I've fallen upon hard times :-( I need Help Starting my own Bulk Vending Business!

*Jessica*

For the record--this is jgolden83. I have been coming here and posting here for quite some time but for some reason, my password doesn't work for this forum. Therefore, I have been forced to login using facebook.

Now that that's out of the way...

My name is Jessica and I am seeking investors to help me with starting up my own bulk vending business. I know what you may be thinking, "buy your vending machines one at a time and expand slowly." I would do that in a heartbeat, but the thing is, I don't even have enough money to do that with!

Let me explain in further detail. I will start from the beginning:

In December 2004 I moved from Georgia to Ohio to be with my boyfriend. In April 2004, we moved from Ohio to Kentucky. In December 2008 I found out I was pregnant with my now almost 3 year old daughter. In May 2009, the father of my child told me that he didn't love me anymore because he was ***. I had been in a long term relationship with him that had lasted 4 years and 6 months and I never had a clue. This is more common than you realize.

He told me he didn't love me anymore on May 3, 2009. By May 9, 2009, my mother flew up from Florida to drive my car back to Georgia. Keep in mind I had to do this while in the summer heat while I was 6 months pregnant. On May 9, 2009, I moved into my father's house, where I have been ever since.

On July 27, 2009, I gave birth to my daughter via C section. The pregnancy didn't come without its complications, though. I later on found out that I had not one, but two grand mal seizures in the recovery room after I had my c section. This was followed by a restriction on my driver's license that said I couldn't drive by myself for 6 months.

My ex and I tried to work things out after I had given birth, but in the longrun, he left me again, this time permanently, on December 5, 2009. This left me as a single mother of a 4 month old daughter, while still recovering from the C section.

I filed for child support in December 2009. I didn't get any child support until end of September 2010. In that time period, my ex paid me only $297. In that time frame, because I wasn't able to get a job that wouldn't leave me working just to pay for daycare, I accumilated over $2,500 in debt to my father. I had to hire a lawyer to get a parenting plan in order with visitation, etc.

I have tried getting a job. In fact I have applied everywhere and so far, no phone calls for interviews. My father insists that I get a job, but he also makes it clear that he refuses to babysit my daughter so that I can keep any type of job. The types of jobs that I qualify for would take my entire paycheck just to pay for daycare. I don't qualify for TANF daycare benefit because I have child support.

I get approx 454 per month in child support from my ex. Of that amount, $300 goes to renting out my father's basement. This leaves me $154 to pay for gas, diapers, and other necessities, which leaves NO ROOM for buying bulk vending machines one at a time and expanding slowly. Basically I am unwillingly stuck in a rut that I have tried to get out of since May 2009.

Traditional jobs won't cut it for me. Traditional jobs take my entire paycheck to pay for daycare, thus leaving me still living at my father's house with no way out! I need something that offers the flexibility to make the money that I need to finally move out of my father's house and live on my own once and for all, while taking care of my daughter and providing for the life that we need and that I desire.

All of you independent bulk vending business owners know where I'm coming from when I say that traditional jobs won't work for me.

As you see, I have been going through Hell since May 2009. It is now almost July 2012. I have been wanting to start up my own bulk vending business for quite some time now, and need your help in order to do so. I had a small 5 machine hobby in Kentucky, but when I moved to Georgia back in May 2009, it got lost in the move.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and I hope you are able to help me.

P.S. Every Little Bit Helps!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My condolences on your predicament. What's your plan of attack to get your route to an income level you can work with? Are you going with toys or candy?

I'm going with candy. Preferably Skittles.

Working with singles, doubles or triples?

Are you able to get equipment from the low-cost suppliers like A&A, TNT, and Eagle?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you're to get back on your feet ASAP, we shall need the right plan of attack to move this project to a swift fruition!

I'm going with candy. Preferably Skittles.

You've got to have a more solid plan than this if you are wanting people to put up $11,000. Do you have any experience in bulk vending? I don't think skittles are going to cut it for $11k worth of machines. What kind of in depth plan do you have?

lady no offense but you can do this on your own. why would someone you dont know loan you that much money. even if they did you would buy what 50+ machines, how do they know you can locate these machines?? placing machines is not an easy task to get a good location. the reason i am telling you you can do this on your own is because i was only 13 when i landed my first location and i am only 17 now and have over 65 locations that do over $20 a piece a month. and i have never once borrowed money, i have earned everything i have ever done, car,clothes,machines,exc.... my family is very unwealthy and couldnt help me if they wanted to.....so all you need to do is get one used machine off craigslist for under 50 and place in a good location and build from there.

