Zero of One Hundred

PerformaVending

Well, despite my best efforts, I've hit 100 locations in the last few weeks, and haven't landed any of them. The most popular response was "We have no space" and I can't seem to get beyond that point in those cases. The second most popular were either they just "didn't want machines" (and wouldn't extrapolate, let alone let me try a different approach) or they had their own, and didn't want me competing with their crummy Vendstars. I'm rather at a loss for all of this. I figured the odds at this point would have yielded me something by now. The 100 number includes phone locating attempts, and in person, using both commission and charity approaches, with a script I cooked up with some inspiration from Rdendy and Dogcow's notes from the locator section.

The best "NO!" I got from this batch was a manager at a bait shop. He explained he had been "tricked" into vending, and told me there was no money in it, and that I should get out of it quick before the "cheaters in those companies" get any more of my money. Despite my best efforts, he didn't want a placement, but insisted I should sell my machines "before it was too late!"

I always wondered what became of the biz-op guys after I buy their machines off of them...

I'm far from giving up on this matter- I'm hopeful that I might salvage a couple locations from the "wreckage" still, but time will tell on that. For the first time I'm honestly considering locators just to keep my deployment schedule from completely derailing.

Any thoughts on how I should go about the next 100 locations?

Any tips on dealing with locators? (I'm considering LRU to start with)

Thank you everyone for your help thus far- I just hope you guys are having better luck than I am!

Well, despite my best efforts, I've hit 100 locations in the last few weeks, and haven't landed any of them. The most popular response was "We have no space" and I can't seem to get beyond that point in those cases. The second most popular were either they just "didn't want machines" (and wouldn't extrapolate, let alone let me try a different approach) or they had their own, and didn't want me competing with their crummy Vendstars. I'm rather at a loss for all of this. I figured the odds at this point would have yielded me something by now. The 100 number includes phone locating attempts, and in person, using both commission and charity approaches, with a script I cooked up with some inspiration from Rdendy and Dogcow's notes from the locator section.

The best "NO!" I got from this batch was a manager at a bait shop. He explained he had been "tricked" into vending, and told me there was no money in it, and that I should get out of it quick before the "cheaters in those companies" get any more of my money. Despite my best efforts, he didn't want a placement, but insisted I should sell my machines "before it was too late!"

I always wondered what became of the biz-op guys after I buy their machines off of them...

I'm far from giving up on this matter- I'm hopeful that I might salvage a couple locations from the "wreckage" still, but time will tell on that. For the first time I'm honestly considering locators just to keep my deployment schedule from completely derailing.

Any thoughts on how I should go about the next 100 locations?

Any tips on dealing with locators? (I'm considering LRU to start with)

Thank you everyone for your help thus far- I just hope you guys are having better luck than I am!

dont have space, i hear this all the time, idk if you are offering a commission or what

but heres the way i approach it. every business has space theres just other crap

taking up the space. dont be afraid to move stuff around to make room for your equipment.

i explain it like this..you are paying $X per sq ft of floor space, so shouldnt every sq ft be

earning you money, if its possible? most business have dead spaces they fill with things like a chair

or a potted plant. those things do not earn the business money. if you have 4 chairs in your foyer

and you take one chair out the customers arent going to know this. you wont earn less money with 3 chairs

than 4 , the customers will never notice the missing chair, instead u can have something there thats

earning your business money. same thing with potted plants, free newspaper racks, and that sort of thing.

hope that makes sense

What kind of machine's are you trying to locate? Are they candy or toys... Are you pitching as a charity or comission ? I would go nuts if i went through 100 locations with no yes.. Are you taking in the machine, or a folder with picture & detail about your business ? Just trying to get a little more detail. Im having a little luck in locateing machine.. Have you roll-played with anyone to work out any kinks.. Idk about a locator.. Can get depressing using them.... I would go the route of offering cash... To the owner 50$ for 3 month trail.. 25$ for the candy locations.... Hope it gets better for you...

What kind of machine's are you trying to locate? Are they candy or toys... Are you pitching as a charity or comission ? I would go nuts if i went through 100 locations with no yes.. Are you taking in the machine, or a folder with picture & detail about your business ? Just trying to get a little more detail. Im having a little luck in locateing machine.. Have you roll-played with anyone to work out any kinks.. Idk about a locator.. Can get depressing using them.... I would go the route of offering cash... To the owner 50$ for 3 month trail.. 25$ for the candy locations.... Hope it gets better for you...

