how to manage inventory

kandyking

I am looking for a better way of managing what candy is being used when servicing routes. Currently my people are required to add by the cup and must mark down how many cups of which product is added at each location and then at the end of the day I make sure that it matches up with the amount of product they checked out. I feel this system is very cumbersome and not very effective. What do you guys do?

I am looking for a better way of managing what candy is being used when servicing routes. Currently my people are required to add by the cup and must mark down how many cups of which product is added at each location and then at the end of the day I make sure that it matches up with the amount of product they checked out. I feel this system is very cumbersome and not very effective. What do you guys do?

Count gumballs? ;D ;D ;D ;D

John

How would this method provide any kind of accountability? Or does this serve some sort of other purpose for you?

If someone was stealing they wouldn't be stealing candy, they would be stealing coins. To hide that fact from you they could buy a few bags of something themselves and slip it into the machines and take a appropriate amount of cash out and you would never know about it.

Jus wonderin?

In the machines I have in my fleet, mainly 1800 vendings, the quarters drop randomly so I have no idea if I am selling $25 in pmm, gumballs or skittles which all have very different COGS. I need an accurate gauge of true profit so I am able to push my business to the next level. I am not using it as a theft deterrent, I am using it at an attempt to see how much of that shiny quarter ends up in my pocket vs my candy suppliers.

I just write down my many ounces I use at each location. If I just use 1/2 bag - i write down 1/2 the weight of that bag and at next location I use that 1st.

My concern with that is the lack of how precise it is. I am looking for a way to really get my finger on the pulse of COGS

Why don't you use some sort of measuring stick. Since you use the same machines across the board, just stick a ruler into the the candy and measure the height before and after filling? one inch can equal so many ounces of candy. You will have to work out the conversions though. Measure an inch of PMM in a 1-800, then weigh out how many ounces that works out to be. Do it for all your candies and machines.

Or put stick on labels in the back of all the heads, and they can measure the height of the candy just by looking at it. Like those rulers they stick on the doors at convenience stores to be able to see how tall a perp is.

If you know how many inches you had in the head from the last service call, you can figure out how many inches are missing from the head since then. Optionally, you can fill it to a standard height each time you service, and then you can record the height when you come to service the next time. The delta is the amount that was sold for that cycle.

Are you trying to determine per machine, or for the whole route? For a route you could see how much candy is taken out, then how much comes back. The difference is how much was used.

I started using Ziplock 5 cup containers. I generally throw in the whole container, or nothing, mostly for simplicity. But they do have measurements on the side, so if I want, I can pour in an amount to put the machine back to where it was, then look at the container, and quickly know how much was used.

I used to use the 4 cup round containers with screw on lids. I still use them for gumballs because they hold almost exactly 100 gumballs.

Archived