Working part-time for a vendor

I have bulk candy machines and want to get into the drink and snack business. I thought it might be a good idea to work part-time for a vendor to get a feel for things. I suppose I could just get a couple of machines from Coca Cola and get going myself. Any thoughts on working for someone to learn the business?

Thanks,

lowcountry Dan

Why not buy 2 machines and place them and get a feel for it? I've never liked the idea of not owning your own machines.if you get them at a good deal you won't lose that money when you sell out.

Why not buy 2 machines and place them and get a feel for it? I've never liked the idea of not owning your own machines.if you get them at a good deal you won't lose that money when you sell out.

moving, and repairs are two reasons. plus the bottler will supply you nice machines. iuf you havent

been in business for a while you arent likely to get anywhere with the bottler tho

I have bulk candy machines and want to get into the drink and snack business. I thought it might be a good idea to work part-time for a vendor to get a feel for things. I suppose I could just get a couple of machines from Coca Cola and get going myself. Any thoughts on working for someone to learn the business?

Thanks,

lowcountry Dan

I know several guys that got started that way. You can learn the ropes of the business and get paid while doing it. Gives you a chance to "dip your toe in the water" and not risk losing your $$ while you learn and figure out if full line is for you. If you have the chance to do so then I would give it serious consideration.

Thanks for the replies. I am talking to 2 different vendors about working for them, but all I can get is a "definite maybe". It's truly unbelievable how hard it is to find work in SC. So, if I can't get work and decide to get a couple of machines, can I service them with a car? I have no van and don't plan on getting one. The guy at Coca Cola seemed to think I could it, but he wants to sell his product.

Yep, you can service them in the car......

Biggest hassle will be initial fills as that will probably take the most sodas at one time. So the question is, how many cases can you fit in your car. If you say 10, then you can probably do the initial fill on a machine with your car.

Travis

Also keep in the mind if you get the machine through a bottler, you will most likely have to buy a minimum number of cases per month from them, so pick your location wisely. If it's a "dead" location you are still on the hook for the minimum even if you dont sell enough to restock...

Very true, Shermco. I have met with the Coca Cola Rep and you do have to buy product from them. You also need a storage facility. They will not ship to a residential address. So you must consider cost of goods + rent for your storage unit as overhead. You must also purchase your own lock, no big deal. However they will place it, service it, and move it if necessary.

They will service, but encourage you to learn the machine. I don't have a truck with a lift, so placing a machine is a bit of a problem. Also, I could try a couple of machines, and if it does not work out, they take them back. I am still going to try to work for a vendor, just not sure if they will hire me. I am waiting to see. They tell me to call back next month.

Archived