c-store snack route

Precious Roy

I've run across someone selling a route on craigslist and thought I'd post here for opinions. I'm not sure if this qualifies as vending. There are no vending machines. From what I understand you would go around to convenience stores and restock their supply of particular products(pork skins, peanuts, etc). Like what the lance or little debbie route driver does except apparently as an independent. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? How do you valuate it? The formula he gave and said was typically used is annual gross x 2.5 which seems high to me since I read here that for a vending machine route it should be .5 annual gross. Is this a different animal or is he blowing smoke? I am going with him to run part of the route in my area and see what all it entails. I'm thinking of getting the route in my city w/ about 60 stops and one in a smaller city about 45mins away that is 20 stops. They are not all convenience store locations, but the majority are. What are some good questions for me to ask? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The c-store routes can be pretty good. I know guy that used to own a Mrs Bairds pastry/bread route. Made good money but the hours sucked. He sold and moved away a few years ago.

As for valuation IMO 2.5 times gross is way high. I couldn't imagine a 100K route selling for 250K as a example. I'd look for independent confirmation of that formula.

Archived