Real time reviews of locators

kandyking

Well I place the machine that LRU got me (a Chinese Restuarant - close to me) and it was good the owner had me put it in a real good spot so far I'm happy. Just waiting for the quarters to start rolling in. ;D

LRU has given me 2 more very promising spots (Sub shop and cafe) that will be placed tomorrow. At less than $30 a pop for quality locations, you really can't go wrong.

Rising Star has resurfaced with 2 promising locations of their own (Pizza Place and Restaurant). The difference between these two locators is that in the time it took Rising Star to give me 3 locations, LRU has given me 22.

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks the start of Round #2

Locators R Us - 10 Machines ordered

First Choice - 5 Machines ordered

Eddie Bauer - Still 1 outstanding from round 1

Kickstart - 3 replacements still outstanding (weeks now) from round 1

Rising Star - 4 Machines outstanding from round 1

I would like to add some fresh blood into round #2 so if anyone has a locator they have used before that they have some confidence in, please let me know and I will add them to the mix

Today marks the start of Round #2

I'm so happy to have found this thread! I wish I'd been following the action from the beginning. Then, perhaps, I could have avoided a very disappointing experience with Kickstart Locators.

Being new to the vending business and also working full-time, I hired a locator to facilitate placing my machines after making a major investment (in 40 bulk vending machines).

KickStart got my business due to a recommendation from my salesperson -- and also, it was mentioned in a popular book about how to start a vending business... I assumed that it must be reputable.

Rob was very quick to return my phone calls, but starting with the very first location he emailed me -- a hotel -- the manager was completely unaware that a vending machine was coming. He told us that the hotel's corporate policy did not allow my type of vending machine... I hired a locator to clear these types of hurdles before taking several hours out of my day, and lugging a machine into an establishment.

I wrote to Rob about this experience, and he followed up with the "hey partner" stuff. This was quickly followed by three very unsuitable locations. First, an owner (of a small ethnic market) actually yelled "No!" while frantically gesturing for me to get out of his bodega. The machine was NOT what he was expecting at all. Another small ethnic grocery store had absolutely no floor space available, and although the owners were nice... They didn't know what they were getting. The third location was a one-man hair salon -- he worked very limited hours, and already gave away free Halloween-sized candy to his customers -- in a glass canister on his countertop with a sign "please take some," which he told us, had been there for 27 years. He begrudgingly accepted the machine, but then asked me to remove it at the first service call... I made $2.25 total out of that 3 location ordeal.

My question is: what are Rob and "his team" telling these potential locations?

A week after expressing my displeasure to Rob, and being assured that KickStart would "describe the machine," I was given one more location: an extremely small, very expensive Tapas Wine Bar -- with 4pm-9pm hours. This location was, again, not expecting a vending machine. The owner said he felt badly because he'd agreed to support our charity partner; however, he thought he was agreeing to "something small that could sit on the bar, unobtrusively." He had, literally, NO floor-space or employee break-room.

I received a refund from KickStart just today; however, I feel like KickStart wasted two months of my earning potential. More importantly, I felt a lot of stress, discouragement, and embarrassment from the experience... I felt at wits end as to how to proceed.

I read this thread, and it makes me feel much better. I had actually considered First Choice; however, my salesman's recommendation coupled with Rob's extremely prompt returning of phone calls made me feel like he was a go-getter, and a real professional... It's comforting to know that there are some locators out there that perform their job in a satisfactory way.

I'll be checking this thread daily!!! I feel like this is an invaluable service to those wanting to be a part of an industry that (apparently) isn't quality controlled -- but has a lot of potential.

If any seasoned vendor has any other advice -- I've tried to place my own machines and am batting 0/33 in the few days off I've had this week -- I would love feedback!!

P.S. To give KickStart the credit it's due, it did get me one location in a very small tattoo studio, but I believe that was random luck.

Edited by JuJuVending

Round #2 - Day 1

Locators R Us - I gave them an order on June 8 (17 days ago) and have only gotten 4 locations out of the 10 ordered thus far. I did, however, receive an email alerting me to many of the locators being out due to illness so I hope the rebound to the LRU of Round #1

I also asked LRU to locate a rack for me today . . . I will let you know how it goes and what they charge.

First Choice - First Choice was given an order of 5 machines on Friday 6/22 (3 days ago) and I was told they would start working today. They were the top competitors of LRU from Round #1 and may have a chance to take top billing with LRU's slow start

Rising Star - They are still working on their order of 5 from Round #1 way more than a month ago. They have only given me one placement thus far but, to be fair, locations have rejected a few and I have rejected a few others but so far only 1 of 5 has worked.

