Newbie with a few basic questions

JCS Vending

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the vending business and have been reading your posts to learn more about it before starting out. I had a few questions I hope you don't mind helping me with.

When it comes to buying the bulk candy machines (gumball, M&M's, skittles, etc.) what website has the best prices/quality? Which do you recommend? I've been looking at gumballs.com and they want $129 for a double head plus $80 shipping total to ship 2 machines.

Which do you recommend - 2 or 3 head machines? I think I read the 2 head are more profitable?

I'm likely going to donate a percentage of our proceeds to a charity. Is this something I should call the charity of our choice and set something up with them or do I just send them a check each month? Is the benefit of this not only benefiting the charity but being able to have a tax write-off? How much do you donate? (10%? 20%?)

Can you use coupons say from the paper inserts on the M&M's or other candy you vend or are the coupons usually only good up to a certain size?

For regular (not PMM) M&M and Skittles vendors, how many M&M & Skittles are you setting per vend?

Tracking spreadsheets - I've already downloaded the ones in the download section of this website but would anyone be willing to send me theirs through email so I can look through and find the one that best works for me? I'm not being lazy, I guess I just don't know where to start and am definitely not good using Excel forumulas :)

Your posts here are so greatly appreciated by someone like me - a stay at home Mom just looking to help contribute income to my family. I have 3 kids and plan on including them on my runs to maintain each machine. They are excited and on board. If not for this forum and all of your insightful posts I'd be lost and likely not brave enough to start so a big thank you from me for your answers to my questions above and for your previous posts!

I wouldn't buy machines from that website. I would suggest doing a little research and narrow it down to 1 or 2 brands and try to build your route from there. If you do a search or read through some of the older posts it might give you a better understanding on the machines and the different brands. If you can buy used through ebay, craigslist, etc that's gonna be your best bet. If not, it's usually cheaper to buy direct.

I have 2,3 & 4 head machines. There's a lot of variables that will determine which set up works best for you and the location. I would think a basic 2 head would be a good place to start.

You will need to contact your charity directly to see if they have a vending program in place or find another one that does if you want to go that route. The ones that do will explain how it all works and help you get set up. Most charge a set amount per sticker per month/year. You can always donate above that as much as you like.

Sams doesn't accepts mnfgr coupons, BJs does but you have to read the fine print. I buy the majority of my bulk candy from Sams but I'm always watching sales and coupons and stock up when I find it for less.

I don't know the exact candy count of my settings and I don't use the spreadsheets you're asking about. I'm sure some of the others will be along to help you with the rest. If you have other questions just ask or send me a PM. I'm not the most experienced on here but I'll be glad to help with what I can.

When it comes to buying the bulk candy machines (gumball, M&M's, skittles, etc.) what website has the best prices/quality? Which do you recommend? I've been looking at gumballs.com and they want $129 for a double head plus $80 shipping total to ship 2 machines.

I strongly reccomend that you find some used machines on your local craigslist. This is what I personally did and it definitely helped to keep my overhead costs down. If you are unsure of what to pay for a certain machine, feel free to ask, I know there are many people here willing to help!

Which do you recommend - 2 or 3 head machines? I think I read the 2 head are more profitable?

I too have heard that doubles are more profitable then triples (amount per head). I personally only have 3 head machines on location so I can't help out too much on this point.

I'm likely going to donate a percentage of our proceeds to a charity. Is this something I should call the charity of our choice and set something up with them or do I just send them a check each month? Is the benefit of this not only benefiting the charity but being able to have a tax write-off? How much do you donate? (10%? 20%?)

I absolutely hate the idea of paying $1/month to NCCS to use their logo and place machines. I know that a lot of people use this route and have a lot of success with it, and that's fine. I just don't like when vendors act as if they are part of the charity, and make it seem like they are giving everything to the charity when they are not. I personally decided to donate 10% of all my machines to the Children's Miracle Network. They don't have a vending program, but I made up a logo and placed it on my machines. You can definitely do something like this, just make sure you are allowed to use their logo and that you also actually donate the amount you say you will. I've found that locations like the honesty associated with this approach.

For regular (not PMM) M&M and Skittles vendors, how many M&M & Skittles are you setting per vend?

No experience with normal MM, but I generally do 6-8 PMM and 12-14 skittles (I give out more when there is another machine offering the same product).

Hopefully all of this helped! I know I wouldn't have been able to start in this business without all of the help I received from the members on these forums. If you have any other questions feel free to post and I will do my best to help!

