Crane Help

Nick505

Ok so as you know I was able to fix the last Hollywood Best Choice crane fairly easy. I am now working on a second unit but can not seem to figure it out.

The mother board consists of 5 relays, and 5 fuses, a power supply, the claw strength dial, and game time dial. Nothing else.

My problem is when the gantry is in a random position and powered on it does not return home. (it is supposed to) Also when given a credit the gantry will only move to the right and back.

I was hoping that some of the relays were bad and this would be an easy fix. I removed all the relays and took them to my working machine and swapped them. The working machine continued to work perfectly.

I am stuck at this point and not sure what to do next. Should I replace the 4 switches in the gantry itself? (they all click on and click off so they seem to be working properly).

Could the switches in the joystick be messed up or does this sound like a bad/loose wire?

hey man first of all please post a picture of the board there is no way it does not have a chip

of some kind lol make sure theres no additional boards. anyway u need to get a multimeter

preferably a good one also some extra wire and alligator clips or extended leads (if the leads

from the mutlimeter are removeable) if you need help understanding how to use the meter

give me a call (pm for my phone number) , you will use the meter to test the switches

and other wiring for breaks

oh just to add you want to make sure the meter has a "continuity " setting because this is what

you will be using to test with

never heard from you but my phone gets bad reception in the shop.

anyway heres my best explanation how to use the DMM (multimeter)

set your DMM to continuity mode. what this does is creates a small circuit in the meter. if you

touch the leads together you will hear a tone come from the meter. now UNPLUG YOUR CRANE GAME

and start to test the connections using the meter.

to test a switch attach the leads to the connectors on the switch, close the switch, if you hear a tone

the switch is working.

if that doesnt reveal anything test the wires for a broken connection. connect one lead to a wire where

it connects to the board and another up at the crane head. unless the machine was assembled by idiots

the wire colors should match up all the way down the line so its easy to tell what wires your testing. i test from

the crane head down to the board first because it is the fastest way to tell if its working. if you find a broken one

(no tone) you will have to start tracing it through each harness and switch and testing smaller lengths of wire

to find the broken connector. odds are your dmm leads wont be long enough to test all the way from the crane head to

the board (unless yo can take the gantry down and get it closer) so you can use alligator clips and extra wire

to extend the reach of the leads.

also before you begin disconnect and re-seat all wire harnesses a lose harness can be a cause of many

mysterious problems.

oh also twobits.com sells a universal replacement board its not the greatest board because it

doesnt have many features (you even have to add your own claw strength pot) but it does have a

credit accumulator so you can change the price and it will drive just about any older crane game

installation skill seems "medium" to me.

never heard from you but my phone gets bad reception in the shop.

anyway heres my best explanation how to use the DMM (multimeter)

set your DMM to continuity mode. what this does is creates a small circuit in the meter. if you

touch the leads together you will hear a tone come from the meter. now UNPLUG YOUR CRANE GAME

and start to test the connections using the meter.

to test a switch attach the leads to the connectors on the switch, close the switch, if you hear a tone

the switch is working.

if that doesnt reveal anything test the wires for a broken connection. connect one lead to a wire where

it connects to the board and another up at the crane head. unless the machine was assembled by idiots

the wire colors should match up all the way down the line so its easy to tell what wires your testing. i test from

the crane head down to the board first because it is the fastest way to tell if its working. if you find a broken one

(no tone) you will have to start tracing it through each harness and switch and testing smaller lengths of wire

to find the broken connector. odds are your dmm leads wont be long enough to test all the way from the crane head to

the board (unless yo can take the gantry down and get it closer) so you can use alligator clips and extra wire

to extend the reach of the leads.

also before you begin disconnect and re-seat all wire harnesses a lose harness can be a cause of many

mysterious problems.

I agree. Broken wire or bad switch. Cranes can be really a pain. Everything has to be right in the gantry and the board for everything to work properly. Sounds like the problem is in your gantry. Keep trying.

I agree. Broken wire or bad switch. Cranes can be really a pain. Everything has to be right in the gantry and the board for everything to work properly. Sounds like the problem is in your gantry. Keep trying.

we got it sorted out over PM it was a blown fuse.

• 4 years later...

Archived