business owner said that if they had machines it would drive away customers

Action Vending

This happend about a year ago. I went to a small restaurant in a small town asked for the owner and asked her what she would think of trying some machines. I told her that they use no electricity, I fill and maintain them and it makes her money for no cost to her.

She said no thank you Im not interested. I said nicely "can I ask why not so I know in the future?" she said that those machines cause a problem for her and that people wont want to eat their because kids will be begging and crying to their parents for a quarter. "I said to her I could give you $50 up front and we could see how it goes for a few months." she Still said no even after I told her many cases kids behave better when they might have a chance for a toy at the end of their visit. She said no thanks and I told her thank you for her time and left.

Wow some people are just way too stubborn. I tried locating a small sit down pizza shop several months back and got a similar response. The owner insisted that he wanted his shop to be machine free because that's not how he does business. Then again, I was trying to locate a charity machine, I have a feeling his answer may have been a bit different if it was a commission gig.

I've had this one used on me too. I maintain there's still something else beyond "customers won't like it" that's putting them off to the whole vending deal, but I can't figure out what that thing is. I can't think of a situation where someone says: "Boy, I'd love to go to that awesome Chinese place- but they have vending machines and my children are FAR too ill-behaved to go near one of those! Burgers it is!"

When I find a location that has this sort of "no" attached to it, I tend to drop it for good- there is no use trying to fight a machine in there when their reasoning is downright illogical. Better luck at the next stop Action!

It could be they had a bad experience with a vendor in the past! We have all seen those nasty run-down machines in locations we have or are trying to get. It's a shame some vendors do this...most likely someone with get rich quick dreams and as soon as they learn it takes hard work to maintain vending machines they get lazy and often times just abandon their machines. Unfortunately, this will be an on-going problem for our industry.

I have three kids and I guarantee that we have never decided to eat or not eat a restaurant based on whether they had or did not have vending machines. Ridiculous.

I pitched a pizza place for a rack a while back and the guy said that it would send the "wrong message". I am always polite so it was hard not to ask him what message greasy pizza and franken-corn sweetened soft drinks sent. Just that days excuse.

I pitched a pizza place for a rack a while back and the guy said that it would send the "wrong message". I am always polite so it was hard not to ask him what message greasy pizza and franken-corn sweetened soft drinks sent. Just that days excuse.

That's right. Don't look down on my candy. You sell grease, cheese, and bread.

Most people dont even know why they dont want them they dont have a logical reason and so they say something that makes them look ignorant. There was a ski lodge that didnt want any games because that wasnt the "look they were going for. But they sell greasy chicken and candy bars at the counter and havnt remodeled in 25 years, and apparently dont like to make money. This is part of the reason why they are in debt right now which is 5 years later from their decision on the games.

Archived