A little of all of those. I've got a candy triple, a five-way rack, and a toy double (in the gallery) that I'm having a hard time finding homes for. Originally I was pitching as commission, but now I have a local charity that's well known and respected, but that's yielded the same results thus-far. A few of the "most" promising spots I've pitched multiple times on numerous formats. When I locate in person, I always have a machine in the car. The double comes apart very easy, and so it's in my trunk until it finds a home. I have done a one-on-one a couple of times before, but the people I talk to don't throw curve balls like the businesses do. I'll definitely apply your suggestions- money talks, maybe I can "buy" myself some floor space. Thanks for the help Donovon!

dont have space, i hear this all the time, idk if you are offering a commission or what

but heres the way i approach it. every business has space theres just other crap

taking up the space. dont be afraid to move stuff around to make room for your equipment.

i explain it like this..you are paying $X per sq ft of floor space, so shouldnt every sq ft be

earning you money, if its possible? most business have dead spaces they fill with things like a chair

or a potted plant. those things do not earn the business money. if you have 4 chairs in your foyer

and you take one chair out the customers arent going to know this. you wont earn less money with 3 chairs

than 4 , the customers will never notice the missing chair, instead u can have something there thats

earning your business money. same thing with potted plants, free newspaper racks, and that sort of thing.

hope that makes sense

I agree with the logic, but I've only suggested this once and it was met with outright hostility. I think it's more of a "get out of here" phrase than anything. I have places that I could wheel a seven-way into that tell me they have no space. It's frustrating- it's like they "lock up" and won't even talk to me again- it's rather childish. Better than the guys who curse me out, but at least that's SOMETHING. Oh well, I'll land something in the next 100 for sure. If not, the next 100 after that! It's all about persistence I think. Thanks for the help DogCow, and for your exceptional script in the locator section- very well done.

I agree with the logic, but I've only suggested this once and it was met with outright hostility. I think it's more of a "get out of here" phrase than anything. I have places that I could wheel a seven-way into that tell me they have no space. It's frustrating- it's like they "lock up" and won't even talk to me again- it's rather childish. Better than the guys who curse me out, but at least that's SOMETHING. Oh well, I'll land something in the next 100 for sure. If not, the next 100 after that! It's all about persistence I think. Thanks for the help DogCow, and for your exceptional script in the locator section- very well done.

theres some ways to coax out of people what their objections are even if they are hesistant to tell you

some people automatically say no because its easier than saying yes. they dont even know why they are

saying no. so you can kind of sneakily ask them what their objections are without being pushy.if they say

they dont want machines, you can try something like "i respect that, you know i hear that a lot...im not

gonna twist your arm over it but it could sure help me improve my business to know why do people

object to having these things...if you dont mind me asking"..then they give you some objection and you

give them a kind of aw shucks tone and respond to the objection, now you've gone from a conversation thats

over to more dialogue... sorry its hard to explain on the internet if you want to PM me i can give you a call

sometime to explain this better. additionally you can always frame the proposition differently..for example the

owner may not think $50 (or whatever the commission is) is much money but if you frame as something tangible

like "wouldnt you like to be able to take your family out for a nice dinner once a month free" or "do you know

theres a way to add to your kid's college savings without actually spending any money" or "did you know you can

save $50 every month on your car payment?" that kind of thing...

i highly recommend reading "the accidental salesperson" great book its not quite the kind of selling u are doing

but it will make you think about things a bit differently.

theres some ways to coax out of people what their objections are even if they are hesistant to tell you

some people automatically say no because its easier than saying yes. they dont even know why they are

saying no. so you can kind of sneakily ask them what their objections are without being pushy.if they say

they dont want machines, you can try something like "i respect that, you know i hear that a lot...im not

gonna twist your arm over it but it could sure help me improve my business to know why do people

object to having these things...if you dont mind me asking"..then they give you some objection and you

give them a kind of aw shucks tone and respond to the objection, now you've gone from a conversation thats

over to more dialogue... sorry its hard to explain on the internet if you want to PM me i can give you a call

sometime to explain this better. additionally you can always frame the proposition differently..for example the

owner may not think $50 (or whatever the commission is) is much money but if you frame as something tangible

like "wouldnt you like to be able to take your family out for a nice dinner once a month free" or "do you know

theres a way to add to your kid's college savings without actually spending any money" or "did you know you can

i highly recommend reading "the accidental salesperson" great book its not quite the kind of selling u are doing

