How to catch a thief?

Profits

Thanks. I'm hard of hearing and dislike having to make phone calls. I try to avoid them unless I can't, in which case it can get a little awkward.

I suppose I'll have no choice if want to get quotes from Baton and Lock America. $8 sounds very affordable, but do they have a charge to set up your personalized key?

No set up but there is a min order if I remember its either 500 or 1000 locks. When I got mine I ordered 3000 and re ordered since. Re ordered have no min.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

That's for the bulk discount. I only ordered 5 and it cost me something like $36 with 2 keys but I don't know the exact price after shipping until I get the invoice.

I received the locks today. They are MUCH more secure than I had originally thought, after pulling the locks out of the package. The slots in the key have varying heights which make it so if you don't have the exact key, you won't be able to turn it. The biggest factor is the outer barrel will NOT turn whatsoever because it's edges lock it into place, unlike the Chicago Lock Co's locks which turn easily with a screwdriver. With the Baton locks, the inside of the lock is the only part that turns.

My one gripe is that you really have to press it into the threads of the rod in order to get it to engage. I spent about 5 minutes fiddling with some machines in my storage unit testing it out, and thought for a few minutes that it wasn't going to work... until I got frustrated and just torqued the hell out of it and it engaged just fine... when I applied a bunch of pressure.

Anyway, aside from that gripe these locks seem super secure to me. There's gonna be no chance outside of using a drill anyone will be able to get into the machines...

That's for the bulk discount. I only ordered 5 and it cost me something like $36 with 2 keys but I don't know the exact price after shipping until I get the invoice.

That's not a bad price for what you seem to be getting.

The $8 havending price is only a little less than where you will be after shipping and you didn't have to order more locks than you need right now.

Are those keys exclusive to you now?

I received the locks today. They are MUCH more secure than I had originally thought, after pulling the locks out of the package. The slots in the key have varying heights which make it so if you don't have the exact key, you won't be able to turn it. The biggest factor is the outer barrel will NOT turn whatsoever because it's edges lock it into place, unlike the Chicago Lock Co's locks which turn easily with a screwdriver. With the Baton locks, the inside of the lock is the only part that turns.

My one gripe is that you really have to press it into the threads of the rod in order to get it to engage. I spent about 5 minutes fiddling with some machines in my storage unit testing it out, and thought for a few minutes that it wasn't going to work... until I got frustrated and just torqued the hell out of it and it engaged just fine... when I applied a bunch of pressure.

Anyway, aside from that gripe these locks seem super secure to me. There's gonna be no chance outside of using a drill anyone will be able to get into the machines...

Did you get the dimple locks? There is also a cool way of mounting a key on a nut driver for easy service.

Did you get the dimple locks? There is also a cool way of mounting a key on a nut driver for easy service.

You've mentioned this before.

Can you start a thread on that?

I think a lot of us would love to see how you do it.

THANKS!

• 4 months later...

Well, apparently I had a much more significant theft problem than I had ever imagined. Today I serviced the account and I had quarters spilling all over the floor with each machine. That has NEVER happened before. And product levels were maybe at 1/3rd.

F*****g pisses me off thinking about how much money I lost.

Well, apparently I had a much more significant theft problem than I had ever imagined. Today I serviced the account and I had quarters spilling all over the floor with each machine. That has NEVER happened before. And product levels were maybe at 1/3rd.

F*****g pisses me off thinking about how much money I lost.

At least you cured the problem.

I had a Theft problem on a A&A rack at a local diner,

they would go after the 2inch machines only. i guess easyier and not as noticable as pulling the 1inch ones apart and dumping quarters out upside down

I ended up doing a few things to prevent and still look good

I added two flat screws to the fold down coin mech door so i would have to take the two screws out first then it woud fold down

i came back to the screws on the floor..

then i now know someone has a key/keys

i changed the locks, next month they screwdriver spun the locks

so not to be defeated i ordered

http://www.pimall.com/nais/visspray.html

i put it in the coin trays and waited for the owner to tell me who had barney purple hands for 3 days

turns out it was the night manager

lost his job and turned in for theft and vandalisim

made a huge mess of the machines

i still have purple tinited coin catchers as a memento

In high theft areas (i live near detroit)

