13 silver quarters from one location!

jayhawk22

Are there any dollar coins that are worth more than a dollar? I was paid in dollar coins for something this morning--not kidding. I'm holding off on depositing those until I hear back from our resident coin experts.

I haven't paid attention to this thread until just recently. I figured it was too much of a bother to try to go through all my quarters to find the needle in a haystack. Even the suggestion of looking at the edges of a roll of quarters seemed too much work, because my coin tube is not clear plastic, so I can't easily look at the edges.

But I was talking to my brother the other day, and he told me of his new hobby. He will go to the bank and buy hundreds of dollars of rolled Kennedy 50c coins. Then he will go through them all and pull out the pre-1965 and sell them for $9 each. The 1965-1970 coins and sell for $3.50 each.

But I think its time for me to start looking.

But looking at the links in this thread, I can see why I might sometimes have discrepancies when weighing my quarters. A silver quarter is 6.25 grams. A newer quarter is 5.64 grams.

As side note, I looked at the base metal calculator to check out the value of pennies. It turns out that a 50c roll of pennies has a melt value of $1.22, which is almost 2.5 more than the face value of the coin itself. It might be worth it to just hold on to pennies and sell them for melt value, rather than roll them and deposit them.

I have folks buying roll Copper Pennies from me for $37.00 a $25 box. Congrats on finding that many Silver Quarters, OP.

I have folks buying roll Copper Pennies from me for $37.00 a $25 box. Congrats on finding that many Silver Quarters, OP.

So why wouldn't you be cleaning out the banks everyday for rolled pennies?

So why wouldn't you be cleaning out the banks everyday for rolled pennies?

Rolled pennies contain both copper and "other" pennies. Basically, half-way through 1982 pennies switched from being 95% copper to much less valuable materials. In order to find only copper pennies, you must either go through them by hand to check the dates (since it is difficult to tell just by looking at pennies which are copper and which are not) or buy a sorting machine that will sort the coins based on metallic composition. Generally, it's not worth the hassle for the small amount of gain you get with pennies. I do, however, hold on to any pennies from 1982 and earlier that I get in my change and roll them when I get time.

If you are interested in melt-value of coins, though, last time I checked all nickels were worth more in melt than face value, so keeping nickels might not be a bad idea.

Note: As far as I understand, it is illegal to melt pennies and nickels to sell the metal. You will find people who will hold onto the coins for a "rainy day" based on their melt-values, but I wouldn't start smelting them if I were you. Not worth the money or the risk, if you ask me.

With nickels, one does not need to sort through the rolls acquired at the bank. Almost every nickel contains 75% copper. With price inflation heating up due to massive money printing, nickels and pennies are a long-term play. Check this out:http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2011/11/man-who-bought-one-million-dollars.html

What makes this long-term play interesting is that it is simultaneously a price inflation and price deflation hedge! Essentially, it's a win win situation.

Wow! I didn't know about that! Fascinating stuff Vendelicious! Thanks!

Archived