Disassembling a whirlwind spiral

lurtsman

I'm working on taking apart some spirals. Anyone have advice? I've figured out how to go through the top and undo the screws that hold the globe in place. I haven't figured out how to get beyond that. I'd love to get the tube in the middle removed from the base.

ok most spirals are built on a center shaft

in the bottom coin box you should see a round rod with a locking nut the rod runs from the bottom of the coin box up thru the center spiral area and is bolted a the top

if you look inside the coin box there is a metal bar where the center round rod is bolted to it.

undo the bolt and the screws around the plastic spiral clear tube there should be some screws around the top and bottom of the clear plexiglas spiral area

once all those screws are removed the bottom, center, and top will come off and the long rod should be connected still to the top middle coin mech area.

bill

LID ------> -------

( )

( )

coin mech --> \ /

screws ---> { T } there is a Nut here but leave that one

I I I

I I I

I I I

screws ---> { I }

/ I \

coin door--- > / T \ <---- rod with bolt and rod thru... undo the bolt undo the screws lift off top and the center will be loose too

bill

well i tried to make a grapic but ... its not working when i post it

Bill is spot on. The center rod is how the whole thing goes together. Mine is held tight with two wing nuts inside the bottom above the coin tray. Loosen them up, and then the whole spiral assembly can be rotated around and unscrewed from the base as one big unit. I've only taken mine apart once to clean it though, and putting it back together was much more difficult than taking it apart.

Mine is an off-brand spiral though, so yours may differ.

Just wondering... if you are cleaning the tube could you not tape a piece of fishing line to a large marble and feed it through the tube? Then pull a cloth through with the fishing line.

Now that is a good idea. I'd never thought of that!

Archived