Introductions & Scripts

mike

Hello All.  I'm planning my first placement attempt tomorrow afternoon.  I'd like to ask you experienced folks what scripts you use and what times you visit local businesses?

My script version 1.0:

Hi,  Could I please speak to the owner or manager.  My name is Mike and my company, Vendingco, places bulk vending machines in support of the National Children’s Cancer Society.  NCCS provides educational and financial assistance to families of children  living with cancer.  There is no cost on your part, and we are also giving away this $25 certificate to either Carabas or Goodyear tires  if you allow us to place this machine at your location.  (Hand over flyer and charity information)  Would you allow us to place a machine at your location?

Timing:

My wife suggested to visit restaurant owners between 2-5:00pm.  What's your experience?  Does it matter?

• Like 1

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum!

First off let me say that I appreciate your support in getting this site kicked off by posting such an intriguing post. I'm sure many operators have their own way of breaking the ice when approaching a location owner. I hope they will share.

As for your script, It seems to be well thought out and effective. It should do very well for anyone who has good communication skills. I, on the other hand, am not so good at verbal communication. Especially when it comes to locating. I tend to get all tounge tied and stumble through lines and end up looking like Charlie Chaplin riding a unicycle in downtown Tokyo!

To be honest I have very rarely went into some place cold and asked for the location, although I might start now that I'm on to the gift certificate thing. Most of my locations have come from referrals and relationship building. Its a slow process but it worked for me.

Your script seems as good as any. You will find that it will change as you gain confidence and you learn what reactions you get in response to it. When Rob logs back on I'm sure he will be able to give you some insight as to what has worked for him.

Once again, Welcome!

Steve  

• Like 1

Hey Mike,

I would use Carrabba's instead of Goodyear for your gift cards.  I think instant enjoyment locations like Carrabba's have more of an appeal personally. 

$25 is generous, it will be hard for places to say no, haha. 

Ok, I go to restaurants between 11:00AM (usually opening time) and 11:45AM.  Or I will go from 2:00PM to 3:00PM.  Both of these are slow times for lunch spots.  For dinner spots I would say between 4:00PM and 6:00PM would be best.

I'm not sure if you know about my blog but you will find more on scripts especially using the gift card idea that I did.

Rob

http://candyman007.blogspot.com

• Like 1

Here. I use this script! I put your name in.

Hello, my name is Mike, with the Vendingco vending company.  I am here to today locating small machines like this one in businesses in this area (show them the picture of the machine).  This machine helps benefit the National Children’s Cancer Society (Show them an example of the sticker in your folder).  They help parents of children fighting cancer by providing financial and emotional support, paying for medications not covered by insurance and providing housing when treatments are far from home among many other things.  The machine would have the sticker on the front and the percentage of the proceeds goes to benefit this charity.  The machine is very small (give brief dimensions such as height and base dimensions).  The machine does not cost you any money.  If you allow us to put the machine here, we will come out and clean, fill the machine, and maintain it once a month.  If you need us before then, we will leave our number for you to call at anytime.  Do you think we can try the machine? 

Hope you like it Mike!

Kyle G.

• Like 1

I used the below script and secured both the second and third phone call I made. I only made ten phone calls.

Hi, Is the manager in?.......  Hi, My name is Alan .  I'm calling on behalf of BASE Camp Children's Cancer Foundation in South Florida. We provide a year-round base of support for children and families dealing with cancer............( wait for reply )......the reason I am calling is..... 

We are not asking for any money we were just asking if you could donate a square foot of floor space for a small gumball machine that supports the kids. We fill it up and service the machine about once a month. 

It's completely free for you and it supports the kids at BASE CAMP. We have someone in the immediate area and would like to show you how well they would look in your business. Can our service rep show you the machine today? He is in your neighborhood now?.....

Well, I got off the airplane and went by 3 places yesterday before I ran out of time.  Carraba's, Goodyear, and Jiffylube.  I figured it would be easier for me to hit up locations where I was about to business with anyway.

Carrabas:   The manager will pass on the info to Sid, the owner..

Jiffy Lube:  Manager was cool but he said the owner didn't like the machines because the kids break them..:huh:

Goodyear:  They already had 3 machines; 2 Vendstars and a 2 head gumball.

0 for 3 on Friday :-(

I have a lead on a place called Noodleville I'll follow up with this Friday when the manager is in town.  Tomorrow I will hit up a Thai restaurant near my work.  It seems it's best to know when the owner is in town so you don't get the run-around.

i think you guys might be a little to quick to give away your hard earned money with these gift certificates. if they are going to say yes then it is more than likely not because of the gift card.

if the only reason they are saying yes is because of the card how long are you going to keep this stop anyway? the next few times you come in without a gift they are gonna toss you out.

if they are open to charity machines in their locations there is no gift card needed.

save your money, buy more machines with it.

