Returning from a depolyment and looking to start a vending route in Arizona

USMC

Hi I am new to the vending world but I have been doing a lot of research various types of vending over the last few years while being deployed. About 10 months a go I had thought that I knew exactly what type of vending I wanted to do, "Ice Vending" from Kooler Ice here is the machine I was going to use Kooler Ice IM 1000 . However after having my wife try to find a location for the machine (which is about the size of a snack machine) over the last 4 months with no luck, I will be home on December 1st and give it a shot myself for a while. We had planed on placing two of them but at $40,000 a piece I started to think could my money be used in a better way with other types of vending machines. Ideally my goal to build a large vending route and make it my primary source of income. I really do not want to waste the money I earned while being deployed away from my wife and kids.

I have also tried using a locator for the last two months, which has been a utter waste of money. But I felt like I had to try something, because my wife and I started to have a few minor issues over this business. She was relived that the responsibility was no longer on her and our relationship has gotten better. So I consider it money well spent. So if anyone has Ideas on finding a location for an Ice Vending machine that would be helpful as well.

So here are a few other options I have thrown around.

Soda vending machines

If I were to do this I would want to buy my own machines, so I would have the option of putting products from different manufactures in the same machine.

and

Bulk Candy Vending

I am really open to any option out there. I would be a great help to me if anyone on this forum would put their two cents out there and share their wisdom.

When I get home in December if anyone that lives in the Mesa, Phx, Arizona area would care to maybe become sort of mentor in vending or just wants to meet and discuss ideas, Please shoot me a line.

First and foremost THANK YOU for serving. Second welcome to the best vending forum on the web. A little piece of advise read, read, and read somemore.

Thank you for the response. I feel like reading is all I have been doing, however I will continue. Knowledge is power.

Thank you for your service. God Bless you and your family. Yes, read read read. Please tell me you didn't pay 40K for one of those machines. There are many ways to make it in vending but starting out by purchasing 40K machines is not one of them.

One of the things I would worry about is that you live in Arizona. The heat will surely melt anything chocolate or peanut butter or soft candies. Have you thought about toy capsules and bouncy balls?

Thank you for your service. God Bless you and your family. Yes, read read read. Please tell me you didn't pay 40K for one of those machines. There are many ways to make it in vending but starting out by purchasing 40K machines is not one of them.

One of the things I would worry about is that you live in Arizona. The heat will surely melt anything chocolate or peanut butter or soft candies. Have you thought about toy capsules and bouncy balls?

No, I have not paid for a machine yet. That is what I am trying to figure out, exactly where would my money be best spent. There are so many options on what to vend I am really trying to figure out which is ideal for my area.

I thought about the heat and the affect it would have on the candy in the machines and figure that it would just really limit placement of the machine. ( indoors not by a window)

I have not really thought about toy capsules and bouncy balls, I guess I need to do some research on those items. Have you or anyone you know had success with either of these?

Thank you for the reply

I'm with hillbilly on this one. Candy sales are on the decline so I wouldn't go that way. Toy and gum racks are a good option. Also if you were willing to do plush cranes that would help boost your ability for great locations. The vending managment companies are all was looking for more crane guys. And thank you for your service to our country.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I'm with hillbilly on this one. Candy sales are on the decline so I wouldn't go that way. Toy and gum racks are a good option. Also if you were willing to do plush cranes that would help boost your ability for great locations. The vending managment companies are all was looking for more crane guys. And thank you for your service to our country.

Thanks for the info on the candy vending I will keep it on the back burner for now and investigate other options.

I know less than nothing about plush cranes and management companies. I will do some research on them.

Can someone give me a quick run down on what a management company does for you and if there are any good ones in Arizona?

Welcome and thanks. You will typically find mgmt companies involved with regional or national chains for both full and bulk. They secure the rights to provide service and subcontract to operators. They collect commissions, make sure everyone has insurance etc. In exchange they keep a portion of the commissions.

Welcome and thanks. You will typically find mgmt companies involved with regional or national chains for both full and bulk. They secure the rights to provide service and subcontract to operators. They collect commissions, make sure everyone has insurance etc. In exchange they keep a portion of the commissions.

It seems like a management company might be a good option for someone that is looking to for a part-time gig, It does not sound like it would be possible to make a full time income with this option.

I assume the mgmt co would be taking at least 25% if not more. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for you input

It seems like a management company might be a good option for someone that is looking to for a part-time gig, It does not sound like it would be possible to make a full time income with this option.

I assume the mgmt co would be taking at least 25% if not more. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for you input

Let me help you a little. When the managment company lines up the deal the get the best rate for you that they can. Some times its 30% to 40% and that's all you pay. You pay it to the management company they take a cut from it and pass it along to the stores. I use two of them and works well. And you can make a good living

Let me help you a little. When the managment company lines up the deal the get the best rate for you that they can. Some times its 30% to 40% and that's all you pay. You pay it to the management company they take a cut from it and pass it along to the stores. I use two of them and works well. And you can make a good living

Ok that makes a lot more sense. It may not be a bad way to help me learn the business, while I try and place my own machines.

I have read a lot of you post on this site and you seem to be a wealth of knowledge when it comes to vending.

Thank you for your time, advice is always welcome.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. It may not be a bad way to help me learn the business, while I try and place my own machines.

I have read a lot of you post on this site and you seem to be a wealth of knowledge when it comes to vending.

On the full line side I try to stay away from management companies. There are several reasons why: They can be difficult to deal with (equipment requirements), they usually reserve the right to force you out with 30 days notice (even if you are performing), the renewal of the contract is not only dependent on you and the mgmt company but also everyone else they do business with (do you want your revenues to depend on what someone else does or does not do in another state?).

That said, getting in with one is an easy way to pick up a few accounts and grow your business. I have done business with a number of them over the years and still currently do business with one. Just don't rely on it as a significant portion of your revenue.

No problem I have done this along time. If you have any questions let me know.

On the full line side I try to stay away from management companies. There are several reasons why: They can be difficult to deal with (equipment requirements), they usually reserve the right to force you out with 30 days notice (even if you are performing), the renewal of the contract is not only dependent on you and the mgmt company but also everyone else they do business with (do you want your revenues to depend on what someone else does or does not do in another state?).

That said, getting in with one is an easy way to pick up a few accounts and grow your business. I have done business with a number of them over the years and still currently do business with one. Just don't rely on it as a significant portion of your revenue.

I don't really want my revenue dependent on what goes on it another state, but I do agree that this may be a good way to get my feet wet and learn how everything works.

If I want to search out Mgmt Co what terms would I use in a google search? I tried soda vending Management companies in Arizona. The results mainly dealt with property managers.

Thank you for your time

No problem I have done this along time. If you have any questions let me know.

I can not believe how great this site is.

Thanks

USMC, thank you for protecting us!! You are already getting alot of good advice, please don't pay $40,000.00 for one machine, thats like throwing all your eggs in one basket. Read, read and read some more we have a bunch of successful and knowledgable vendors here, please take advantage of it. Oh yea, welcome to the Vendiscuss family!

Well after reading all the great info here and having a lot of people thinking I would be crazy to pay that for that machine, this is one purchase I will put off.

Thank you all

Archived