Real time reviews of locators

kandyking

Round #2 - Day 3

Locators R Us - I have had 4 of my initial 20 order in Round 1 turned in for replacement due to poor performance. 20% for poor performance is a very low average compared to many others and LRU readily agreed to replace the locations.

kandyking Im curious how long you leave a machine on location before you consider it a dud and ask for a replacement?

If the warranty on the location is 60 days, I usually make my assessment on day 59. If the warranty is 90 days, I make it on day #89.

I wait for zero hour before pulling the plug on a potential location and try a candy switch in between if the location does poorly after month #1.

Day 1 of my locating experience:

* First Choice: 3 locations on the first day from Sonya at First Choice (!!) Including a 40 person, 24-hour employee break-room at a large department store! Other locations: at a chain store in a local mall, and a Mexican Restaurant/Bar.

* Locators R' Us: I had a GREAT talk with Gale at LRU when I placed the order, (Monday). I have yet to hear back from LRU; however, I heard (possibly on here) that a few employees are on vacation. I'm expecting good things, as Gale did seem very willing to tailor her approach to put my machines in the places where we think they could best flourish.

*** KickStart refunded my money last week -- and right now I feel overjoyed that Sonya, when given the exact same ZIP Code as I gave Rob, was able to get three placements in 1 day as opposed to 1 placement meant in 6-7 weeks.

Edited by JuJuVending

Day 1 of my locating experience:

* First Choice: 3 locations on the first day from Sonya at First Choice (!!) Including a 40 person, 24-hour employee break-room at a large department store! Other locations: at a chain store in a local mall, and a Mexican Restaurant/Bar.

* Locators R' Us: I had a GREAT talk with Gale at LRU when I placed the order, (Monday). I have yet to hear back from LRU; however, I heard (possibly on here) that a few employees are on vacation. I'm expecting good things, as Gale did seem very willing to tailor her approach to put my machines in the places where we think they could best flourish.

*** KickStart refunded my money last week -- and right now I feel overjoyed that Sonya, when given the exact same ZIP Code as I gave Rob, was able to get three placements in 1 day as opposed to 1 placement meant in 6-7 weeks.

This is exactly what I hoped this thread would become. Up to the minute accountability for locators so the best can be rewarded and the worst can be avoided.

• Like 1

The beauty of it is that it also makes it better for them. The locators that work hard will have us sing their praises in real time and thus garner more business from the people on this forum. For those locators that have 'jumped the shark', we will be alerted in real time and can avoid using them. It holds accountable and rewards locators in real time.

Everyone please post any experience you have had with a locator on the day it happens so we are all able to make informed decisions that drastically affect our business. I would have never used Kickstart had I been this aware of how terribly they have done. Conversely, this thread has watched the fall and redemption of Locators R Us and charted their rise to the top of the locator business.

Kandyking, THANK YOU SO MUCH for starting and keeping up this thread. :) It allowed me to make an informed second choice of locating service, rather than just pick another locator blindly and just hope for the best.

Finding locations (especially high-quality locations) is, in my (albeit brief) experience in vending, the most time-consuming -- and IMO, the most important element to initial success in this business.

I'll continue post everyday, (provided that I'm able to be by a computer everyday,) about this locating experience.

Again, THANK YOU so much, KandyKing -- and thank you ALL for your honest feedback.

Edited by JuJuVending
  • Like 1

I am sorry for the lag time in between posts, but I must say -- it's great to FINALLY be busily locating vending machines!!!

After my disappointing experience with Rob Patterson's "KickStart Locating Service," I placed two small orders with KandyKing's champions: LRU and First Choice Locators -- to discern who would get the remainder of my business. (I work full-time and still have 36, largish 4-head machines sitting around..! Plus, 6 ginormous 8-head machines..! Size does matter -- but like some of the other ladies here may concur, and to paraphrase the Notorious B.I.G. -- 'mo size, 'mo problems. :)

In the race for my business: Sonya's First Choice, Gale's Locators R' Us, and the disappointing, now discarded KickStart Locating Service by Rob Patterson -- the later of which constituted my very recent, first "locating experience" -- and nearly prompted me to get out of the vending business.

Luckily, as KandyKing has brought to all of out attention: there ARE legitimate, above board locating services for vendors. Here are my results thus far:

1. of 3:) First Choice Locators: Sonya placed 2 of my 4 machine F.C. order in 50+ employee break-rooms -- EXCELLENT locations at clothing stores in busy malls!! She placed another of my machines in a popular, local Mexican cantina/bar. I'm very happy with this location too. :)

Thus far, the only difficulty I've encountered with First Choice involved the placing of yet another machine in what was seemingly a great, mall location. This one involved a young women's (chain) clothing store. Although I'd received confirmation of the placement from First Choice, which relayed two separate contacts at the store who would (supposedly) welcome the machine -- when I arrived at the store, one of these contacts had "no idea about no vendin' machine," although she said it nicely -- and told me to bring in the machine for placement.

