Head to head: Oak Vista 450 vs A&A PO-89 450

sherlock

This is a LOOOOONG post….sorry.

But, I am trying to be as informative as possible.

I don’t think there is a head-to-head review for these two machines on this forum.

I am only going to list the positive or negative things that are DIFFERENT.

Because these machines are so similar, they have many of the same pros and cons.

So, if I fail to mention something that is a glaring pro/con – realize that I probably didn’t post info on it because there was no difference from the A&A to the OAK for that specific pro or con.

Both machines are made up of the same body parts.

For this review, I will be using my own name for the parts (I don’t necessarily know the technical names), but I think most will understand what I’m referring to. If not, just ask.

The lid and lock with key: PO 89 WINS

One thing I liked about the lock/key through A&A is that you receive a key with EVERY machine. If you order 10 machines you get 10 keys, or Order 30 machines and you will get 30 keys, etc. I have ordered up to 15 Oaks and only gotten 3 keys. I’m sure Oak would provide more if I asked --- but why should I have to? I like having plenty of back-up keys, but if you don’t care about that, then this part of the competition is a wash.

The globe (clear plastic container that holds the product): OAK VISTA WINS

Oak’s globes are cleaner than the PO 89 globes. Of all my Oaks, I do not have a single “air bubble” in the plastic on any of them. 2 of my 10 A&A’s have little air bubbles in the plastic as if maybe the hot plastic wasn’t agitated enough while it was being put in the mold to form the globe. Some of the bubbles in the A&A globes are hard to notice, but they are there. Whereas even though I have REALLY looked hard at many of my Oaks, I have not found even ONE with a bubble.

The wheel - both models I own have 1.1” cap wheels that do bounce balls too: OAK WINS

Oak wins the “wheel” battle for one simple reason. The Oak wheel includes a single spring that shoots out from the stem like a helicopter propeller. This seems to agitate the product better when vending than those wheels that do not include this “propeller”. Though I have not experienced it, a logical conclusion can be made that the extra agitation leads to fewer mis-vends. The A&A PO 89 does not include this spring.

Coin box - The body that holds the coin mechanism and quarters: PO 89 WINS

The A&A coin box seems to have a thicker coat of paint on it than the Oak. The Oak scratches a lot faster. There are also less blemishes on the A&A’s paint job. The red is brighter on the A&A too. Most of the Oak machines I own have sharp edges at the top of the coin box. This doesn’t bother customers since it’s only an issue when the globe is off. But it is no fun when emptying the box while servicing. An Oak even cut me once because of this issue while I was moving a few coin boxes in my garage. It seems Oak doesn’t worry about filing down these sharp metal edges as much as A&A does.

Coin Mechanism (including the shoot door): PO 89 WINS

I studied the mechanics of these coin mechs from both companies very closely and found them to be pretty much identical in quality, weight, and design. But, the chrome finish on the A&A mechs and shoot doors is much more polished. It shines like a mirror. Whereas the Oak is rather a dull chrome. Add the PO-89's brighter chrome to the brighter red body (see coin box review above) and that makes for a more eye-catching machine than the Oak Vista. The A&A $.25 mechanism is also MUCH smoother than those from Oak. I own many more Oaks than I do PO 89’s. But, head to head, I have not experienced a smoother coin mech on any of my Oaks than I have found on EVERY PO-89 that I own.

The base: Metal base including the center threaded rod - - OAK VISTA WINS

While the base and center rod are pretty much EXACTLY alike from both brands, I give the nod here to Oak because of their consistent quality. 1 or 2 of the center rods on my A&A machines are a little bent. It then requires a little more concentration to get the lid and lock on. Whereas the Oaks I own have ALL had center rods that were as straight as an arrow…which allows you to simply pop the lid on and lock.

Overall:

Counting the above components you will notice a “tie” of 3 to 3.

There are some pros or cons I have listed that may not matter to you and therefore you may not view my review as a tie. Truth is, I too, do not see this head-to-head battle as a tie.

A&A wins because of the following facts gained from my PERSONAL experience (yours may vary):

1. A&A shipping costs less: The catalog price for both machines will show that the Oak is several dollars cheaper than the A&A model. However, when I factor in the higher cost of shipping from Oak and the price break you get from A&A when ordering as few as 10 machines (I never order less than 10), I actually get the PO-89 450 for LESS than the Oak Vista 450.

2. A&A gets me ALL my orders in a timely fashion. Here’s an example: I ordered from Oak recently on a Wed. I then ordered from A&A on Friday (2 days after my Oak order was put in). Well, 2 weeks later I am delivering my PO-89’s to locations so that they can start earning me money, but DO NOT have my Oaks. Where are those Oak machines? Hell, they haven’t even shipped yet! This is a true story…so factor in the lost income due to shipping delays (little though it may be – it still counts!) when comparing price.

3. My most important reason: Customer service. A&A has shown that they are MUCH better at communicating with customers. Invoices, Tracking info for orders, packing slips, and email exchanges are all handled smoothly and promptly through A&A. Through Oak? Not so much.

OVER-ALL WINNER:  A&A PO-89 450

HAPPY VENDING ALL!

