In the big picture of business ownership.....

hutchdavidson

In the big picture of business ownership, that is, comparing bulk vending to any and all types of businesses to own, how does it compare in overall difficulty and satisfaction? If there was a scale of 1-10 for how overall rewarding or "good" a type of business is to be in, how would bulk vending rank?

Im trying to get an idea if this sort of thing is a blood sweat and tears type of business or if its relatively simple and rewarding compared to the work required to make it successful. Dont mistake my query as trying to find a lazy way to make money. I just want to know where vending would rank as compared to every type of business everyone on this board could reasonably own.

Thanks!

I think that a lot of people get out of bulk vending because they find it is more work than they thought it would be. It is.  Also a lot of them buy into the biz op's and think the returns will be much higher than they are.

I get personal satisfaction out of taking a piece of junk and turning it into something very usable.  I am also a people person and love the locating. One of the greatest feelings to me is knowing that I am doing it by myself. Not for a company that I am just working for.  I think I try to put a little more pride into things because of that.  Would I do it full time.  You betcha.

To answer your question though, I rate it as a 10 as far as satisfaction goes.  My other job ( Territory Sales Rep ) is really good but it is a total pain in the golpher most days.

I think it is something that gets into your blood.It isn't all about the money.It seems with me that every time I start building up some money in the vending account I just buy more stuff. Yesterday  after draggin a heavy box to my front door the mail lady asked my wife what  did he order now!. I really like pullin quarters but I also really like takin machines apart..cleaning ,painting etc. Guess I'm hooked!!

Dave

Hutch it's plain and simple for me! Bulk Vending Rocks!

I consider myself very fortunate to be a bulk vendor. The freedom it allows me is immeasurable. I use to wear a suit everyday to work, now most days I wear shorts, t shirt and flip flops.

So on a scale of 1 to 10 bulk vending is a 10 for me!

Do you have any locations yet? 

Waiting on 5 stands for my NW 60's getting shipped from dperry this weekend. Also gotta order 3 gumball wheels. Or I guess I could leave them for candy and the other two gumball. I kinda wanted to make them all 1" for consistency and because all I hear around here is how great gumballs sell compared to candy. Then Im going to call Kickstart or Eddie.

Well it is certainly easier and cheaper to get started than a "traditional" business.

First, lower start up cost.  No need to invest huge dollars or go into debt to get started.  Start with less than 10 machines and go from there.

Second, take the business for a test drive.  This is huge!  How many other businesses can you simply "try out" and walk away from with little money (or debt) out of your pocket.  No need to buy into large vending packages and risk thousands of dollars just to get started.

Third, No employees.  For some that is a "biggie".  Employee overhead is the biggest expense (and headaches) for most businesses.  I personally don't want a business that needs employees (other than select family members) - too much aggravation in terms of drama, bad attitudes, complaining, unreliability, theft, etc.

Of course, the day to day operations will have it's ups and downs just like any other business.  And you still have to work hard at it.  I like the start small and grow (and learn) slowly approach that vending offers.

I was planning on hitting a portion of my route today.  But the belt in my car broke, and is in the shop, so I am putting it off for a day or 2.

It is this flexibility that I like.  So I didn't hit my route today.  I'll still make the same amount of money.  My machines are still there working for me.

Also when i do my route, I schedule a general time to do the route.  If I start an hour later then I had planned, no big deal.  (Although I have locations that close at 5:30 pm, so I need to be there before then.)  When i am doing my route, I decide when I take my breaks, and for how long.  (I usually don't take breaks though.) 

It is this freedom that I relish.  And mustard too.  (Okay, that was bad.)  Last time I did my out of town route I had a problem, and ended up running late.  I picked a couple of my slowest locations and skipped them, knowing they would be fine the next time I did my route.

If I ever find there is a location I just do not like going to for any reason, I could just pull the machine.

Annoying things can and do happen though.  Finding out your machines was jammed with a nickle.  Getting kicked out of your best location.  Getting a call because your machine isn't working, and finding out that for some reason 2 locations couldn't connect to my phone.  But as annoying as these events are, they are not as annoying as some of the things I have had to deal with at my regular job. 

Maybe not my dream career.  i am enjoying it, and it fits me well.

A  bad day in bulk vending is better then a good day at my regular job!!!!    I usually try to do my collections on the weekends. The night before I'll stock my car with my products while having a few cold ones after a long work week  then the next morning I'll get get up around 8am and I'm off.  My first stop is a coffee shop right down the street , I'll do  my service, shoot the breeze with the owner for a bit , grab a coffee and then continue  collecting  quarters for the day  .......There's nothing better!!

This business is a 10 for me as well.  I bought my first machines in my early 20s and now I'm pushing 40 and still love it.  I have dabled in others types of business but this by far is the best. 

Since youve been doing this a long time and ave dabbled in other stuff, what makes vending tops for you?

Archived