This mis-adventure occurred on the hottest day in the Northeast thus far in '12, at the Northeast's 2nd largest mall north of New York City.

At 10am, the mall was already packed to the gills! After speaking with the "location's" store manager, I trudged across 0.5 miles of asphalt parking lot -- and this was not in "a dry heat.") Regardless, I felt thrilled that Sonya had seemingly come though big-time AGAIN!! I removed the candy machine, product-full, from my car -- and then lugged it back 0.5 miles back to the closest mall entrance (the store had no "outdoor access.") Then it was a significant trek and two-escaltor ride down to this particular store. I "felt the burn" after carrying this machine for so long -- but the pay-off would be worth it!

Unfortunately, the pay-off never came. When I entered the store, the manager -- one of my contacts -- was just hanging up the phone. She smiled politely and explained that she'd just spoken to the other store manager -- the other contact recommended by First Choice -- and that the store could not accept a vending machine. It would have to go through the "District Manager" first. I assumed that Sonya HAD spoken to the district manager, as neither of these two managers seemed to "know 'bout any o' this vending machine stuff." I felt dishearten, lugged the machine back, and then reported this to Sonya. I'm interested to hear back from her. I'm hoping I still get the location!

2. of 3) Locators R' Us: last week, I contacted Gale (LRU) about locating a machine for me. We had a great & highly detailed talk. Gale seemed to understand exactly what I wanted to achieve as far as locating my machines.

Regardless, it's been 1 week and I have not yet heard back from Gale or anyone at LRU. I plan to call her tomorrow -- but I'm wondering if any of you have any idea as to what might be going on over there in the Philippines?

3. of 3) KickStart Locating Service... This "partnership" did not work out for me, as I've detailed in several posts. (Rob only located 1 of my 16 machine order, and that was in a Tattoo Parlor smaller than the average Dunkin' Donuts.) I feel like this bears repeating if my story can save anyone the embarrassment/stress that I felt, although from now on, I'll only write about that experience if applicable.

Edited by JuJuVending

I got a call from Gale yesterday explaining that she had a family emergency last week but now that she was back, the flood gates should re-open. Well, re-open they did! Within 20 mins of her call to me, I got 5 locations (all restaurants and bakeries) from LRU!

Everyone who has a small business realizes the trials and tribulations of running it when family emergencies arise in life. I think Gale and the LRU team has come through with flying colors and for those of you who gave them an order based on my recommendation, I still stand by it. Give them a week and behold what takes place.

FYI, The King will be taking the rest of the week off for the 4th of July and consequently put LRU and First Choice on hold for the rest of the week.

• Like 1

I open my email first this morning, and lo and behold: it's a GREAT location from Gale at LRU!!! It's a large auto (break, oil, and repair) shop!!! I couldn't be happier with this placement!!

Absolutely, I understand family emergencies -- and I'm just very happy she's back!!

Thank you, Gale, LRU, KandyKing -- this is great!!!

P.S. No word yet from Sonya today -- I have one (re)placement left with First Choice, before I re-order with either LRU or First Choice.

I got a call from Gale yesterday too explaining why she had been unable to respond last week. I'm glad she's back and am looking forward to some locations when I get back from vacation on the 8th.

I'm hoping for some kandyking magic from LRU as well.

Happy 4th fellow gumballers!!!

I will be placing another order with First Choice (Sonya) tonight, as she located all 4 of my machines in less than 10 days. In 11 days, LRU provided me with one location; however, as you'll read below, that location's district manager rejected the machine. LRU has not yet provided a replacement.

1.) First Choice Locators -- 4/4 machines placed in 10 days

Another excellent day for Sonya!!!

We placed a machine in the break room of an upscale department store (15-20 employees,) where the manager was expecting us -- and seemed very enthused about the machine, and the availability of different products. (She did ask us to switch out gum for a different product, as her employees are not allowed to chew gum on the job.)

We returned later to replace the gum ball canister with peanuts (per request,) and found that there was already $1.50 in the machine. It had only been there 4 hours.

2.) Locators R' Us -- 0/1 machines placed in 11 days

I hired LRU to place one machine on June 24, 2012. It is not July 5, 2012 -- and although I received a location on the third, it was rejected by the Muffler & Brake shop's district manager.

Gayle sent me an email stating that LRU wouldn't be working on July 4th because it's a US holiday -- in my area, most stores are open on July 4th -- regardless, Gayle wrote that she would find me a replacement on the 5th. I did not receive any word from LRU today.

I'll let you all know how this works out!! I still have my fingers crossed for LRU!