Here is my Master Plan:

My machines are singles and they can be placed on the table tops, so that gives me multiple machines per location.

I have already checked with my state laws and the Chuck E Cheese law allows my types of machine.

They are small candy coin shooters.

I plan on getting the machines from candymachines.com

Each machine costs approx $49.99 I have added an extra $10 per machine to cover shipping and handling costs.

Each machine holds 7lbs of candy. The large ones hold 12 lbs of candy. I am not buying the large ones. The skittles at sams club cost approx $6.28 per bag and each bag is approx 3.375lbs. It takes approx 2.07 bags of skittles to fill each machine, or approx $12.99 to fill each machine initially. Each machine holds approx $60 in quarters. The restaurants where I will put my machines have about 25-30 booth tables each. I will give a commission of 5% per machine which, assuming I have $21 per month per machine will be about $25-30 commission per restaurant. If I make more than $21 per machine per month, of course the restaurant owner's commission will be all the more higher. It's all about the math, but you get the idea.

I have a high initial setting for each machine because my machine is in the ultimate excellent location (right on the table tops in full view of a captive audience for about 20-30 or so minutes [or however long the customer stays])

This gives me around $20 per month per machine net to reinvest in my business. I will use the $20 per month per machine to buy more machines and expand my Bulk Vending Empire until I reach my goal of 300 machines.

Assuming the still $20 per month per machine after I reach my 300 machine goal, that will give me around $6,000 per month (give or take after taxes) to live off of.

I want to be able to say goodbye to child support and welfare forever.

So, what do y'all think?

If there's anything I missed, please let me know specifically and I will address each issue.

lady no offense but you can do this on your own. why would someone you dont know loan you that much money. even if they did you would buy what 50+ machines, how do they know you can locate these machines?? placing machines is not an easy task to get a good location. the reason i am telling you you can do this on your own is because i was only 13 when i landed my first location and i am only 17 now and have over 65 locations that do over $20 a piece a month. and i have never once borrowed money, i have earned everything i have ever done, car,clothes,machines,exc.... my family is very unwealthy and couldnt help me if they wanted to.....so all you need to do is get one used machine off craigslist for under 50 and place in a good location and build from there.

I only have $454 each month of child support to my name, $300 of which goes to rent out my father's basement per month, which leaves $154 per month left to buy diapers, gas for my car, and other necessities. Buying bulk vending machines using child support money is just not an option.

I have tried getting loans from banks, prosper, peer to peer lending and everything else, but because I don't have enough credit history on file, I get denied left and right. :-(

You've got to have a more solid plan than this if you are wanting people to put up $11,000. Do you have any experience in bulk vending?

Yes I have some experience in bulk vending. I had a small 5 machine hobby when I lived up in KY, and it was using the large candy coin shooters at one location, and I was getting $60 per month off that ONE location. which for a single location, at least in my book, is Phenomenal!

Good call!!

If your story is true which I would like to believe Adam is right you are going to have to start on your own unfortunately with all the scams going on on the internet it is hard to trust anyone in todays world. So you are going to need a good plan and more help from people you know like your father.

I highly highly highly doubt that any Restaurant would allow you to put machines on their tables especially for 5%. If I was you I would find some other way to make money because vending is like any other business it costs money to start up and run and it takes money to make money. You should look for something at home using the computer which you are obviously good at and get paid for that.

why dont you work out a deal with your father until you get on your feet. tell him to drop the rent for a couple of months and in return give him half of what the machines net and put the other half twords more machines. but honestly i would go with used bulk candy machines off of craigslist--(cheaper, no shipping, and easyer to locate)

note also let him know you will continue to pay half till all is paid for including prior loss from startup

Tried asking my father. He flat out refuses to help me in this venture.

did you ask for help as in loan?? if so make sure re ask but dont ask for money.Plus family asking for rent?:huh: your hiss daughter , give guilt trip

did you ask for help as in loan?? if so make sure re ask but dont ask for money.Plus family asking for rent? :huh: your hiss daughter , give guilt trip

If I told you the entire story of how my father is and how much of a ********************* he can be, ESPECIALLY when it comes to money, it would fill ten epic novels. I am not lying on this! I asked for a loan and everything in between. trust me he will NOT help!!!!

Guilt trips don't work with my father. That's how bad (and then some) that it is.

Just to give more information--I'm not asking for one person to give me the $11,000...I have different tiers of amounts that people can give, $10, $15, $60, $75, $100, $375, $750, $1,000, $5,000 & $11,000.

