Combo and Drink Machines - Newbie needing info on the best options

Hi, I am relatively new to the vending business. I'm actually researching for my company, and we are going to be installing vending machines in our new training room. We will be stocking these machines ourselves. Our main concerns are noise level and capacity. We have space for 3 machines (1 36" wide space, and one 74.5" wide space.) The larger space is in the training room where noise level will be an issue. The smaller space is in a kitchen. We'd like to be able to serve a variety of drinks and snacks to our guests who are with us for training. Any suggestions on the best equipment out there there to meet these needs? We obviously don't want a headache with machines that constantly break down and/or fail to vend product. I was looking at the combo machine from 1-800 vending but have no way of knowing how good their product is. Any thoughts or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

Is there a reason you want to handle the machines in house? Honestly you might be better off letting a third party vendor that does this for a living put the machines in for you. In the last 6 months I have picked up two accounts from companies that spent way to much money on machines only to find out that if you don't know what you are doing the vending business is a nightmare. Both of these companies actually gave me their machines for free if I would just take them off their hands that's how tired of the headache they were. All machines break, jam, fail to vend, etc some are better than others but they all break which will cost your company time away from whatever it is you do for a living. Just some thoughts...

I have never owned the 1-800 combo's to me they seem over priced, and they are on Craigs list all the time around here so that can't speak to well for them. Most of the newer machines are not that loud but all machines and compressors make some noise and over time they all make more. If you don't clean them and maintain them right this process happens faster. Try to find some machines around you and just listen to them and then buy the one's you think are the best fit for your group. Good luck there is lots of advise on these forums so post any questions you might have someone will be able to help you I am sure.

A big factor to consider is stocking. Vendors can buy in bulk, get discounts from our distributors, and do the market research to stock what really sells on a more dynamic basis. While you can do that, a Vendor will do all that for you. Get a commission set up, and then you get a piece of the action, and all you have to do is collect the checks.

However, I'll try to help if I can. Now, I have no experience in full line, but it is my understanding that Dixie Narco makes some of the best Soda machines, and Automatic products makes some of the best snack machines. As for combos, the only one I've heard good things about (again, from others) are the Seaga Elite Series, found HERE.

Please consider the input of other vendors who have some firsthand experience though, all of my information is secondhand at best.

Unless your training facility has about 100 blue-collar workers in there full-time, I don't think you will do yourself any favors by purchasing new equipment and servicing it yourself. These situations usually lead to managers getting really frustrated when their employees tell them that the machines aren't working or when the employees bring in their own snacks/soda. The managers usually respond with "I spent a lot of money on these machines..." The point is that it can be frustrating, as others have mentioned.

You can call your local Pepsi or Coke bottler. They will give you a machine, at no cost. You can fill it but you must buy the products from Pepsi or Coke. You can charge what you want to charge and you keep the money not spent on product. They will service and repair it but they are sometimes very slow at handling those types of calls.

On your snack, that is a difficult machine to fill. Every one has its own personality. It will take time to learn what products will vend from your coils. Once you have it down it will do OK until someone shakes it. Call one of the equipment supplies in your area and visit them. If you buy from them and not Craigs List they will be available to answer questions when you need them.

Then you will need to have one person in charge of the program from buying product, filling the machine and having a locked place to store product. You will be surprised how much products is taken home from accounts run by employees.

Poplady

I have no idea how in the world you got the idea that the Seaga machines are good machines. Most experienced vendors won't pay scrap metal value for them.

I heard it from a local operator who was retiring. He had had two of them, and really seemed to like them. I don't know a thing about them firsthand, but from the sound of that your post that's probably for the best. Boy, there sure area lot of lemons out there when it comes to full line machines.

I'm interested in the answer to the OP's question also. I am having problems with the machines I have and would like to look at other options. The accounts aren't big enough to justify a full size snack machine and maybe not a full size drink either. I realize ideally you wouldn't want to bother with smaller accounts that didn't justify anything larger than a combo machine, but that's what I happen to have at the moment.

Archived