Edited by JuJuVending

1.) First Choice - 4/4 - Today, I ordered 4 more locations from Sonya at First Choice, which will bring her total up to 8. The degree of difficulty for her will be a few notches higher this time around, because I asked her to try to place (if possible) 2 UTurn Terminators... Currently, all 4 of Sonya's locations are doing over $1/day business. (Yay!)

2.) Locators 'R Us - 1/1 - I'm waiting on re-ordering from LRU because I'm not sure that the placement, which we made two days ago, will stick. If it does stick, I believe that it could be a very good placement -- at a popular, local Chinese restaurant -- and frankly, I will re-order because I really like LRU's/Gayle's attitude.. I'm pleased with LRU's service too, which I'll write about below; however, the placement itself was awkward... Not KickStart "get out!" awkward, mind you, but...

My son and I showed up at the location with the machine. We waited several minutes to see the owner, who upon hearing that we were delivering a snack machine, seemed confused (annoyed?) and then, for a few minutes, agonized over whether to accept the machine. My son and I expected that LRU had "closed the deal" with him, so to speak - and for all I know, they did, and this owner was just having a bad day/few minutes. Regardless, the owner's indecision made the situation feel more like an awkward, in-person cold-call than a drop-off where the owner was expecting us. Ultimately, he said he'd "have to ask [his] wife about it," but that in the meantime, we could place the machine.

To LRU's GREAT CREDIT, after I wrote about this situation to Gayle, I received prompt (next day) email response from both Gayle and her co-worker, Megan, who had "closed the deal" with this owner. Megan felt assured that the owner knew what he was getting, and told her he'd "give it a shot." There's a little nuance between "give it a shot" and "yes" that I wish I'd known before I went to place the machine, but: GREAT service, great response -- this is the first time I've ever found out from a locator why a placement might not have gone as smoothly as planned -- and I really respect that.

I'll be re-ordering from LRU in several days if this placement sticks -- or, if it sticks and Megan finds a replacement, of course, I will pay for two... Go LRU!

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked with Gayle Yesterday and set up for 4 placements 2 doubles and 2 singles gumball. You need to go to the Info page because thiey had some phone issues and ended up changing there number.

I also got 3-4 triples to place. I plan on calling 1st choice next week and see what they can do with them.

I have lost contact with LRU as well. I have no outstanding placements, but I am unable to reach them through email. I haven't tried calling yet, but I'm not desperate for placements at the moment.

Hello,

I haven't receive any email from you. Email us at support@locatorsrus.biz phone number 954-671-5050.

Please be informed that I am responding to calls or emails from 10AM - 5:00PM EST, Mon-Fri only.

Thanks!

-Gale

Hello,

I haven't receive any email from you. Email us at support@locatorsrus.biz phone number 954-671-5050.

Please be informed that I am responding to calls or emails from 10AM - 5:00PM EST, Mon-Fri only.

Thanks!

-Gale

Thank you! I'll send it again and see if I can figure out why it didn't go through. Again, thanks!

Well First Choice Locators seems to be a close second in this thread, and I like that they don't require any money up front. It seems to me they will work harder that way, no money until they do something for you. I requested 5 locations with them today. I like locating my own machines most of the time. But I am going to give this a try. I bought 6 Northwestern doubles with stands (12 total heads) almost like new for $450. I have been buying brand new from Sam's, so this would have cost me well over $1000. I figure I will use the savings to try locators.

1. First Choice Locators -- 4/8 located -- I went away to a Vendors training during this past weekend; however, I've heard nothing from Sonya in two weeks.

2. Locators R' Us -- 1/2 located -- I have written to LRU, attempting to pay them b/c the placement that they scheduled for me worked out, but I have not heard from Gayle. I've wanted to order more placements from her.

3. KickStart Locators - 1/16 in 6 weeks - Out of competition for my business.

1. First Choice Locators - 4/8 located, with no activity for 3 weeks - I was contacted by First Choice (Sonya) yesterday and asked to supply more ZIP codes. Honestly, I feel disappointed in FC right now, because three weeks ago I placed an order with Sonya for 4 more machines, and supplied her with (among other ZIP codes) the ZIP code to one of the largest malls in the U.S. Also, I supplied her with a list of dozens of high-traffic manufacturing/industrial locations... I heard nothing back for three weeks -- until today -- when I received a terse email asking for more ZIP codes.

I very much want Sonya to pull through, as she easily located the first four machines that I ordered; however, this last order has seen no action in the three weeks since I placed it, despite giving Sonya many leads as to good places to call.

2. Locators R' Us -1/? - Locators R' Us sent me an invoice so that I can pay them for their work in securing me a local Chinese Restaurant. Initially, it seemed like

hope to place a new order with LRU as soon as I can get in touch with Gayle.

3. KickStart Locating - 1/16 - (((no longer in the running... Related story earlier in thread.)))

Edited by JuJuVending