Hillbilly's Honor Boxes

Hillbilly

As some of you know, I decided to try the honor box vending on a small scale to see if its gonna work out for me.

I work 60 hours a week at my FTJ and do bulk vending and storage unit auctions in my spare time, so I wanted something simple. I am using the small Sheridan cardoard boxes. I split an order with Jax so I didnt have to buy a lot and sold 3 of them. I bought 2 bags of fun size candy bars. 2 different brands. I have Reese Cups, Almond Joy, Babe Ruth,Whoppers, Kit Kat, M&M, Snickers, and a couple more I think.

My COG is right at .10 each. This is all I put in the box. 100 pieces. Selling for .25 each. First month there was 70 bars missing, which should have been 17.50. The money added up to 14.23. So my shrinkage is 3.27 or 13 candy bars.

From what I've gathered, my COG is about normal but my shrinkage is a little high. My triple bulk machines did not suffer at all. I vend GB,RP, and a 1" capsule and they totalled 50.50. So combined the location did 64.73 in 4 weeks. It is a hair and nail salon with no commission.

Would you keep going with the honor box?

I just don't have enough faith in people to want to try it, guess its because what I do and the kind of people I'm around with my full time job. might try putting a sign on the box about theft, i recall a member mention this.

He had 19% shrinkage. Hillbilly, you doubled you money. Your cog was $7.00 on the product which was taken from the box and you made $14.23. Not only do I continue with that box, I expand it with even more selections.

My thoughts are go with a large box add full size chips,candy bars and crackers and the snack box will do more in a month than what your box and bulk are doing now. Charge either $1.00 or $1.25 per snack.

• 2 months later...

Update on this. I let the box sit too long this time. It was completely empty at 7 weeks. I am currently moving and working on getting married (again ) in a few weeks so time has been in short supply. $86 for the honor box and triple bulk I have there. $21 from the honor box. I am continuing with it. May add chips and other stuff next service. This location is a 3 chair salon with a nail technician. They already have drink machine owned by one of the ladies but she is thinking about selling it because she said she never has time to deal with it. She is going to make me a price next time. Have no idea what kind of machine it is though.

Archived