Bryan

Avoid resellers. Gumballs.com has a LOT of machine for sale, but they are a reseller, so the markup is considerable. Search "Vending" in your local Craigslist and see what's available to you. I have mostly candy triples out now, and a couple of doubles. A good rule of thumb is that if the unit is smaller, it will be easier to find it a location. Doubles are very nice because you have a wider variety of machines you can use, and a more varied product lineup for them. My doubles have bouncy balls and capsules in them, because the locations in question did not want gum or candy. They are more flexible, and in some cases more flexibility means more profit. Charity is a new frontier for me, as I'm far more used to commission. However, I set up a charity with a local, well-known and respected church youth organization. This makes it easier to get in the door, and then I can negotiate how it works out with their organization leaders, rather than being locked into a larger charity organization.

Now, amount vended is a sticky topic, as it comes down to regional prices, clientele, competition, vendor preference, and so on. I buy my candy in the same bulk bags you get at Sams from a grocery/restaurant wholesaler, and it's a hair cheaper in larger quantities and free shipping to my door. That has made a huge difference.

Here are my vend amounts at 25 cents (average)

Skittles: 7-9

Mike and Ike's: 5-7

Runts/ runt analogs: 7-9

M&Ms: 5-7

I typically stay on the side of smaller vend sizes. Only vendors count how many pieces of candy any given machine dispenses, so unless it's a real shortage (say 3 pieces) or a huge overflow (10 or more) your customers aren't going to care. Now, I think it must be a regional thing, but I have had abysmal luck with Peanut M&M's. I dropped them last year, and I'm phasing out M&M's for other candies. I wouldn't touch Reeses Pieces due to the cost. My best sellers are Mike and Ike's, Candy Galaxy (an A&A product), followed by Skittles. These are all heavy-duty candies that sell well, and weather any location for whatever cycles you need. Like Jeremiah, I don't use this spreadsheet as my route isn't nearly big enough to warrant it.

My recommendation to you is to find an inexpensive machine locally, and play around with it. Clean it, service it, and locate it yourself. Vendstar machines can be found inexpensively pretty much anywhere, so that may be a good starter. Try it out and see how it goes for you. If it's for you, you'll know it, and if it's not, then you'll know yet won't be out a ton of money. Good luck on your vending endeavor!

Hey I am a new vender also JCS I got some Vendstars off of ebay Rekeyed them even if they had keys to make working the route easier. I have just placed 7 all of them bought off of ebay. Used a locating service on 5 and offered a head hunting fee to people at work and got a couple of more. For me Wife dosen't have much retirement and I am almost 50 have a good job but looking to add to our retierment fund something to do on my weekday off. {Sun-Mon) while the wife works. It is not get rich quick but hey the Rabbit and the Hair Good news the Hair won. start like Proforma said Slow and steady with what you can find used. Lot of people try it and find out it is not a quick way to get rich and then Dump the machines some salesman talked them into paying to much for so use that to your advantage look up what things are selling for on ebay and other sights and when you get a maching work on getting it located ASAP and working for you.

Big Red Vender

Great information thank you! I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering...

Am I correct in each machine top holds approximately 4-5 bags of candy (bags at 42 oz each)?

I see many people here are getting their candy from wholesale club stores (ie Sam's Club). Online my Sam's club has a 42oz bag PMM for $12.88 but when I go to www.walmart.com it's $8.98 and if you order $45 or more it's free shipping. Is that $12.88 for non-members or something? I don't understand why you wouldn't order online at Walmart for a lower price with free shipping to your home. Not to mention you can use coupons at Walmart. I'm thinking I'm missing something here.

How do I clean/steralize a used bulk candy machine I buy from craigslist?

What types of locations are you the most successful at?

What does COGS mean?

What direct companies can I buy bulk candy machines from? I google search and come up with so many websites from gumballs.com to 1800 vending, etc.

Where do you get the little signs you put behind the glass telling customers what product is inside?

How do these Charity programs work? Do any offer free machines for you to use if you donate a percentage of proceeds to them? Might be a stupid question but had to ask because I'm still not clear on this.

Where have you found the best quality for the best priced business cards?

Thanks in advance for allowing me to pick your brains :)

Am I correct in each machine top holds approximately 4-5 bags of candy (bags at 42 oz each)?