Pusherman,

You make an interesting point. I wonder what the long term effects of the promotional offering will be? I will be interested in hearing back from Rob in a month or two to see how that turns out.

Steve

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback here.  I've been slow to report back, so here I go:

I was happy with the results of the placement company I used, Affirmative Locating.   They were fast - 2 locations in just 1 day.   Just a little on the expensive side.  So this time, I am trying out Great Lake Locators.  So far the price is right, and they seem willing to work with my schedule.  I'll keep you updated.  They begin the calls this coming Wed.  My eBay machines should be here Wed as well.  They're used so I'm sure I'll have to do some reconditioning.  Next week should be busy for me!

Mike,

Thats great to hear! So how many machines do you have out there now? I'm glad you had a good experience with a locator. Please do me a favor and add a write up on them (and anyone else you use) to our locator forum. I would like to get feedback, good or bad, from anyone using a locator.

Continued success!

Steve

• 2 months later...

Here's my present rap.  I don't have much of a 'script' in my mind, but most of this language comes out of my mouth while approaching an owner.

'Good afternoon, how are you?  [Handshake].  My name is Ché, and I participate in a vending-outreach program with a charity called Local Hunger Ltd.   Each machine I place generates between 80-100 pounds of food a year IN THIS STATE.  The charity is based in GA, so the money collected locally goes to them first, and then is distributed as food to local soup kitchens and shelters.  Would you be interested in hosting a small machine here in your store?  You know the type, they only take up about this much at the base [show with hands], and the head is about this big [gesticulate again].'

If they haven't started shaking their head vigorously halfway though, I'll say:

'I normally start a location off with a double-head, and there are quite a few candy possibilities.  What is your favorite candy?  I can do PM&Ms, Runts, Skittles, Mike & Ikes.  (This will usually get a yes on one of them, or they'll offer their favorite). Oh, also, do you like Jelly Belly Jelly Beans(who the hell doesn't)?  They actually make gumballs that taste EXACTLY like the jelly beans, does that sound good to you?'

This ensures I have at least 1 customer, and then because I've already got them in a yes ladder, I lead them into the Jelly Belly gumballs as though they were asking for them, though it's my preference to place them. 

-Lucero

"Would you be interested in hosting a small machine here in your store?"

I suggest you leave this line out. NEVER give the customer a question they can say no to. The rest of your pitch is fine. The only other change I would suggest is on the JB gumballs. I would probably go with " I suggest Jelly Belly gumballs. They are great and I know you and your staff/customers will love them." Again my thinking is don't lob them a potential "NO" right at the end of your presentation.

"Would you be interested in hosting a small machine here in your store?"

I suggest you leave this line out. NEVER give the customer a question they can say no to. The rest of your pitch is fine. The only other change I would suggest is on the JB gumballs. I would probably go with " I suggest Jelly Belly gumballs. They are great and I know you and your staff/customers will love them." Again my thinking is don't lob them a potential "NO" right at the end of your presentation.

tedk,

In a large amount of the trainings I've gone through and books I've read, I've had 'not asking for the sale' preached at me as the biggest mistake a salesperson can make over and over.  Can you post your pitch?  I'd be interested in reading how you get the machine in the location without asking for the sale (or asking for it without a chance for a no).  I'm definitely open to retooling if I'll end up with a higher conversion rate.

Thanks,

-Lucero

Lucero:

I'm sorry I don't have a script that I use or I would share it with you. I agree that all good salesmen have to remember to ask for the order, but always try to frame the question so it is a choice of positive answers, not yes or no.

I would try things such as "would you like me to place it here or here?"

or " I have one in the car, do you want it here or here?"

or "This is a great location for a Jelly Belly machine. Do you want candy head as well or will we just start with the gum ball head?'

Anything that keeps the location choosing between to positive answers instead of between a positive or a negative answer will give you more closes.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I put a triple head in the break room, which only employees can access (roughly 20-30 people).  Sounds like I should think of relocation.  I had a great time selling though.  The manager ate it up.  Thanks for the advice, I just picked up 6 more machines, 2 ready to go.  Tomorrow I will attempt to find some good locations for them.

• 4 months later...

A so/so locating is always better then a locating in your den in your house. Locate all of your machines, track sales and then re-locate the slowest one. DON'T pull the slowest one until you have locating for it. WJT