When selling a route on Craigslist?

lurtsman

Would you write the actual asking price?

I've noticed that many posters here see the asking price and figure they should buy it for less no matter how low the asking price. Should I be inflating my asking price so I can let them feel like they won at negotiating? I'd rather not drive away intelligent buyers, but I don't want to drive away the bargain seekers that can't leave just accept a good deal.

Also, how do you handle buyers who have been trained to disbelieve the sales figures? I'm not comfortable with doubling them so the buyer can cut them in half. That seems like a stupid game, but I'd rather not have them trying to second guess me when I've been honest.

Thanks for feedback. This seems like a good time to have access to more brains. Like a zombie...

Lurts I would inflate slightly and expect to be talked down to your price or slighly lower than your price. Just stand your ground when get to your comfort price, you don't want to give away the farm. I know it is a tough call to make. I've done it in the past a few times and things have worked ok.

The big thing on what the route is worth is What kind of paperwork Deposit slips into a Bussniess account Tax forms ECT to show what the Cashflow and profit are from your route is. Looke to by a Laundramat once and the Books Didn't value the bussiness. It was bearly making any money AKA Owner was skimmin on this store the other one Showed a nice profit. Show your records be resonable on your price and know what you think it is worth.

Another way to look at it is that if you lie about one thing you will lie about anything. So... when I see what looks like tom foolery I get extra inquisitive. Lying really has always put me off.

Negotiation is part of doing business. At one time the average price of a house sold for 91% of the asking price. (Don't know the current data, as this was not only before the real estate crash, but before the run up before the crash.)

Some people will not buy if you do not come down in price, no matter the starting price. People will actually pay more, if you came down to that price then if you set a lower price, and didn't budge.

The true value of your business is between what somebody is willing to pay for it, and how much your willing to sell it for. And sometimes your number is higher then theirs.

This is very easy to see in the stock market, because the price listed is always exactly what people are willing to pay for it, and what people are willing to sell it for. A little harder in this situation.

Now for the sales figures, I assume you have tax returns. If your wiling to show your tax returns, or at least part of them, then that could help with the numbers. If you used an accountant, or tax preparer, he could be the proof you need. They could simply call them up, with your authorization that they can release certain data. (They might charge you for that though.)

My advice is in general to selling anything and would apply to a route as well. Value can be found in many places or created from pointing it out. People often overlook advantages until you mention them. For instance, if your route locations are all close together make sure you mention the convenience in saving both time and gas while servicing, this would add instant value. Any variables that add an advantage, all the same equipment model or manufacturer, point that out as easy to get to know your equipment and service. Are they all keyed alike, if so make sure you list it. If you keep a list of not only the locations but the point of contact for those locations mention that, that could remove a lot of anxiety about dealing with the transition and introducing themselves as the new owner if they know the location owners are friendly. That kind of stuff.

Before I sell anything I figure up the "real value" imo of what it is, I then look for and add potential value items like above, and always make sure you list EVERYTHING that could be of value about the item. This makes it sound worth more and makes the customer less likely to try and negotiate you to far down on price. A good real world example is when you go to buy a new car the sales guy always points out all of the great safety features that come with the car, they are valid sales points and most people can appreciate being safe. What they don't tell you is that in most cases, all of those safety features are federally mandated and EVERY car has them at a minimum. So really the customer is feeling all good and warm about something they can get anywhere, they just don't realize it, but it has added value to the model they are looking at.

Great posts in here. I've been not only honest about sales data, but I have all the records (including taxes and commissions) to prove it. If they think I'm making up profits, I'd have to be willing to take a loss on taxes and commissions also. So far most of the people I meet have been great, though I do get the occasional call from someone trying to lowball who wants me to just give him everything. That was kind of funny. I thought it would bother me, but it was just hilarious. If I was an amateur and believed his pitch, it probably would've thrown me for a loop. I may ask for an extra 10%, because I may very well get it. I started with very reasonable base values. I calculated machines, location, and product vs sales and found the ratio to be .66. I consider that to be an excellent margin. I've already got a few people wanting to buy up small portions--ironically it is the smaller pieces that also have the higher ratios. (.90 or so)

Archived