Locating: Scripts, Objections, Rebuttals, Success.

BudLeiser

I've noticed that all most all the pitches have the caller involved with a charity...do most people do this? I'm starting with one small candy machine and didn't plan to have charity involvement, at least not until I had a better idea of what I'm doing and how much money I'll be making. I also notice I see more non-charity affiliated machines of my type than not...is this a make or break thing to have in place when trying to place machines?

• Like 1

I've noticed that all most all the pitches have the caller involved with a charity...do most people do this? I'm starting with one small candy machine and didn't plan to have charity involvement, at least not until I had a better idea of what I'm doing and how much money I'll be making. I also notice I see more non-charity affiliated machines of my type than not...is this a make or break thing to have in place when trying to place machines?

It all depends.  Typically, when you're locating you either offer either charity or commission terms.  These are most common.  I have gotten a couple locations myself without mentioning charity or commission, but this is not to be expected.  The machines you've seen on location not labeled with a charity are more-than-likely commissioned or owned by the location owner.  If you know someone who owns a business, one which would work well for a candy machine, you could always talk to him/her and you're more likely to get a yes for no commission because he/she is your friend.

It all depends.  Typically, when you're locating you either offer either charity or commission terms.  These are most common.  I have gotten a couple locations myself without mentioning charity or commission, but this is not to be expected.  The machines you've seen on location not labeled with a charity are more-than-likely commissioned or owned by the location owner.  If you know someone who owns a business, one which would work well for a candy machine, you could always talk to him/her and you're more likely to get a yes for no commission because he/she is your friend.

Okay, so it can be either or. I was planning on going the commission way myself, at least for now. Thanks for the clarification! This thread is helpful.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone, first of all I would like to say what I fantastic thread and forum this is, so friendly and helpful. Secondly I would like to echo bishopvendingservices' request  - any of these tips for locating full line machines rather than bulk would be brilliant. Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I always show up in person never had much luck on the phone.  

Good afternoon I am ____ with ___ vending. Is the owner/manager here today. (if no, is there a better time I can reach them)

Repeat first line. Do you guys currently have vending machines? Are you guys completely satisfied with them. 

If yes- That's great. I would love to give you my card if you would ever like to get a hold of me. One thing that makes our vending company so popular is (fill in with what makes your company great) that our prices are 25% cheaper which I'm sure everyone would appreciate and my wife and I own the company so if you have a problem you can call me directly.      If no then find out why and have a rebuttle of how your company can solve those problems.           I've watched Jordan Belfort seminar (wolf of wallstreet) and he has some great tips in there for selling including having bottled enthusiasm and appearing sharp as a tac. 

• 1 year later...

Much good advice already. I do all my own box placements face-to-face and will just share what works for me:

1) Look good (casual but professional... biz logo or nice T-shirt or polo, clean shave and haircut, etc) and big smile, be very friendly.

2) Have something they want. That can practically sell itself. That something could be good candy, charity contribution, commission, great service, etc. The more the better.

A lot of people use charity connection to try to turn the screws on the potential box placement, but I find that cheesy (and 99% false). They quickly realize you are trying to pressure them, and most people will then resist that. Even if it works sometimes to pimp the charity angle, you still have to look it yourself in the mirror at the end of the day. Honesty is telling the truth, but integrity is being honest with yourself, ya know? It is fine to have a charity, but I wouldn't always lead with it when placing boxes. As for commission, I am too small time and too lazy at accounting. Therefore, I just have good product... and service. I show the quality candy and snacks they'd want at good prices, I tell them I provide good service with re-stocking, keeping them fresh, etc.

...No matter what main selling point you decide on, the key is to establish and maintain the tone of the convo so you are authentic but always explaining to them how you are going to do them a favor. Get it? Instead of explaining why they should let you put your box in their business, you want to offer to bring a good box which will be loved and helpful at their business. If they direct the tone to what you are getting from it, immediately try to flip it back to their benefit. It is all about who is helping who.

Option 1: 'Hello, can I talk to the manager... umm, hi sir, I am helping to collect money for charity X and would appreciate if you would let me put this box of penny candy which will be sold for dollars on your business counter."

Option 2: 'Hi, good morning (to first worker you encounter). I'm bringing these snack boxes to AnytownUSA businesses like this to offer high quality snacks at better prices than most vending machines... right in the break room. I know a lot of people don't like having to walk down the street or drive to get food when they want a snack or forget their lunch. No contract, no obligation, good re-stocking service as needed. I bet that'd help you guys out here?"

I don't do the cheapo candy like gumballs or charity mints, but I would probably sell them as a great way to keep the kids in their waiting room from getting too whiny and keep the parents liking the place.