That is phenomenal advice! Thank you very much- I'll try that on Monday on a couple places! Thanks DogCow!

great tips

Don't feel too bad. I have had two places where the guys nearly got started a fight when I went in locating. Both times it turned out I was talking in the presence of an employee who had a cheap machine in there without paying a commission. Go figure, eh? They get angry when they hear you suggesting that the company make some money off the machine.

If you are doing any telemarketing I would recommend; Sales on the Line by Sharon Drew Morgan. It's a older book with a slightly different twist on the telemarketing process. On the rare occasions that I do actually do some calling I still use some of the methods in this book.

Good Luck

If you are doing any telemarketing I would recommend; Sales on the Line by Sharon Drew Morgan. It's a older book with a slightly different twist on the telemarketing process. On the rare occasions that I do actually do some calling I still use some of the methods in this book.

Good Luck

I'll look it up! Thanks for the lead Mission. I go locating tomorrow if I don't get called into work. Fingers crossed!

I went out again today. Hit 9 places in person, three phone calls, for a total of 12 attempts.

None of them were interested, but I think I got close with the last guy I talked to. Here's a play by play:

Existing machines: 9-way service rack "Folz/Sugarloaf" plush crane, one Buck-A-Roo (Central Vending Inc.)

Manager: "Hey."

Me: Hello! I'm Alex and I'm here to ask if you would please help the St. Lukes church youth programs. We use these small vending machines to raise money for their activities. Would you consider donating a little space to help them?

Manager: "Uhh... Well, I don't have much room..."

Me: Of course- these machines are very space-conscious, and take up less than 1 square foot of floor space. It would mean the world to these kids you see...

Manager: "uh huh..."

Me: I offer a variety of products and machines that can be customized to your needs, and you would receive a letter of thanks from the youth group.

Manager: "well, these guys pay me... so..."

*At this point, I was dying for a yes, even a maybe- so I rolled off with this*

Me: Alright, well, may I ask you this: How much would it cost up front to install a machine in your fine restaurant?

Manager: "Hmm... do you do a commission percentage?"

Me: Of course. If you want a percentage, I'm more than happy to...

Manager: "I'm happy with the vendors I got. See ya."

So... long story short I'm rather frustrated. This spot is gravy for sure- Central Inc. has a Bounce-a-roo with a DBA IN IT. Why would you have a machine with a DBA in it if the location sucked? This is the closest I've gotten to even a maybe in about 40 attempts, so I'm rather frustrated about the whole affair. I must be doing SOMETHING wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what that is. Oh well, I have tomorrow afternoon off, so I've got to get another location list together- for tomorrow I locate anew! Hey, they don't win until I quit right?

Again, thank you all for your help in this- I really appreciate it!

Maybe this would be better... Stick to one or the other, charity or commission... I wouldnt flip-flop looks bad....

When the owner tells me they have no room.... I walk over to the spot where my machine will fit..

Dont ask him how much it cost u to place a machine.... Show him, break that 100$ bill out slap it down...

And tell him... All I'm asking is 90day if your not happy ill take it out... But i bet you... Your gonna like it...

Ive neaver done a 100$ most has been 50$ and only twice... Keep your head up...

Maybe this would be better... Stick to one or the other, charity or commission... I wouldnt flip-flop looks bad....

When the owner tells me they have no room.... I walk over to the spot where my machine will fit..

Dont ask him how much it cost u to place a machine.... Show him, break that 100$ bill out slap it down...

And tell him... All I'm asking is 90day if your not happy ill take it out... But i bet you... Your gonna like it...

Ive neaver done a 100$ most has been 50$ and only twice... Keep your head up...

This was the only one I flip-flopped at, and that's because he prompted. I'm not going to pay a charity fee AND a commission- that's nuts. I do like this idea- $50 on the table is probably a better gamble than paying a locator. Thanks for the tips Donovon!

