New approach with some problems

PerformaVending

I continue my locating endeavors while I patiently wait for LRU to get back to me. Nothing new though. However, today I tried something new, and if it works I could get some good spots- albeit with a greater expense. I stopped at a popular mom and pop indoor garden supply center. They have a crummy Vendstar- go figure. So, I talked to the manager and he explained the machine was his son's, and that there was no way I could stick a single next to it. So, I pressed again "Would it be possible to buy the machine from your son? How might I contact him?" Well, as my luck has yet to change he didn't tell me anything, reiterated that he wasn't interested, and asked (rather loudly) that I leave. The whole tone changed from "Ha Ha- no thanks" to "GET OUT..." in a split second, and I'm not entirely sure why. As I'm quite curious as to what missteps might have caused his adverse reaction, I figured I'd run it past those of you with more experience. What did I do wrong here that I can correct if I try something like this in the future?

I think there is just a stigma attached to "salesmen" that is tough to get away from. My very few locating attempts were met pretty much the same way as yours, very quickly irritated managers that must think we are trying to pull one over on them somehow. I'm sticking with the locator pros for now! Good luck to you bud! Keep us posted

I think there is just a stigma attached to "salesmen" that is tough to get away from. My very few locating attempts were met pretty much the same way as yours, very quickly irritated managers that must think we are trying to pull one over on them somehow. I'm sticking with the locator pros for now! Good luck to you bud! Keep us posted

Thanks man! I still think it's a matter of patience. I don't give up very easily, and I'll get some spots eventually...

I continue my locating endeavors while I patiently wait for LRU to get back to me. Nothing new though. However, today I tried something new, and if it works I could get some good spots- albeit with a greater expense. I stopped at a popular mom and pop indoor garden supply center. They have a crummy Vendstar- go figure. So, I talked to the manager and he explained the machine was his son's, and that there was no way I could stick a single next to it. So, I pressed again "Would it be possible to buy the machine from your son? How might I contact him?" Well, as my luck has yet to change he didn't tell me anything, reiterated that he wasn't interested, and asked (rather loudly) that I leave. The whole tone changed from "Ha Ha- no thanks" to "GET OUT..." in a split second, and I'm not entirely sure why. As I'm quite curious as to what missteps might have caused his adverse reaction, I figured I'd run it past those of you with more experience. What did I do wrong here that I can correct if I try something like this in the future?

I often will offer to buy existing machines when the location tells me they are handling their own vending (bulk or full-line). I've had limited success with this, but some is better than none. Even if they turn me down I'll often leave a card and tell them "Let me know if you ever get tired of the hassle..."

I've been doing this long enough that I've notice one thing, and this seems to keep me going.

My vending business has generally outlived most of the little business out there. When they get nasty to me when I'm out locating, I just generally remind them that my business will likely outlast theirs. I'll let them know that I'll just come back here a year from now and see if new owner of the new business is more agreeable to what I have to offer.

My guess would be his son prolly makes money with his machine and his dad felt pressured or insulted by you offering to buy it. I really can't see anyone selling a machine that makes money. That's just my opinion. I hope the locating gets better for you Performa.

When I see machines in locations that I want, I put a small sticker so that is barely sticks over the lock that reads "The Kandy King wants your machine or route. If you want out, I want in. Call me at . .. . . . or visit my website at www.kandykingvending.com "

I have received some call backs from this method (which I got from someone else on this board) and find it easier to put a sticker than have the conversation with the owner of the establishment. You are also all but guaranteed that the owner of the machine will see the sticker while the odds of the owner of the establishment relaying your message is much less.

Archived