I see many people here are getting their candy from wholesale club stores (ie Sam's Club). Online my Sam's club has a 42oz bag PMM for $12.88 but when I go to www.walmart.com it's $8.98 and if you order $45 or more it's free shipping. Is that $12.88 for non-members or something? I don't understand why you wouldn't order online at Walmart for a lower price with free shipping to your home. Not to mention you can use coupons at Walmart. I'm thinking I'm missing something here.

It generally depends on the machine and globe size, there's not a set size, but most are around 11-12lbs. worth of candy so figure the math for the size bags you buy. BTW look in the vending section for the 56oz bags at Sam's, best buy between sam's/wal-mart, unless you have a great coupon I guess.

How do I clean/steralize a used bulk candy machine I buy from craigslist?

I found a kitchen/food cleaning product from Lysol that is safe around kitvhen appliances and food, kills 99.7% percent of germs and my local dollar tree sells it regularly at right under 2 bucks.

What types of locations are you the most successful at?

Nail Salons, Restaurants & Tattoo Parlors, but that's just my best locations for my area.

What does COGS mean?

Cost Of Good

What direct companies can I buy bulk candy machines from? I Google search and come up with so many websites from gumballs.com to 1800 vending, etc.

I'm too lazy to list them here and not sure where they are all listed in the forum but go here: http://reliable-vendor.com/ scroll to bottom, you will find links to the most well known and reputable ones.

Where do you get the little signs you put behind the glass telling customers what product is inside?

Some products, like gum from Sam's come with them, others you can call the manufacturer and request some, look on a bag of mike & Ikes at Sam's and you will see the number to call, and personally I typically use another member on here, http://sweetstopvending.com/ his are great looking, fair priced and he has great service, plus your helping out a fellow forum member.

For price labels I have started using A&A for bulk purchases of them.

How do these Charity programs work? Do any offer free machines for you to use if you donate a percentage of proceeds to them? Might be a stupid question but had to ask because I'm still not clear on this.

http://www.thenccs.org/charityvend is a place to start and gives you an idea how most of them work

Where have you found the best quality for the best priced business cards?

Unless you're going to spend a lot to make some very detailed and awesome cards, overkill in this business unless you're a designer and can do it yourself, just basic cheap business cards work well, especially if you're just getting started.

Amount each machine holds Vaires I know my Vendstars hold just under 2 bags of product in each bay. That will vary from machine to machine.

Af far as suppliers Sam's should always have a ample supply if you can get a better deal at a grocery store then go for it. order online and have it ready for pickup Sams will do the same.

Clean and steralize On my vendstars I just pulled it apart and washed it in the sink then did a rinse again in a sink with about a Tablespoon of Clorox bleach in it Clorine Bleach is an aproved sanitize resturants have been using it for years

Seccessful locations Any that makes you enough money to stop again. 15-20-30 again start small as you get your route going you can move some of the slower to better paying spots as time goes on

Lables One of the members here sells lables and you can also find them on Ebay.

Charity program you can do one of two ways Pay upfront for a few of the stickers most want 1.00 on up a month per machine. 5 machines 12 dollars 60 bucks for the year. When you get your route going and cashflowing good then you can set it up so you just make a montly donation to your charity from your bussiness checking or Savings account.

Just Google Vending Savings Programs for a list of ones you can contact.

Bussniess cards To start I printed them at home. Vista print isn't to badly priced. Vistaprint.com Also just check your office supply stores and little neiborhood print shops and see what they can offer.

Somedays I wonder how many brain cells I have left to pick but your always welcome to look thought them. you might find something I forgot in there sometime.

good luck on the vending adveture. Like I said in my earlier post I am Just starting a route also. Keep us informed of your progress. This can be a small 1-20 machines to over 600 the nice thing about it you can fit it to you and what works for you.

I think you need to use the search function to find out most it not all of your answers.

Cleaning machines must be disassembled before cleaning and sanitizing.

As toward candy, the first mistake a newbie will make and I in lude myself here is they feel they have to fill canister all the way to the top. NEVER do this unless the location warrants this. Otherwise you will be throwing away all of your profit. I would suggest filling half way and then you can adjust your level from there.

I think you need to use the search function to find out most it not all of your answers.

Cleaning machines must be disassembled before cleaning and sanitizing.

As toward candy, the first mistake a newbie will make and I in lude myself here is they feel they have to fill canister all the way to the top. NEVER do this unless the location warrants this. Otherwise you will be throwing away all of your profit. I would suggest filling half way and then you can adjust your level from there.

That is what I did One one stop I check it after two weeks and then Filled two of the Three items in it If the third Item hasn't picked up I will probably change it out when I run the route Next week

Archived