Looking for help about honor boxes

I have just started an honor box business and I am hoping to get some feedback here from people who are in the honor box business. My question is this: with the locations that have a high theft rate and don't seem to respond much to shortage control cards should you always pull the box from the location? I've thought about going to the business owner or manager and telling them that I could keep the box there but that I would need to collect the money every time I came to exchange the box for a new one. Also I would say that if I did this I would cut them (the business owner or manager) 20% commission from my net profit on every box. Anyway, what do you all think about this. Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, pull the box if need be due to theft. In honor boxes always be looking for accounts. If you stay at it you should be able to grow and honor box business to well over 100 plus accounts in a short period of time. Keep in mind I am talking about an 8 hour day 5 days a week working at building the business.

DO NOT offer commission in honor boxes under no condition.

Dogcow is our resident honor box guy with a active route he works. Give him a bit and he will chime in for you also.

Great advice RJT. I've recently started honor box vending as well and I'm a bit surprised of the amount of "resistance" I get, most places need to run it by their corporate office. Anyway, keep trucking and yes I would pull the box and always be looking for new locations.

I have just started an honor box business and I am hoping to get some feedback here from people who are in the honor box business. My question is this: with the locations that have a high theft rate and don't seem to respond much to shortage control cards should you always pull the box from the location? I've thought about going to the business owner or manager and telling them that I could keep the box there but that I would need to collect the money every time I came to exchange the box for a new one. Also I would say that if I did this I would cut them (the business owner or manager) 20% commission from my net profit on every box. Anyway, what do you all think about this. Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

sorry i havent got to reply to your email yet so ill reply here on this issue. always pull the box., heres the thing the big selling point i use is that the biz owner has NO responsibility to look after the thing. once you start making it a hassle for them they will kick you out anyway.

the only reason the volume is high there is cause they are stealing LOL

theres no shortage of places to put an honor box its not like vending where

the location really matters much so i say pull it and just keep trying.

if i see the manager or who ever at the location now and then i will kick them a free pack of mini-donuts, a snickers, or whatever and thank them for keeping an eye on things for me in the good accounts.

It can't hurt to talk to the manager before pulling the box can it? Saying something to the effect of "The box keeps coming up short. I don't want to keep you guys from your snacks, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove the snack box - unless you have a better suggestion?" The worst they can tell you is to take your box and go. In my (somewhat limited) experience they will often offer to talk to their employees about the problem (which sometimes works), or in some cases even cough up the difference.

I have a busy pawn shop that ate a ton but had theft above 50% for three weeks. I left a note on the box indicating it was short and I would have to remove it. On the next service the manager approached me, asked me to count the money, and paid the difference from the till. He also paid the full amount owned on the previous two services, and told me to see him anytime in the future if the box was short. Once employees get hooked on snacks it can be more trouble to the manager to have the box removed than it is to pay for their theft.

It can't hurt to talk to the manager before pulling the box can it? Saying something to the effect of "The box keeps coming up short. I don't want to keep you guys from your snacks, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove the snack box - unless you have a better suggestion?" The worst they can tell you is to take your box and go. In my (somewhat limited) experience they will often offer to talk to their employees about the problem (which sometimes works), or in some cases even cough up the difference.

I have a busy pawn shop that ate a ton but had theft above 50% for three weeks. I left a note on the box indicating it was short and I would have to remove it. On the next service the manager approached me, asked me to count the money, and paid the difference from the till. He also paid the full amount owned on the previous two services, and told me to see him anytime in the future if the box was short. Once employees get hooked on snacks it can be more trouble to the manager to have the box removed than it is to pay for their theft.

i agree and i told him on PM before you should talk to the manager the first time it comes up short, when you leave your "shortage control card" on the box. If the people there arent responding to the card , most likely the theft will continue. This is my experience. I have found the cards (shame) works best to control theft. I have experimented with different wordings and found one that works best for me.

I do not allow managers or owners to pay me for theft. I have been offered that a few times and i always turn it down. I have had an entire box stolen the owner offered to pay me and I turned it down. The reason is when I place the box I give them a written guarantee it will never cost the business any money. I feel it would be a violation of this policy to take the money and it would strain the relationship with the manager and be more likely to get a kick out. This is of course my own opinion and everyone should conduct their business however they feel is the best for them.

Archived