Retirement Homes

English Vending

Avoid Cashews if at all possible. Expensive and problematic. All discussed HERE. However, I would argue that a candy machine would actually do pretty well. Not for the tenants, but for their visiting families. I know that when I was a kid, it was terribly boring to visit any of my family in these places. Between visitors and staff, I'd think that a triple loaded with the basics (PMM's, Skittles, Mike and Ike's) would do alright for you. Though I doubt you'd break profit records, I think it could be done successfully. Good luck English!

I bet it would do great. Lots of trapped people with no place to go. My grandpa would have spent $5 a day on one given the chance. I've heard nuts do well at nursing homes. Maybe almonds. I've never tried them.

How did you get the nursing home location? I've always wondered who you'd approach.

I have a machine in the employees break room. However, they put work-out machines in the room on my last trip. Not sure how things will go now. I don't know if they will have another break room for them. It's an odd situation.

I bet it would do great. Lots of trapped people with no place to go. My grandpa would have spent $5 a day on one given the chance. I've heard nuts do well at nursing homes. Maybe almonds. I've never tried them.

How did you get the nursing home location? I've always wondered who you'd approach.

Yeah from what I have seen at those places it seems like a lot of boredom. I think I will try to give it a shot. I don't have a location yet but with my locator I can request specific places or industries and he charges me $10 extra. Been on a hotel kick lately for tourist season.

Yeah from what I have seen at those places it seems like a lot of boredom. I think I will try to give it a shot. I don't have a location yet but with my locator I can request specific places or industries and he charges me $10 extra. Been on a hotel kick lately for tourist season.

Find out who the owner is. Going through local administrators, I think you'll see a LOT more resistance from their "medical" nature and background. The owner is running a business, and can be approached like any other business owner. I got a maybe out of one of these places this way, but was turned down due to space issues- not the products. Again, good luck English!

Avoid Cashews if at all possible. Expensive and problematic. All discussed HERE. However, I would argue that a candy machine would actually do pretty well. Not for the tenants, but for their visiting families. I know that when I was a kid, it was terribly boring to visit any of my family in these places. Between visitors and staff, I'd think that a triple loaded with the basics (PMM's, Skittles, Mike and Ike's) would do alright for you. Though I doubt you'd break profit records, I think it could be done successfully. Good luck English!

I just figured it up and at 12 cashews per .25 cent vend that all works out to $42 for the whole can. They cost $16.88 where I live but this seems like a pretty good ROI. Am I vending way too little or is my math wrong?

And I know this was being talked about in the other thread but no one would answer me :P

I just figured it up and at 12 cashews per .25 cent vend that all works out to $42 for the whole can. They cost $16.88 where I live but this seems like a pretty good ROI. Am I vending way too little or is my math wrong?

And I know this was being talked about in the other thread but no one would answer me :P

Boy, the math checks out here, but keep in mind that the price fluctuates, and your demand will need to be pretty much constant. You will have to pretty much sell the canister out to keep product at the bottom from spoiling. Because these can't be stored long-term, I'd be nervous about that.

As an added hurdle, many places I deal with won't even consider nuts thanks to all the nut allergies people today have. When I first got started there was a county-wide push here to get rid of nuts in vending machines to protect kids who "might be allergic and not know it". Of course now they want all the vendors to stock healthy items, but that's another tirade. I would think that in a "medical" setting with LOTS of people coming through and people in questionable health, I can't see an administrator wanting to take the plunge with nuts. Now, this is just my situation, yours may be entirely different.

If nothing else, give it a try at one spot. If you hit some problems, clean out the canister and dump in something else. If it works, awesome, if it doesn't work, you know for sure, and will only be out a little money. Though I can think of several worst-case scenarios, their likelihood is slim to none. Again, good luck English'!

Boy, the math checks out here, but keep in mind that the price fluctuates, and your demand will need to be pretty much constant. You will have to pretty much sell the canister out to keep product at the bottom from spoiling. Because these can't be stored long-term, I'd be nervous about that.

As an added hurdle, many places I deal with won't even consider nuts thanks to all the nut allergies people today have. When I first got started there was a county-wide push here to get rid of nuts in vending machines to protect kids who "might be allergic and not know it". Of course now they want all the vendors to stock healthy items, but that's another tirade. I would think that in a "medical" setting with LOTS of people coming through and people in questionable health, I can't see an administrator wanting to take the plunge with nuts. Now, this is just my situation, yours may be entirely different.

If nothing else, give it a try at one spot. If you hit some problems, clean out the canister and dump in something else. If it works, awesome, if it doesn't work, you know for sure, and will only be out a little money. Though I can think of several worst-case scenarios, their likelihood is slim to none. Again, good luck English'!

Yeah I didn't know about the cashew worms... Gross, I will have to keep a close eye on that. And I always wondered about the nut allergy on P-M&Ms but I guess the label saying "PEANUT" should be warning enough! I have cashews in one place where the elderly owner got pretty excited about seeing them in there so I will see how that goes and maybe try it out Ina home too. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I didn't know about the cashew worms... Gross, I will have to keep a close eye on that. And I always wondered about the nut allergy on P-M&Ms but I guess the label saying "PEANUT" should be warning enough! I have cashews in one place where the elderly owner got pretty excited about seeing them in there so I will see how that goes and maybe try it out Ina home too. Thanks for the advice!

We vendors look out for our own- no problem. Good luck locating at these places, I'd be interested to hear your findings when you land one.

Archived