I just received my first PO-89 450 and I must say I am impressed.  Just like the posts above said.  It is a great machine. Finish is nice. Coin mech works smoothly. Globe is Ok.  No blemishes in this one.

Paid  $49.75 with the 50 cents mechanism.  A good deal IMO.

Hillbilly

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my first PO-89 450 and I must say I am impressed.  Just like the posts above said.  It is a great machine. Finish is nice. Coin mech works smoothly. Globe is Ok.  No blemishes in this one.

Paid  $49.75 with the 50 cents mechanism.  A good deal IMO.

Hillbilly

Im glad to hear they finally have .50 mechs. I have been waiting on them awhile. Let me know if you have any jamming trouble. Also are they stack or side by side.

Mike

They both have good and bad points. Stacked mechs are simpler. They are just like a .25 they just have a thicker coin carrier and that is the problem. People think they are a .25 mech and can damage the mech trying to get it to turn with only one quarter in it. I guess I really dont have a preference. I just ordered two PO89's & two PN95's One each with .25 & .50 mechs. Ill checkem out.

Mike

Stacked mechs are simpler. They are just like a .25 they just have a thicker coin carrier and that is the problem. People think they are a .25 mech and can damage the mech trying to get it to turn with only one quarter in it.

Mike

That's a good point I had not thought of.

I can see this being a problem...especially for younger customers.

I can see how this is a problom.does NW carry a side by side 50 cent mech for the 60?

I dont think so. I think a slip clutch can take care of the problem but Im not sure what the up grade cost or how big of a problem it is. Im really interested to see these A&A mechs. I have always bought from Northwestern. I dont see that changing for our racks. Singles & doubles maybe.

Mike

I can see how this is a problom.does NW carry a side by side 50 cent mech for the 60?

This is a post from another board about what they saw at the NBVA show.

NW had a new 50 cent mech for the NW super 60 with side by side slots for the

quarters. Good looking design, changes the look of the 60 series machine for

the better.

This is just like a Windows 7 commercial. A side by side coin mech from NW was my idea!

Mike

Im really interested to see these A&A mechs.

No drop-thru coin mechs!? (Exept for the PO89 .50). The PO89 .25 and both PN95 do not. Man even SSF coin mechs had a drop-thru slot. Very disappointed.

Mike

No drop-thru coin mechs!? (Exept for the PO89 .50). The PO89 .25 and both PN95 do not. Man even SSF coin mechs had a drop-thru slot. Very disappointed.

Mike

Something's wrong there Mike.

I'd contact A&A.

I own 10 PO89's w/25cent coin mechs and ALL of them came with drop-through mechs.

I've tested them myself and find nickles/dimes/pennies when servicing them...so I know they work.

I did not pay for any upgrades so I am sure they sent me the base-model coin mech (if there are different models).

I bought all 10 this year.

A word to the wise...

Be careful when you order any of A&A's 1" vendors.  They put it these horribly cheap mech's to keep their price competitive.  Ask for the better mech's for $3-$4 more and you will be happy you did.  The 2" machines work great and have nice mech's.  I have been using them for a few years and they are trouble free so far.

Gary

A word to the wise...

Be careful when you order any of A&A's 1" vendors.  They put it these horribly cheap mech's to keep their price competitive.  Ask for the better mech's for $3-$4 more and you will be happy you did.  The 2" machines work great and have nice mech's.  I have been using them for a few years and they are trouble free so far.

Gary

When's the last time you got one of the cheaper mechs from A&A Gary?

I ask because I wonder if things have changed for the better since you last got one.

I have both A&A and OAK mechs and they are made of almost identical parts, materials, quality (so far), style, appearance, and sturdiness.

I have not had quality issues with parts from either company.

A word to the wise...

Gary

I had alot of problems with quarters stacking up and jamming with this mech, I found that the back plate had a ridge/shelf that didnt allow the quarters to fall through, I used my dremel and removed this area, I havent had any problems since doing this. it's hard to explain but if anyone wants to know more I could take pics of what I did.

I believe that the heavy duty 25 cent coin mechs dont have the drop thru available if this helps.I know nothing about the 50 cent mechs.

That might explain Big Mikes post.

He may have purchased the heavy duty ones.

The standard mechs on the PO89 do have drop-thru.

I can not understand why someone (A&A) would mfr a "heavy duty" mech and NOT put one of the best features of their standard mech on it....and charge folks more for the "upgrade" on top of that.

I see too many pennies/dimes/nickels while servicing to ever want a machine without the drop-thru function.

thats good news!now I wish they would stop copying all your ideas mike!

I don't think I can agree on this one. I'm rather glad they are using Mike's idea because I can't buy the idea. Now we have the option to buy the mech.

That might explain Big Mikes post.

He may have purchased the heavy duty ones.

The standard mechs on the PO89 do have drop-thru.

I can not understand why someone (A&A) would mfr a "heavy duty" mech and NOT put one of the best features of their standard mech on it....and charge folks more for the "upgrade" on top of that.

I see too many pennies/dimes/nickels while servicing to ever want a machine without the drop-thru function.

not to mention the coins are hard to remove from the coin mechs if they dont drop thru