Just give what you can, hopefully it will all pool together to equal $11,000. Which in truth, after indegogo takes their fees, is just a little over $10,000

First, drop CandyMachines.com. They are a reseller, and their markup on what equates to plastic basics is pretty high. If you MUST buy new, go with Oak Manufacturing. As I understand, some large company is buying them out, so they seem a little ore "off" these days. They don't have an online catalog- give them a call, I think Vista 300s are $40 some dollars +S/H. Oak machines are hardy machines that don't break down, don't wear out, and best of all, retain their value if you need to resell. Forgo candy if possible. A case of Sam's club gumballs costs about $20.00, and that's for 850. That's about $0.02 per piece, vended at 25 cents which equals $192.50 profit per case. With one case you can fill multiple machines, and is going to be a lot more cost effective than candy considering your situation. One benefit you have from not working is time. Look for garage sales, estate sales, storage auctions etc. and scope them out for vending machines. If you land one amazing deal there you are one step closer to your goal, and that's really how vending works- 1 step at a time. Restaurant counter-tops is a novel approach, and if you think you can land the accounts this way, I commend you, but I've found the locating frontier to be a very difficult place these days- a lot of this is hinging on you being able to land solid accounts fast. I'd recommend pitching some places to warm up now before you start getting more equipment.

Another thing I'd suggest is to consider a charity outfit to nix a commission altogether. You don't have to have an "NCCS" or "Fireman's Auxiliary" to make this work. My charity is a small church youth organization, and they are thrilled to have whatever I bring them, which sits around 15% for me. Church organizations are very friendly places to work with, and if you make your case to their youth directors, administrators, pastors, or even the board of directors, I believe they would help you. It's no risk to them, all you are stating is that you are giving them "a donation" and that's all there is to it. The location is happy, and the charity is happy, and because it's all local, negotiations are easy on you, and if a location want's to see if your charity is legitimate, they can drive over and see what they do firsthand. I'm sure there are other organizations like this that would be willing to help as well.

Finally, I'd recommend using a bit of your spare time getting connected. Volunteer to help locally. It costs you nothing, helps an organization, and builds a reputation for yourself in the community with lots of people. People who may be able to help. Some of the best people I know I've met through volunteer organizations, and I have landed a few locations through this practice as well.

I've found that if you help enough people, or the right person, then they will help you. It's all a matter of getting out there and finding them.

Good luck and best wishes Jessica. I'll help guide you to the best of my abilities towards a successful vending venture. In this endeavor, I wish you the best of luck! I'm right here if you need me.

Good luck I wish u the best however I don't think anyone will shell out any cash here. Too many scams. This business takes money to make money.

If you are considering these

http://www.candymachines.com/Small-Candy-Coin-Shooter-P2586.aspx

dont... I have seen these machines in person

and passed on a lot of 30 of them for $10.00 used each

the coin shooter... flip mechinism is thin plastic and when the customer abuses it

they break like a cheep toy.

there is no way to use these without breakage outweighing the cost of repairs IF they even sell parts for these units..

with all the scams on the net i dont think anyone without face to face in person contact would help you out

sorry

bill

write a more solid business plan, a REAL business plan (read a book on it)

then go to the SBA see if there are grants available, women and minority owned businesses

can apply for grants from the government. then learn how to write a grant proposal

and apply

How you make money is only part of the equation. What's your plan for the other areas of your life? It sounds like you're facing numerous challenges, any one of which would make running a successful business challenging, and together will make it almost impossible. Supposing you could somehow manage to convince some people help you get your business started, how will you continue to fund it and pay for unexpected setbacks? If you only have $154/month to pay for basic living necessities, where will you get the extra money if you have some vandalism or theft of a machine, etc.? As dogcow pointed out, you need to get in touch with your local SBA and SCORE offices and get somebody to help you put together a business plan. In the meantime, find somebody who has a demonstrated history of making good life decisions and ask them to be your mentor. According to your story, you've been on "hard times" for over 8 years. You are in a rut, and you need help getting out of it. I'm not saying this to be cruel, I'm saying it because it sounds like you are in need of good advice and I want to see you get the help you need to put an end to this downward spiral of misery. Starting a business before you get the rest of your affairs in order would like buying a car before having any form of drivers' education; a recipe for disaster. Somebody who has never been taught how to operate a car has no business owning one. They will wreck it. Likewise, until you get your affairs in order, there are too many things that could undermine your business in a hurry. What if you or your daughter gets sick or injured? Now, you have medical bills to pay, and the money that would have went to keeping your business going will be directed toward paying medical bills, You quickly run out of vending income and start selling machines to pay your bills, and before you know it your business is gone. You see how easily this can happen? In the situation you're currently in, you are not more than one step away from severe difficulty in running your business, you have no safeties or fail-safes that you can put between yourself and failure, no margin for error. Businesses can take years to become successful, even the best in the industry started out making mistakes and learning how to operate a successful business. If even the best need margin for error, you're setting yourself up for failure by taking on something that will require you to do everything perfectly just to make ends meet. You say that traditional jobs don't work for you, but keep in mind that most of us either started by vending part time while working a traditional job, or are still working a traditional job while building our business. There's a saying that says you can't work for yourself until you learn how to work for somebody else. I've met plenty of people that told me that traditional jobs don't work for them, and it turned out that in reality they wouldn't work for traditional jobs. They couldn't follow orders, they couldn't be told what to do, they couldn't be given instruction, they couldn't be responsible, they couldn't be counted on for anything except to do what they wanted to do when they wanted to do it. Don't be one of those people. If you are one of those people, find somebody who can teach you how change your thoughts and behaviors and start training yourself to be successful by being responsible and disciplined. I was one of those people, and I had people do this for me when I was younger, and I now have the privilege of helping other young people break cycles of self-destructive behavior and thinking.

