

The top two icons at the top of the sidebar below, are for notifications (globe) and your inbox (speech balloons).

OpenMenu.png

Selecting Browse, and then Browse again will take you to the homepage, but so will clicking on the LOGO at the top of the screen.

Browse will also get you to the download, and the gallery.

Activity is another way to choose to see unread content, content you started, follow, posted in, and members you follow. What's cool is that you can create your own content stream.

If you're on a full computer or decent size tablet, you will see the full site. If you shrink the browser window, you can see how it looks on smaller devices. The site is responsive based on the size of your screen, so we don't need a separate mobile site.

There are also some things that aren't available on Tapatalk, like the classified section, which was just updated.

I like using tapatalk because I can get all my forums in one place on my phone along with notifications from each of them. Just easier for me to follow on my phone but if you choose not to use tapatalk I will just have to follow through the web site. Just my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions....

I have had more contact with Tapatalk, and have still been working, trying to get it up and running. 

Obviously, the weekend would slow things down, so I am going to give them a little more time. I am still working on another solution though.

At this point, I'm thinking that if it can't get back up and running by the weekend, I may just give up on it. 

I know going into this poll that many wouldn't care either way and wouldn't respond. Others who don't like, or want to use the app really aren't affected if it goes away, so counting those two groups are a much larger number than the total that responded to the poll. The ones who want to keep the app are the ones most likely to respond, and that was the group I was most interested in.

The point is, only 3 people care enough to vote for keeping the app, and I am not sure that is enough to warrant the effort to keep it.

I have personal reasons as to why I would prefer it was gone, but that is more on the management of the forum. I do know that sometimes the members on Tapatalk may miss the benefits of the classified section, that, as far as I know, was never available on Tapatalk.

And the solution I had hoped was nixed by Invision Power Boards. Tapatalk wanted me to install a plugin, and Invision Power Boards say they will no longer support the plugin system and wants them to fix the application instead. (We are not the only board with issues.)

In my experience, Tapatalk has really lost it's luster as more and more websites are upgraded to more readily handle mobile devices. Even on my old clunker smartphone I can navigate the TVF without any real problems, making Tapatalk somewhat redundant.

I'll be curious to hear what others have to say about it one way or the other all the same though.

Unfortunately, as I have been working on this, we got hit by a bot attack. Looks like they didn't get through.

Not good timing for that. Made it look like we had 9 times the users for a day and a half, which does negatively affect the forum.

Beyond that, I am waiting for Tapatalk to respond. Support for the app is up to 5 people as I am typing this.

In the past, there are plenty of times I had to contact them more than once before they finally responded to me. I am done doing that, and will just wait for them to respond. If I don't hear from them by Thursday, I will pull the plug on Tapatalk. If they do respond, I will play it by ear.

After 2 weeks, (and months of other issues,) I am giving up on Tapatalk. Their last solution again did nothing, but give me more work.

I have been quite frustrated with this issue, and their lack of meaningful dialog is not helping. I think there is one issue that I have pointed out repeatedly, yet they have ignored it. If it isn't an issue, I believe they should tell me. If it is the problem, they should be dealing with it. Either way, they should at least respond to that part of my comments.

I am only mentioning this because I want people to be aware of my motivation in deciding to remove the Tapatalk app. As I said, the poll wasn't a vote as much as a survey. I was trying to find out if there was a decent core of users that really wanted to keep the app. I posted on Facebook, Tweeted about it, and posted an announcement on it here to find as many people as possible who wanted to keep the app. I do not think the numbers even justify the work and effort I have already put into it.

I am sorry for the inconvenience to those who used and supported the app.

I'm no expert on the matter but it seems to me that, as smart phones get better, mobile browsing will be much easier.  But what do I know.. maybe apps will be the way to go.  It just seems like something would replace this tapatalk app eventually anyway...

Archived