No problem.. If i was in wisconsin... I'd come and help... What's the population were u live and how saturated is your area?

Well, the region has been economically depressed since before the economic depression- but that's what happens when the major industry starts to die off without a replacement. I drove through the nearby town of Port Edwards today- the biggest strip-mall in town that once housed dozens of shops is now boarded up. Even the gas stations, banks and PAWN SHOPS have closed. While this is the worst-hit area, the rest of the region isn't great. My biggest hurdle is that everyone seems to be doing this all of a sudden- every third place I stop has an unlabeled Vendstar in the corner. Either it's owned by the store, or by a relative or employee at the store- and "GOD FORBID" I set anything near their mostly-yellow Vendstar to detract from it's profits. There are lots and lots of places to hit yet, but I've hit all the obvious choices. I think I've hit every restaurant in the area at least once, save the fast food stops.

I guess I'm rather at a loss- I'm not the best salesman ever, but I've located by myself before. I don't know if it's environmental or something I'm doing, but something tells me if I hire a locator, they're going to have similar luck.

The total population for my operating are is close to 50,000 in 11 cities in narrowly clustered. To date I have machines in only four of them.

Like I said, I'm far from giving up hope on this- I'll get more spots one of these days- but until then I'll have to muddle through "as-is". It's just frustrating at times- but you get over it and move on.

Again, thanks for all the help Donovon!

Oh, I suppose it wasn't the wisest move on my part to try and locate on the MOST POLITICALLY CHARGED DATE IN STATE HISTORY. I have relatives that aren't speaking with each other over this stuff. I guess I'll blame today's losses on that for now. Looks like Milwaukee gets to keep their top-notch mayor.

Have you considered using a locator? That's all I use because I'm terrible at selling someone and afraid that I ruin any future chance at that location. I have had pretty decent luck with my locator so far, I'd like to try locating myself again but I'll have to go find some places I don't really care about and practice on them ;) haha

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took some good advice from English, the King' and a few others and hired Locators R Us. They were highly recommended and they did not disappoint. For a mere $30.00 they got me a restaurant I didn't know existed in TWO DAYS. That's phenomenal speeds. The place is huge, and judging by the row of almost-empty Vendstars, there's money to be had. I will maintain that self-locating will net you the "best" spots, but I'll concede it is much easier to pay a locator $30.00 to get a hot spot. I'll keep trucking along with my own efforts, but I will say it's a massive weight off my shoulders knowing that if I can't land spots myself, LRU can do it easy.

I honestly wish I had tried a locator before I spent a month treading a sea of rejections.

Thank you all for your help! I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Well, I took some good advice from English, the King' and a few others and hired Locators R Us. They were highly recommended and they did not disappoint. For a mere $30.00 they got me a restaurant I didn't know existed in TWO DAYS. That's phenomenal speeds. The place is huge, and judging by the row of almost-empty Vendstars, there's money to be had. I will maintain that self-locating will net you the "best" spots, but I'll concede it is much easier to pay a locator $30.00 to get a hot spot. I'll keep trucking along with my own efforts, but I will say it's a massive weight off my shoulders knowing that if I can't land spots myself, LRU can do it easy.

I honestly wish I had tried a locator before I spent a month treading a sea of rejections.

Thank you all for your help! I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Performa. Use a locator when you can afford it, and if you have time, you can just locate throughout your day and be picky about the spots that you call upon. You're doing the right thing. Remember, there's nothing wrong with spending some money to make money. And also, when you go to 100 spots and spend all that time, you're also spending more gas. So you do what you must do.

Performa. Use a locator when you can afford it, and if you have time, you can just locate throughout your day and be picky about the spots that you call upon. You're doing the right thing. Remember, there's nothing wrong with spending some money to make money. And also, when you go to 100 spots and spend all that time, you're also spending more gas. So you do what you must do.

I hate to pay for a service I can do myself for nearly free, but you are 100% correct- my time is more valuable at this point. Plus, at $30 a pop, it's not going to break the bank anytime soon- and these guys are much faster than I am. Thanks for all the help and support JLM!

but then you would never have known! In the long run self locating is best...until you hone your skills you can use locators. and remember to always ask your existing locations if they have other locations or know of someone that needs machines.

Archived