How to open a 4" capsule

ToddWebb

I foresee this question coming to me from the public, winning 4" capsules in my crane machine.

The capsules have a large "coin slot" in them, where it seems perhaps a flathead screwdriver could be used to wedge the two halves apart. That's my guess.

Or do kids just set it on the ground and stomp?

Either way, are the capsules destroyed? Or is it possible to salvage the capsule with the screwdriver method?

Thank you board!

post-4409-0-43352200-1338564605_thumb.jpg

They are tough! Hold the cap in the palm of one hand with the seam across the palm. Give the cap a sharp smack with the "heal" of the palm of your other hand. They pop right open but the public will not get it and make a mess!!

did u test them yet? can u grab those with a medium claw? also where did you get those caps id like to get some if the medium claw

can grab them would be nice for leader items like watches without switching to a gravel crane which i HATE with a passion

can u grab those with a medium claw? also where did you get those caps

dogcow, I just returned from bro's house where I had my first real-world situation test. I dumped 120 of the 4" capsules in there, filled with my LEGO product. Mind you, I have no clue what size my claw is (and I'm home now, so can't check/measure). How do I know my claw size?

At first it seemed to work perfectly - too good actually. It grabbed the large ball precisely and it fit like a glove. I plucked up one after another after another. It was actually too easy. But then the problem - once I'd picked up all the easy ones off the top (I had very casually tossed them in, without any consideration of "wedging" them in), I was left with lower orbs that had settled into each other more snugly. Suddenly I wasn't winning anything. So I tinkered with the 3 dials and several dip switches endlessly. The dials are super sensitive. Confusing matters, I had set the dip switch to max strength ever 1 in 5 plays.

I see my one problem (or asset?) is that with all 4" capsules, as opposed to stuffed animals, there's no variety. They find their own way to settle in, and that's how it is. Everything too far left, right, against the back or up front, is simply out of reach. There's no "gray area" with the claw; there's no grabbing the arm, or ear, or anything. The space the remains, inside - say - a 4" border around all the sides, is a much smaller selection area. And once those in the middle are piled atop each other, with caps piling upwards and outwards, towards the edges, the chances of winning drop dramatically.

I suppose I need more testing. And I suppose I should plan to always load the machine as it will end up - with balls stacked towards the edges, and sunken in the middle. If I can get that difficulty setting correct, then that's the difficulty it will remain at, and I should have consistent difficulty, from fresh load to nearly empty machine.

dogcow, I just returned from bro's house where I had my first real-world situation test. I dumped 120 of the 4" capsules in there, filled with my LEGO product. Mind you, I have no clue what size my claw is (and I'm home now, so can't check/measure). How do I know my claw size?

At first it seemed to work perfectly - too good actually. It grabbed the large ball precisely and it fit like a glove. I plucked up one after another after another. It was actually too easy. But then the problem - once I'd picked up all the easy ones off the top (I had very casually tossed them in, without any consideration of "wedging" them in), I was left with lower orbs that had settled into each other more snugly. Suddenly I wasn't winning anything. So I tinkered with the 3 dials and several dip switches endlessly. The dials are super sensitive. Confusing matters, I had set the dip switch to max strength ever 1 in 5 plays.

I see my one problem (or asset?) is that with all 4" capsules, as opposed to stuffed animals, there's no variety. They find their own way to settle in, and that's how it is. Everything too far left, right, against the back or up front, is simply out of reach. There's no "gray area" with the claw; there's no grabbing the arm, or ear, or anything. The space the remains, inside - say - a 4" border around all the sides, is a much smaller selection area. And once those in the middle are piled atop each other, with caps piling upwards and outwards, towards the edges, the chances of winning drop dramatically.

I suppose I need more testing. And I suppose I should plan to always load the machine as it will end up - with balls stacked towards the edges, and sunken in the middle. If I can get that difficulty setting correct, then that's the difficulty it will remain at, and I should have consistent difficulty, from fresh load to nearly empty machine.

ok heres my advice...

first take a look at my post on gravel cranes in the amusements forum....the reason you cant get the ones at the bottom is you need to have them off the bottom of the crane with a soft stop so the claw bottoms out technically above the prize, so you should add some fish tank gravel in there . make sure you have a shop vac its a huge mess to get back out

second advice on the claw voltage...

more experienced operators may have beeter advice but heres how i set mine

the crane should have a test mode where u can see the voltage on the meter while setting it, if not just set ur auto percentage

very high like 1 in 100 plays for the testing period.

you have 2 voltages what i call grabbing power and holding power. the grabbing power is the power when it closes around the prize and the holding power is the power while its moving the prize to the chute. in some cranes you have a 3rd setting which is the raising power (power as the prize is being reeled up to the top of the game).

i set my grabbing power and raising power very high, so it almost always gets the prize if you are lining it up properly. now i set my holding power pretty low, not to zero but in such a way that it will usually drop the prize. does this mean the game is not won by skill? no

because i play the game extensively while setting it up, and i can win my own game 3/5 times, i can win on NEN's cranes which have very low win % and strength about the same amount of times. the reason is you learn to go after prizes that can bounce into the prize hole even if the strength is very low. you cant always win the prize you WANT, the trick to cranes is to go after prizes that are winnable

hope this makes sense. the auto percentaging should be set to whatever you feel is fair , in many states it is illegal to even use that

feature please consult applicable lawin your state and/or municipality or contact your state attorney generals office law library for an opinion.

edit--- i want to add the reason i set the grabbing power and raising power high is the "almost won" factor, if the crane goes down and wont even grab around a prize people say "oh its rigged" and walk away, if it almost makes it to the prize hole they are more likely to keep playing. this is my opinion anyway

oh send me a pic of your claw i can tell you what size it is probably my guess is medium claw but the pic u posted before was very small

dogcow,

Regarding your gravel, the clunky crane I bought last week came with "gravel" that was very light - like styrofoam bits. It, too, went everywhere. But it was brown, making it look more like natural sand. It once propped up stuffed animals, I suppose to save the owner from having a bunch of "bottom plush" going to waste?