Basically, it all comes down to who is doing who a favor. It is all about tone. Get it? GL out there guys, you will do well B)

"LAW 13

WHEN ASKING FOR HELP, APPEAL TO PEOPLE'S SELF INTEREST, NEVER TO THEIR MERCY OR GRATITUDE

If you need to turn to an ally for help, do not bother to remind him of your past assistance and good deeds. He will find a way to ignore you. Instead, uncover something in your request, or in your alliance with him, that will benefit him, and emphasize it out of all proportion. He will respond enthusiastically when he sees something to be gained for himself."

-Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

Edited by FlyGuy
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Great thread guys, very valuable information here.   Is there a set price for a monthly donation per machine that works better?  I was told $10.00 a month per machine is ok?  I imagine it's the first question they ask when using this pitch.

thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Fitz said:

Great thread guys, very valuable information here.   Is there a set price for a monthly donation per machine that works better?  I was told $10.00 a month per machine is ok?  I imagine it's the first question they ask when using this pitch.

thanks in advance. 

Just read your comments in the new vendor area so I have edited my post. Honestly, in full line you really don't need any charity affiliation to get in the door. AZVendor gave you spot on advice yesterday on this subject. Charity affiliations are much more of a bulk vending tool because you need LOTS of locations in order to make any real money. People don't look at bulk vending machines as a real asset to their business so the charity affiliation really helps sell the location on accepting the machine. I sold off all of my full line route a couple of years back but when I did have it I just knocked on doors.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:42 PM, gumball guy said:

Just read your comments in the new vendor area so I have edited my post. Honestly, in full line you really don't need any charity affiliation to get in the door. AZVendor gave you spot on advice yesterday on this subject. Charity affiliations are much more of a bulk vending tool because you need LOTS of locations in order to make any real money. People don't look at bulk vending machines as a real asset to their business so the charity affiliation really helps sell the location on accepting the machine. I sold off all of my full line route a couple of years back but when I did have it I just knocked on doors.

I was thinking the same, seems like 10 bucks a month for 3 machines would be embarrassing to mention lol.  Thanks for the advice I appreciate you and this forum.   After all, we are basically offering a free service. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

phone call or messaging online is always a waste of time.  you have to go to the business.  go in very non threatening with your phone out ready to show them a nice photo of the machine you're selling them. show confidence, but also humility. lots of eye contact, this first interaction is everything, they need to look you in the eyes and process in their brains over the period of a few short seconds that they can trust you. if you're looking at the ground or away from them, you're hiding something, or you're showing them you're not up to the task. don't be overbearing and pushy in any way... ask them, don't tell them.  have a demeanor to make them relax(unless i have anxiety that day, then it's tougher for me), there is a way to talk to people to make them comfortable and let their guard down. a lot of that is having no ego.  mention the commission percentage, tell them you're happy to offer it to them(i never do charity)  let them know that it won't be any work for them, and you'll be responsible for  refilling it, cleaning it, servicing it, and you take PRIDE in keeping it looking nice.  the machine you use never jams or causes issues. it takes up LITTLE SPACE.  tell them how often you come to service.  tell them they have no obligation to keep it, if there's ever an issue and they decide they don't want it anymore, give them your number and they can reach out to you(everybody likes having an out... we like having an out, and so do they lol). tell them the products you have.  i don't think they need to have any say in what goes in your machine, i mean this is your business. if you're ok with letting them have a say, that's fine, but i always tell them the 2 products i vend, and no one counters it. if people ask about candy, i explain why i don't vend it(i personally stick to gumballs/bouncy balls).  tell them you'd be grateful for a chance, and if they give you one tell them you appreciate them, and won't let them down. also can mention how a gumball for a kid can make their day and give a great impression of the business just based on that.

that's basically what i do when i go in there, and i've always had a decent amount of success locating.  one thing for me that's important is to research places beforehand.  i don't believe in bringing machines anywhere.  i'd rather keep the machine at home for 2 months and then find a great location rather than grabbing a bunch of meh ones.  go where the kids are, if kids are around it's hard to fail, because they're actively looking for machines like these when they go anywhere. the colors grabs them, the mechanism interests them, they want to turn the mech and have that experience of using your machine... getting a gumball/bouncyball/whatever else you may be selling is a big dopamine hit for them, and gives them a sense of achievment that they figured out how to work it. i know that's how i was when i was 8. i don't think kids have changed that much. in my opinion, ethnicity and gender is a factor to success.  hispanic people in my opinion are most willing to take you in.  they are less likely to give you a corporate spiel of "we're not going in that direction." they have more of a happiness and free spirit in general, and many are less greedy and thinking about more than just "how is this going to help my bottom line?"... they're thinking "this could make people happy". certain asian ethnicities also are more friendly.  i've had success with white people too, don't get me wrong(i myself am white), but lower success rate % than hispanic for sure.  greeks are most likely to care about their cut, and want higher commission rates.  women in general are easier to sell to than men. a little subtle charm to the opposite sex gives you an advantage.  they're more compassionate in general.  of course not all, some women are terrible lol.   

Edited by jay22