How do I handle this?

PerformaVending

As someone who has exclusively self located up to this point, I'm still shaky on how the whole locator process works. I hired LRU on Monday, and today they have me a location. They advised me to call ahead and set an appointment to deliver the machine- but I'm not sure the best way to do that. I've got a sales pitch down, but I'm not sure the best way to call the location about this. After all my trouble locating so far, I really don't want to botch this with some rookie mistakes- so how should I contact them and take over where LRU left off?

Thank you all in advance for any advice!

You're not required to call them. The locators are just trying to cover themselves so you don't call back in pissed because you've wasted your gas and time only to be rejected. I prefer to take my chances. I never call when I use a locator. The way I look at it they've already given the ok, no need giving them another opportunity to say no. I just plan ahead to service any other machines in the area. If the new location rejects the machine I just fill the others and request another location.

You're not required to call them. The locators are just trying to cover themselves so you don't call back in pissed because you've wasted your gas and time only to be rejected. I prefer to take my chances. I never call when I use a locator. The way I look at it they've already given the ok, no need giving them another opportunity to say no. I just plan ahead to service any other machines in the area. If the new location rejects the machine I just fill the others and request another location.

Oh... that makes much more sense. Is there a "time frame" I should go for, or should I deliver ASAP? I assume I'm going to have to give my sales pitch again anyway, so I may as well get the timing right. Thanks Jeremiah!

I have always called ahead and asked to speak with the contact that the locator has given me. This is simply to make sure that it's a good time to bring the machine in, and that the employees have a heads up to the new machine coming in. There have been two instances where I call the location, ask to speak to the contact, and they know no one by that name and have absolutely no interest in the machine (in one the corporate policy actually disallowed machines in their restaurants). This is why I think it's best to call ahead and make sure the locator didn't just throw you a random name and company to try to get their money.

Oh... that makes much more sense. Is there a "time frame" I should go for, or should I deliver ASAP? I assume I'm going to have to give my sales pitch again anyway, so I may as well get the timing right. Thanks Jeremiah!

I would think the sooner the better. Most locators expect you to place within a week or so. I prefer to do mine in the morning, it just seems to go easier. There's less customers confusing the situation and the manager has had less time to get aggravated and stressed. If you have a good locator you shouldn't have to do much selling unless they tell you that the location has reservations or that they weren't able to get a solid approval.

I have always called ahead and asked to speak with the contact that the locator has given me. This is simply to make sure that it's a good time to bring the machine in, and that the employees have a heads up to the new machine coming in. There have been two instances where I call the location, ask to speak to the contact, and they know no one by that name and have absolutely no interest in the machine (in one the corporate policy actually disallowed machines in their restaurants). This is why I think it's best to call ahead and make sure the locator didn't just throw you a random name and company to try to get their money.

I've had this happen before. I've also showed up and had them refuse but after showing them the machine and answering a few questions I was able to secure the location anyway. I doubt I would've been able to pull that off over the phone. As long as the locator has a guarantee in place I prefer to show in person. JMO

I call when I am 2 mins away and speak to the contact like it is a foregone conclusion.

"Hello, this is George with Kandy King Vending. We will be delivering your new candy machine shortly. Would you like us to bring it in the front door or do you have a service entrance you would prefer we utilize."

That lets them know it is coming without giving them a chance to say no. Now when you arrive 2 mins later, they are expecting you and welcome the machine.

I try to deliver within 24 hours of getting the confirmation email but definitely within 48 hours while it is still fresh in everyones mind. Every day it is not delivered is one day further from the call when they agreed and one day less income that machine will get on location.

I never call either, I think it is easier to battle any "I thought about it and don't want one" in person than it is on the phone. I have had that happen a couple of times and one said "but since you're already here go ahead" and the other I had to convince to give it a try for a while but I don't think that would have went so well over the phone.

I've placed two with First Choice Locators. I didn't call ahead. I just showed up. One was excited like it was the best thing that had happened to the place in 10 years. The other, a large supermarket, questioned me about the machine (size, shape, that sort of thing) but they eventually showed me where it went. I didn't bring the machine at first with either of these. I talked to my contact had them show me where it went said I'd place it and be out of their way. Worked like a charm.

Good answers in here. I usually went out to anything that was less than 7 or 8 miles away. If they said no, I went and tried to locate near there. Then I contacted the locating company and told them they wasted my time/gas and that I wanted a ten dollar credit to my account.

Archived