Kickstart - After 2 months of minimal results, Rob refunded me for the locations not placed. I have since requested numerous times for replacements for some locations (about a month now) and still no replacements. This is really speaking volumes about their customer service. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse for Kickstart, they seemingly refuse to honor their replacement agreement.

Eddie Bauer - They still owe me one location from Round #1 and have submitted a few options but all have been unacceptable due to low traffic and few employees.

If anyone has any locators for me to add to Round #2, please let me know

• Like 1

Round #2 - Day 1

Locators R Us - I gave them an order on June 8 (17 days ago) and have only gotten 4 locations out of the 10 ordered thus far. I did, however, receive an email alerting me to many of the locators being out due to illness so I hope the rebound to the LRU of Round #1

I also asked LRU to locate a rack for me today . . . I will let you know how it goes and what they charge.

First Choice - First Choice was given an order of 5 machines on Friday 6/22 (3 days ago) and I was told they would start working today. They were the top competitors of LRU from Round #1 and may have a chance to take top billing with LRU's slow start

Rising Star - They are still working on their order of 5 from Round #1 way more than a month ago. They have only given me one placement thus far but, to be fair, locations have rejected a few and I have rejected a few others but so far only 1 of 5 has worked.

Kickstart - After 2 months of minimal results, Rob refunded me for the locations not placed. I have since requested numerous times for replacements for some locations (about a month now) and still no replacements. This is really speaking volumes about their customer service. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse for Kickstart, they seemingly refuse to honor their replacement agreement.

Eddie Bauer - They still owe me one location from Round #1 and have submitted a few options but all have been unacceptable due to low traffic and few employees.

Beanstalk locators http://www.businessbeanstalk.com/, asking 65 per location ordered 40 to get discount to 50 per location paid 50% deposit on may 25th for them to start on may 30th they gave me a list of over 450 locations to approve for cold calling. i declined to go over the list as that is there job. They stated that if you dont go over the list and state which location you do not want the you are not allowed to decline them in the future (Attached is the lead list for your approval before we start

calling and getting locations for you.The reason we send out lists for

pre-approval is because we don't accept rejection reason such as "it's a

bad part of town,I don't want to go there" or "I had a machine there

before,I don't want to put one there anymore,or "there's no parking in

that area so I don't want that location" or "I don't want to go there

because there's lots of young men hanging around there and I'm scared,etc.

Please email me back and tell me which Business Name or Row # to remove,so

I can remove it.

Also,tell me if you have any more business in mind you'd like to get into

so I can add it into the list.)

They said 5-7 business days would be the earliest and 7-10 average and 15 business days the max on locating the first 20 locations. The location were low traffic poor location and some were locations that were turned down in the past from other locators. They claimed high quality fast service. I'll admit they were quick but horrible locations. The communication via phone was almost nonexistent once locations were being refused. We requested a refund on 6/13 it hit the account on 6-20 and was only 900 not the 1,000 that we paid even though they promised a full refund. We have since initiated a charge back via the cc company. They did email back, we called to see why the refund was partial we got a sorry the mgr is in a meeting or just a vm all together. Long story short, fast but poor quality and over priced.

Round #2 - Day 1

I asked LRU if they would be willing to locate that hoops-style machine I got about a week ago. They declined, stating they were sticking with candy machines. I do think it's odd they will find spots for those Dentyne Ice machines, but not other vending mainstays. However, I won't complain, their service for me has been excellent so far. Good luck with round 2 King!

After reading so many Locating service threads, it still amazes me that " howdy partner" Rob still gets business. Even more amazing to me is Rob has to know about this forum and has to have read all the bad mouthing people have done. You would think he would change tactics by now. Anyway, I really enjoy reading this 4 way race thread! When not if, I start using a locater this thread will come in handy.

• Like 1

Rob has to know about this forum and has to have read all the bad mouthing people have done.

Know about this forum? He's a Charter member of this forum. He used to be quite active here but he stopped coming around. His username is candyman007.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

After my disappointing and stressful experience with Rob and KickStart, I've decided to emulate the KandyKing and start my own little competition.

The two contestants are LRU (Gale) and First Choice (Sonya.) Gale called on Monday to get some more information, said she would call back yesterday, but did not. (Hopefully, I'll hear today.) Sonya will start working on my account today.

I'll let you know how it goes when I start getting location!!

Is it possible that kick start and Vend-trak are tied in together ? Seems like they have a thing for one another's company. Just thinking out loud.

Vend-Trak is a tab on KickStart's website; however, in my (recent) experience, it's "no longer available."