Do you actually have an agreement with Chucky Cheese? If so, you have managed an achievement that few, IF ANY, here can lay claim to. You claim that you do not have the money to buy even one single machine, but buying machines is the EASIEST part of this business. The absolute hardest part is finding profitable locations for your machines.

Maybe one option would be to buy an existing candy route. Many people sell off their machines and route because this is a tough business. That is something you will find out when you get your feet wet. But when you buy existing routes, the sellers might be willing to deal, more so than your Father. They may take a partial payment with recurring monthly payments. Then you can pay for those payments out of the income from the route.

If you want to make some extra money, maybe you can put your locating skills to work and find candy locations, and sell them to other venders who need locations. That way you can make money in this business, and you can get some actual experience without having to invest or sacrifice your own funds. Based on your comments, it sounds like your sole source of income is from child support, and other assistance. That sounds to me like you do not have a paying job. What that means to me is that you have ample time in the day to go out and beat the bushes to find locations and sell them. A typical candy location is easily worth $30 to most candy venders. If you can secure 12 or 16 of those a month (3-4 a week), you will have doubled your monthly child support income. Go to various locations, find all the vendstars, and get the phone number off their NCCS or other charity tags. Call them up and offer your services. Get several clients and when you find locations, if one doesn't want the location, the others might.

Practice locating machines before you invest other people's money in your business... If it turns out your good at locating over the phone (telemarketing), start your own candy machine locator business. You could offer your services to us on the forum and multiple things would happen:

1) You could work from home

2) Earn a decent wage $25-$35 per location

3) It would be mutually benefitial (WIN-WIN) As oppessed to just an $11,000 handout

Good telemarketing locators are hard to find. If you were really good, I bet you could make more than $6,000 per month and you wouldn't be out $11,000 (which you don't have currently) for a bunch of plastic machines... Just $20-$50 per month for a phone. Which you probably already have. Once you saved up $11,000 start your own vending business and you just got paid a lot of money for On The Job Training. There we go, business in a box. Problems solved. Wow I should box this crap up and sell it...

Do you actually have an agreement with Chucky Cheese? If so, you have managed an achievement that few, IF ANY, here can lay claim to. You claim that you do not have the money to buy even one single machine, but buying machines is the EASIEST part of this business. The absolute hardest part is finding profitable locations for your machines.

no she is saying the coin shooters are legal due to the "chuckie cheese law" or "chuckie cheese loophole"

this is a part of gambling laws that make exception for certain type of games that may be found in arcades.

in florida it was known for spawning and industry of "adult arcades" where people played slot machines

that redeemed tickets instead of money, they could redeem the tickets for gift cards instead of cash

Either get some locations and sell them or work for another vendor in bulk or full line I have over 300 machines of my own and still work for a full line vendor who does bulk and video games as well. Vending is work and you would be best off to not try and start up with out any money.

I have some brand new honor boxes I would sell for 1.50 each plus actual shipping if that helps you.

Either get some locations and sell them or work for another vendor in bulk or full line I have over 300 machines of my own and still work for a full line vendor who does bulk and video games as well. Vending is work and you would be best off to not try and start up with out any money.

I have some brand new honor boxes I would sell for 1.50 each plus actual shipping if that helps you.

Looks like you found your first great deal! Take it and build! It's probably the best solution to this because I agree with the others, not many people are giving out money right now and it's hard to be objective online. Good luck Jessica!

Archived