In my previous reply is a photo from today, a Treasure Chest with my 4" LEGO balls. I also threw in a few big loose pieces (bright orange, and others). First, I set the dip-switch to "full power" (I think?) for 1 in 5 plays (I think?) - the most frequent setting. The Engrish manual was tough to understand. Then I only played with the GRAB and HOLD dials.

I am personally against auto-percentaging. From what I've read, if I understand it correctly, auto-percentaging literally removes any chance of winning (if a player walks up to the machine at the wrong time). Yes, I'm a businessperson. But still, I feel players should have a CHANCE to win.

I understand how you feel about GRAB and HOLD. However, in my case, all the products are identical in size and shape - perfect orbs. So if the claw picks up one, then inexplicably drops it, I think that's suspicious. Once my claw has a ball, then suddenly "lets go," why would anyone stick in another dollar? So in my testing today, I set the GRAB and HOLD very close to each other, like around 80% and 65%. If it lets go, it's pretty quick (or was already shaky). During testing, if I won too often, I tweaked them both down; if I didn't win enough, I tweaked them both up.

In my case, as I was playing, when the claw wouldn't even grab a ball, it seemed to be (and often was) simply because other balls were in the way. Because of their nature, the "type of blockage" for one item is identical to the blockage around every item. There's no variety (hence I threw in the random loose, large pieces).

Of course, this ONE photo I took was the wrong angle - so can't see the claw, nor the machine behind it. I will look again this weekend.

Thanks again dogcow, and everyone for the support.

dogcow,

Regarding your gravel, the clunky crane I bought last week came with "gravel" that was very light - like styrofoam bits. It, too, went everywhere. But it was brown, making it look more like natural sand. It once propped up stuffed animals, I suppose to save the owner from having a bunch of "bottom plush" going to waste?

you dont need gravel with plush because if its merchandised properly the crane will bottom out on the top of the plush

and grab it. if its just dumped in there the bottom plush may never be winnable.

In my previous reply is a photo from today, a Treasure Chest with my 4" LEGO balls. I also threw in a few big loose pieces (bright orange, and others). First, I set the dip-switch to "full power" (I think?) for 1 in 5 plays (I think?) - the most frequent setting. The Engrish manual was tough to understand. Then I only played with the GRAB and HOLD dials.

like i said u want to set it to the least frequent setting while configuring the claw

I am personally against auto-percentaging. From what I've read, if I understand it correctly, auto-percentaging literally removes any chance of winning (if a player walks up to the machine at the wrong time). Yes, I'm a businessperson. But still, I feel players should have a CHANCE to win.

it depends how u set it, if u set the claw strength very very low then yes, otherwise no. the auto percentaging just

maxes out the voltage whenever you hit the set number of plays. so every X plays the voltage maxes out. when you

are less than that number of plays it stays however u set it up. so you can and should set up the baseline voltage

in a way that a skilled player can win. like i said when i get a new kind of crane i give it a hundred plays or so

until i get the hang of the voltage settings. I can win 3/5 times whether the auto percent % is 30 in 100 or 1 in 100

mainly you can use autopercentage as a way to protect ur margins. f.ex you have a price for your product. you want

to sell a product at $2.00 (like in a vending machine) so you set the % to 25% that way you will get around $2 for

each item giving a fair chance of winning.

I understand how you feel about GRAB and HOLD. However, in my case, all the products are identical in size and shape - perfect orbs. So if the claw picks up one, then inexplicably drops it, I think that's suspicious. Once my claw has a ball, then suddenly "lets go," why would anyone stick in another dollar?

trust me,they do. also if the holding power is set lower you have a better chance of winning i run

mostly ball cranes so its the same situation,however if you pick a ball situated properly you can

get it to drop into the prize hole. it sort of bounces in, thats the best i can explain it. look on youtube

there is a guy who shows how to win at crane games it will give you an idea of how to practice the "skill" of it

that made ie a lot easier for me to understand how to set the voltages.

In my case, as I was playing, when the claw wouldn't even grab a ball, it seemed to be (and often was) simply because other balls were in the way. Because of their nature, the "type of blockage" for one item is identical to the blockage around every item. There's no variety (hence I threw in the random loose, large pieces).

hm thats weird, granted i run basketballs and knobby balls so maybe they arent as rigid but the basketballs

are pretty rigid and ive never seen this problem. its possible the claw size is too big you can tighten it up

with the mechanical adjustment (the rings on the claw)see if that helps.

from the pic looks like u might have a large size claw, if u want to trade i have a smaller

claw thats got rubber feet on it made for grabbing things a little better, let me know im

in the market for large claws .

like i said u want to set it to the least frequent setting while configuring the claw

Ahh. I just got that. I see what you mean. So I don't have every 5th "strong" play messing with my testing. Gotcha. Thank you again.

Archived