Is it possible that kick start and Vend-trak are tied in together ? Seems like they have a thing for one another's company. Just thinking out loud.

You are correct!

There is a long story behind this. Most of which I prefer not to get into but I will give you a brief history.

When TVF first started, Jeremy (founder of Vend-Trak) approached me and offered me a 50/50 split for every subscription I sold to members. He allowed me to set my own pricing. I believe at the time he was charging $149 for the service. I chose to offer it to my members for only $49/yr. This gave my members a substantial discount over buying direct plus gave me a $25 cut from every sale. Win/Win/Win since Jeremy was happy with the sales volume I was producing.

Then...

Our friend Rob, with his "love of money", approached Jeremy and convinced him that he could be making much more if they partnered up. So Rob became a part owner of Vend-Trak, spent a ton of cash redeveloping the site and increased the fees astronomically.

He approached me and told me I could still offer it to my members but it would have to be on the new pricing plan. I didn't feel the product was worth the amount he wanted to charge and I told him that. I wanted no part of it.

He then wanted to purchase the email list for all TVF members so he could solicit them. I told him no. He then convinced me to send out mass emails to everyone on his behalf and promised me exclusivity on the relaunch of the software and a 50% cut on all sales derived.

I sent out the emails only to find out that the offer was not exclusive to TVF. In fact, every vending supplier and reseller sent the same emails out. I voiced my displeasure at the whole deal.

Since then, Rob doesn't visit the site or speak to me anymore.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Well, well I had a hunch for awhile, just seem like Rob is not interested in locating a whole lot any more and when he does it's with what ever location he can get the fastest as to collect the cash with a "thanks partner " really not trying to cause trouble was just asking.

• Like 1

Well Rob has his hands in a lot of projects. In addition to his locating and vend-trak, I also found out that he is working on some sort of ipad app for hair salons. :wacko: plus other things.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Rob seems to have "KickStart Locating Service" pop-up from a lot of different sites -- but once he gets the business that he's able to draw via those "connections," he's not delivering the product that he promises.

His company is not a member of the Better Business Bureau at this time.

Edited by JuJuVending

You can't blame Rob for wanting to diversify and expand into different sectors of the business. That being said, he should not bite off more than he can chew. His base business (locating) has suffered a huge dip in quality because he has lost focus on his bread and butter business in an effort to expand. It is a pity because, if you read back in the forums, he was very good at one time. Right now he is over priced, he under delivers and does not live up to his obligations. I hope he bounces back but as of right now, there are at least 3 better options to use as a locator.

It is a pity because, if you read back in the forums, he was very good at one time. Right now he is over priced, he under delivers and does not live up to his obligations.

You must have read faaar back to get CONSISTENT positive feedback on KSL.

My experience with him TWO YEARS AGO helped me form the same opinion of KSL as you have now...and I was not alone in those opinions two years ago.

• Like 1

If Rob received payment by location instead of asking for full payment for all locations up front, (as he did in my case,) IMO he could help rebuild his reputation.

If Rob asked me to pay by location, I would have gladly paid for the one location he got me after he secured it.

Edited by JuJuVending

Round #2 - Day 3

Locators R Us - I have had 4 of my initial 20 order in Round 1 turned in for replacement due to poor performance. 20% for poor performance is a very low average compared to many others and LRU readily agreed to replace the locations.

First Choice - First Choice was given an order of 5 machines on Friday 6/22 (5 days ago) and they started working 3 days ago. So far they have yielded no results but I just purchased a route with 3 locations in a mall and need to fill out that area. They have been very successful in getting my machines into the breakrooms of large companies in malls so I think my new needs play right into their niche.

Rising Star - Still no results from Rising Star despite an email requesting a status report sent yesterday. They are still working on their order of 5 from Round #1 way more than a month ago. They have only given me one placement thus far but, to be fair, locations have rejected a few and I have rejected a few others but so far only 1 of 5 has worked.

Kickstart - After I just made a request for 2 more replacements and got an email today (almost a month after my first request for a replacement) asking me for more zip codes. I am glad to see they are FINALLY going to stand behind their warranty and replace my numerous bad locations.

Eddie Bauer - Have finally given me the last location from my Round #1 order from more than a month ago. They were very slow to get me 6 mediocre locations and will no longer be included in the competition now that the initial order has finally been fulfilled.

PLEASE FOLKS, IF YOU HAVE USED ANY LOCATORS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THIS COMPETITION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. WE ARE RUNNING LOW ON COMPETITORS AND I HAVE AN OBSCENE AMOUNT OF MACHINES TO BE PLACED!