I drill the metal lids and add 2 cam locks to the sides and i cut a slit in the plexiglass sides

so i triple lock the top one in the middle standard and two on opposite sides _I I L

you have to secure the plexiglas side panels from sliding up but i just add set screws at the bottom

bill

wear gloves and use a spoon to handle the theft powder..... and if you like your shirt

dont do it with a fan or wind or door opening o.0

not that i learned that first hand or anything...

http://www.pimall.co...s/visspray.html

wear gloves and use a spoon to handle the theft powder..... and if you like your shirt

Wow, that is a REALLY good idea. Too bad I didn't know about it before I changed the locks. I would have loved to see someone get fired because of this..

I had a Theft problem on a A&A rack at a local diner,

they would go after the 2inch machines only. i guess easyier and not as noticable as pulling the 1inch ones apart and dumping quarters out upside down

I ended up doing a few things to prevent and still look good

I added two flat screws to the fold down coin mech door so i would have to take the two screws out first then it woud fold down

i came back to the screws on the floor..

then i now know someone has a key/keys

i changed the locks, next month they screwdriver spun the locks

http://www.pimall.co...s/visspray.html

i put it in the coin trays and waited for the owner to tell me who had barney purple hands for 3 days

turns out it was the night manager

lost his job and turned in for theft and vandalisim

made a huge mess of the machines

i still have purple tinited coin catchers as a memento

In high theft areas (i live near detroit)

I drill the metal lids and add 2 cam locks to the sides and i cut a slit in the plexiglass sides

so i triple lock the top one in the middle standard and two on opposite sides _I I L

you have to secure the plexiglas side panels from sliding up but i just add set screws at the bottom

bill

Bill, this is an amazing idea!

I showed up to a location once and found my machine sitting there with the lock drilled out. All the employees and manager have no clue. LOL someone came into your pizza place and drilled out the lock and no one noticed. The machine is a shootin hoops that had been filled to capacity with bouncy balls and was nearly empty of balls, but was completely empty of money. 200 dollars for sure. Oh well removed it and then moved machines from their other place that my lock was removed and replaced with their lock.

I showed up to a location once and found my machine sitting there with the lock drilled out. All the employees and manager have no clue. LOL someone came into your pizza place and drilled out the lock and no one noticed. The machine is a shootin hoops that had been filled to capacity with bouncy balls and was nearly empty of balls, but was completely empty of money. 200 dollars for sure. Oh well removed it and then moved machines from their other place that my lock was removed and replaced with their lock.

That's some nerve. Replacing someone else' locks with their own? That's dirty.

Performa it was pretty funny when I took the machine they were stumbling all over themselves about it. They were probably a little scared and worried about it. I figured I would just bring it home and drill it and give them a nice little payback. The cool thing is those two machines pulled in nearly 1k each over the 6 months they were in the location and then they broke into them.

Performa it was pretty funny when I took the machine they were stumbling all over themselves about it. They were probably a little scared and worried about it. I figured I would just bring it home and drill it and give them a nice little payback. The cool thing is those two machines pulled in nearly 1k each over the 6 months they were in the location and then they broke into them.

So what was their explanation as to why they replaced your locks with their own? That's amazing to me anyone would do that.

Today I went to service my Mall location. I've got a few machines in there. I found my Routemaster Triple's coin door lock had been messed with. Someone (I'm not sure quite how) bent the latching mechanism on it, and then unscrewed the bolt to open it up. Then they left all of the parts inside. Lucky for me, I keep the larger spare latch taped to the inside of the machine. Despite it being completely unlocked, it had been closed, and I still pulled almost $7.00 from it. I'm curious as to how this had been accomplished without causing more damage to the machine, or without being spotted. Also curious, why were all the parts left behind? I notified the mall (it's in their interest to solve this, they get 50%) and they said they'd "keep an eye on things". Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

If I notice anything else going on, I think I'll invest in some of that powder Bill was talking about- then we'll see how that goes!

Archived